Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate broccoli

Options
  • 15-04-2005 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Folks,

I hate broccoli

Reasons:

It has two shades of green
    It looks the unfortunate by-product of a drunken one night stand between cauliflower and spinach
    It's far too fashionable (blame Arsene Wenger for this one)
    It's never cooked properly - it's possible that it tastes nice in a unknown 10 second window, but no-one knows what this is.
    Everyone else I know loves broccoli and I can hear it taunting me from their plates

Anyone else have an irrational hatred of a vegetable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I love brocolli, but I can't stand Parsnip ... looks horrible & tastes awful too ... bleugh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭coupland

I love the parsnip esp.mashed with carrot...mmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'm very unfortunate in my vegetable dilemma..

There's few that I can eat. Leaves, for a start, make me gag. So that rules out lettuce, cabbage, spinach etc..
    Onions, I hate the texture, no matter how they're cooked. I also don't like the flavour.
    The only vegetables I can eat are - Peas, Sweetcorn, Potatoes and peppers..
    You can imagine how awkward this makes eating out, or buying ready made sandwiches etc..

As a result of the above, I have to take multi-vitamins every day or I'll break when I fall over.. I really wish I could eat my greens.. :(

K.

coupland wrote:
    I love the parsnip esp.mashed with carrot...mmmmmm

That's weird even reading that made me want to puke ... my Mam used to try and hide the parsnips that way in my dinner ... I've said it once and I'll say it again ... Bleugh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I dislike Cauliflower... but I find if done with a cheese sauce I can deal with it.
    I hate parsnips, but if you roast parsnips, kind of like chips they are lovely. Roasting them brings out a sweetness not normally there.

• Advertisement

Dr. Loon wrote:
    I dislike Cauliflower... but I find if done with a cheese sauce I can deal with it.
    I hate parsnips, but if you roast parsnips, kind of like chips they are lovely. Roasting them brings out a sweetness not normally there.

Might try that, but I don't hold out much hope!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I made battered broccoli a few weeks ago. I was quite sceptical but it was in fact astoundingly good. I'm a medium fan of the bib B normally, woldn't cry if it ceased to exist, but this was by far the best-tasting broccoli a man has ever laid tongue on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I made battered broccoli a few weeks ago. I was quite sceptical but it was in fact astoundingly good. I'm a medium fan of the bib B normally, woldn't cry if it ceased to exist, but this was by far the best-tasting broccoli a man has ever laid tongue on.

how did you make it? i would have never thought of batterin broccoli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jackie g

why not try the real stuff - purple sprouting brocolli, which isn't available all year around but is really lovely. the other hulk-like tasteless stuff you get in the shops is vile but purple sprouting brocolli, i would walk a country mile for !,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

orla wrote:
    how did you make it? i would have never thought of batterin broccoli

I think that these are normally called pekoras, I might be wrong, but my slant on this would be that they were vegetable pekoras with broccoli.
    I can post a recipe for pekoras if you would like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I think that these are normally called pekoras, I might be wrong, but my slant on this would be that they were vegetable pekoras with broccoli.
    I can post a recipe for pekoras if you would like.
    Pakoras (sp?) are made with a batter made from chickpea flour (alternatively known as gram flour, or besan). They can be a bit heavy, but an alternative is to make tempura instead, using a very light batter made with cornflour. Nice with other kinds of vegetables too. Just google on "tempura" for recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chica

Broccoli can also be really nice if you stir-fry it for bout 3mins in 3tbl spoons of water and 1-2 tsp of sugar. This is the only way I'd eat it, though your battered brocolli sounds ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 foodietwoshoes

I hated broccoli until I realised that it tastes best a) cooked just right - not too crunchy, not too soft b) with loads of garlic and c) with a pinch of sugar.

Advertisement