Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Askedto leave table after meal but before finishing drinks

Options
  • 13-04-2005 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Just back from a meal out in Dublin and I'm livid. I took two ex-colleagues out and we went for a meal at a bar-restaurant. We had finished the meal (ie main course) and the waitress came back and said are you ordering desert - we said we're not sure we want to finish our drinks first and then decide. 5 minutes later - waitress back again - we really need this table (Wed might 9pm no queues) we said we're finishing or drinks. She said well I need to bring you the bill. So we said fine, but we're finishing our drinks. Paid bill, still not finished our drink - waitress back (5 minutes elapsed) - I need you to move - it's policy you can bring your dinks over to bar area - we said no seats over there, we'll be finished in 5 minutes. She then says she wants to remove one of our tables (2 small ones joined together). I said no-way. We've paid for our drinks and meal and we are going to finish our drinks. I get up and go over to see manager , who kind of apologises (*but not really) and says - well we expect people to move with their drinks once they've finished eating.

Anyone else think this is crappy service beyond belief? I was so embarassed after taking my two friens there - won't be darkening their doorstep in the near future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

The thing is you entered the restaurant and used their services to eat your meal. You were finished your meal and therefore I dont think it was so unreasonable for them to ask you to leave as they were badly stuck for a table. You said the bar was full so indeed the whole place was packed, so it seems to me they were forced into the position to ask you to finish up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sounds like a sh1thole to be honest - name and shame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

well, if they didn't want you to drink at the table they shouldn't have served you drinks.

they shouldn't insist you move. what kind of service is that?

i saw the waiters in zaytoon trying yo do that with a guy who was finishing his can of coke.

they asked him if he could move/leave, he said he had paid for his drink and wanted to finish it. they left him alone.

now i know zaytoon is no flashy restaurant, the place was packed, but they at least had some courtisy not to insist he leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

They weren't asking them to leave, they were politely encouraging them to move over to the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Just a couple of things, the bar was busy - but with people drinking - there was no queue for people waiting for tables to eat.
    We ordered the drinks and meal at the same time - I would assume that we would be given time to finish what we ordered, it wasn't the case that we ordered extra drink after the meal was finished just to stay at the table.
    sci0x wrote:
    They weren't asking them to leave, they were politely encouraging them to move over to the bar.
    No - there was very little polite encouragement in - "you need to move now" "it's our policy for people to move when they've finished eating" and a waitress walking over and trying to remove one of the tables we were sitting at.

As for naming and shaming - I'm quite happy to do so - but don't use this forum often - perhaps a mod could let me know if its appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

what about the people they were trying to give half your table to?

were they requesting this or were they embarassed by the whole thing?

Chalk wrote:
    what about the people they were trying to give half your table to?

were they requesting this or were they embarassed by the whole thing?

There was no-one standing waiting - it may have been that someone was in the bar waiting for a table but certainly no-one was standing there.

Also it wasn't just us - we counted 3 other tables that were asked to vacate as soon as the food was cleared and watched them carry their drinks over to stand in the bar area - including two people carrying a bottle of wine and some glasses.

I've never been asked to do this before - I've eaten in this bar maybe 7 or 8 times and never seen it happen to anyone else either. Just think it's really bad service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭dubadubdub

I'm not a moderator but there shouldn't be a problem with name and shame. In fact I've done the same on this board in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

Hear Hear! Expose the greedy establishment for what it is; a restaraunt that obviously doesn't know a thing about customer service and courtesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Defo name & shame needed here, 'cause I'd make sure I never went there!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

You ordered your drinks with your meal. They were part of your meal.
    If you'd kjnow that they would do that before you sat down you probably would never have eaten there.
    They had no right to move you on.
    Little Casers do this all the time.
    Tip : Don't pay the bill or give a tip until you are completely finished. They wont be so ignorant to you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

it was McDonalds wasn't it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭conformist

you should have got violent and shamed the glass over the waitresses face see her bring you the bill then

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Asking you to move from your table like that is really only acceptable if you've shown up without a booking and they've told you before the meal that they need the table back by a certain time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

a lot of restaurants in dublin have two seating times - ie 7 to 9 and 9 till closing for example.
    Did you pre book the table? if you did then they should have told you at that point the time they wished for you to leave - if they said nothing to you then they had no righ to ask you to leave.
    yes
    name and shame, there is no problem with it and I'd like to know

twas the Market Bar in Georges Arcade, Fade street. I actually followed up with a phone call yesterday 'cos i was so p*$$ed off - but unfortunatley "manager wasn't available and would ring me right back". I'm still waiting......

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I had a vaguely similiar experience there - we were asked to move seats when the restaurant staff were cleaning up the area when they were closing up for the evening. As they were *closing* we didn't mind.. but you should definately follow up with the management, as from what you said the staff seemed pretty rude to you.

Also, perhaps post about it on the forkncork forums? (http://www.forkncork.com/)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

The only time that I would have found something like that acceptable in my ten years working as a waiter was if we had a booking and told the punter that the table was needed at say 9:00 and it was tight seating them at say 8:15, then it is quite acceptable to say that you will seat them as long as they understand that the table is needed at 9:00.
    Sounds like pretty pathetic service to me and to be honest I'd have told them that I dont care what their policy is, that it is my policy not to vacate a table before I am finished my meal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

kinda surprised by the place, as when ever i've eaten there, most of the staff were fine and none as rude as that... really bad form though...

Advertisement