Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boiler Pressure Problem

Options
  • 13-10-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Hey Gang,

we've known for sometime of a very small leak in our sealed gas heating system, the boiler would require a top up every 6/8 weeks. It lost pressure last night and this morning, the mains water is not strong enough to re pressurise the system!!,

Any suggestions ??, Going forward i'm guessing this leak may get worse and require a repair and thus huge digging to repair etc. We did repair one about 5 yrs ago found with a FLIR camera, it was a big leak though, dropping pressure in a couple hours

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

BobMc wrote: »
    Hey Gang,

we've known for sometime of a very small leak in our sealed gas heating system, the boiler would require a top up every 6/8 weeks. It lost pressure last night and this morning, the mains water is not strong enough to re pressurise the system!!,

Any suggestions ??, Going forward i'm guessing this leak may get worse and require a repair and thus huge digging to repair etc. We did repair one about 5 yrs ago found with a FLIR camera, it was a big leak though, dropping pressure in a couple hours

thanks in advance

Does your pressure drop to 0 or .5 bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

0.5 / 0.6 or so normally pressurise to 1.0 or 1.1 bar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

0.5 / 0.6 or so normally pressurise to 1.0 or 1.1 bar

You might have a leak in the cylinder coil, or the expansion vessel might be leaking.

Ta, we've a seperate expansion vessell attached, the one in the boiler failed along time ago, the replacement is up in the hot press, the problem though seems to be the water pressure to refill, you can normally hear it filling it, this morning, not a dicky bird. I'll check again tonight and I'll get the expansion checked too thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Post a pict if the filler.

If its a autofiller that your opening and closing they can get stuck and give no water

• Advertisement

Yea, we did have an auto filler along time back, its been removed, manage to get enough water in yesterday evening to get it going, I believe the pressure release valve might be gone too as its got a slow drip on the outflow pipe that drops down outside. I'm gonna need it looked at

Yea, we did have an auto filler along time back, its been removed, manage to get enough water in yesterday evening to get it going, I believe the pressure release valve might be gone too as its got a slow drip on the outflow pipe that drops down outside. I'm gonna need it looked at

Get your safety valve replaced first before you start worrying about pipe work leakage.

You need to have your boiler and system checked to prove that the leaking safety valve isn't a symptom of a further problem like sludge which could of originally caused your boilers defective expansion vessel.

Advertisement