Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edmondstown GC

• 22-07-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,

Anybody familiar with the club..?

Looking to make a move to try to join..

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its not bad but there are better courses nearby IMO.
    All depends on how much you are willing to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Havnt played it in a good while but I'd put it at average to be honest. I don't know how much it would be to join but I doubt it would be cheap. I wouldn't like to be a member.

I just checked as it used to be 12k a couple of years ago, however it's down to under 2k now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I know a lad who got in recently for €700.00, subs about €1,800.00 per year. Not sure if that deal is still available.

I'd have it below The Grange and The Castle and above Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I know a lad who got in recently for €700.00, subs about €1,800.00 per year. Not sure if that deal is still available.

It's just Grange... For the love of god can someone please think of the children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 linksrookie

Thanks all - joining fees at Grange & Castle are out of my range.. Unless anyone can shed any light on Castle's junior membership rate?

Edmondstown is quite generous when it comes to enrolling under 30s so it's probably my best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I joined this year

No problems getting a tee time as membership numbers are small

Members are very friendly in general.

Facilities not as good as Grange maybe, (18 vs. 27 holes) but then it doesn't have as many Par 3's

Overall i've been delighted with the move - the proximity to my house is such that I go down at 8pm and play 6-9 practice holes in the evening on a very quiet course. The front 9 is better than the back 9 but overall its a good track

thewing wrote: »
    I joined this year

Facilities not as good as Grange maybe, (18 vs. 27 holes) but then it doesn't have as many Par 3's

Overall i've been delighted with the move - the proximity to my house is such that I go down at 8pm and play 6-9 practice holes in the evening on a very quiet course. The front 9 is better than the back 9 but overall its a good track

Those 8pm runs are what I'd be looking forward to as well - currently live in Dundrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

thewing wrote: »
    I joined this year

+1 I know a few members there and anytime I've been there it's been very welcoming. A nice club to be a member of.

The greens are good too, a couple of seasons there and you'll be able to putt anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

They do a lovely bacon and sausage sambo too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its not bad but there are better courses nearby IMO.
    All depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Such as Grange ;)

eoghan104 wrote: »

Careful now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

In all seriousness I have always enjoyed my golf there and see it as a decent track.

If the offer is as above I would see it as value.

eoghan104 wrote: »

Neither clever nor welcome thanks.

stevieob wrote: »
    Such as Grange ;)

Slightly more expensive!

Slightly more expensive!

I've never played it.

Have played Castle a few times. Must be best part of 10 years ago though so don't remember to much about it, but I do recall always enjoying it.

Played Edmondstown twice and it's certainly not the worst course I've played. If the deal was good, and the location suited me, I would certainly consider it, but definately wise to compare the pro's and con's. Eg, do you have mates there? could be a deal maker or breaker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Grew up in the area so have played it many times, not always legally, in fact hardly ever legally :-)

It's a grand spot, very well kept. Not sure they have practice facilites anymore. When I was a kid the area that is now the 10th and 11th holes was a grand driving range, got chucked off it many a time!

If I still lived in the area, it would certainly be well up on my list. Have you considered Stackstown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Its a decent track, not too bad, not great. Certainly not in the same league as Castle or Grange (see, I got it right :)) IMHO.

Greens are very severe, dare I say a poor design.....?
    Front nine is definitely better than the back, in fact its a very good nine holes of golf. Back nine has 3 or 4 very ordinary holes from 13 to 16, with a good finish. I much preferred the layout pre M50 issues and the redesign, but hey, there you go.
    Do they still have a little practice ground to the left of the current 14th ?

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Grew up in the area so have played it many times, not always legally, in fact hardly ever legally :-)

It's a grand spot, very well kept. Not sure they have practice facilites anymore. When I was a kid the area that is now the 10th and 11th holes was a grand driving range, got chucked off it many a time!

If I still lived in the area, it would certainly be well up on my list. Have you considered Stackstown?

Yep, Stackstown and Edmondstown are the two most likely within my budgetary and locality constraints so I'll try get a couple of rounds in each before membership season opens.

Thanks all.

I'm so sorry if I offended anyone with my inclusion of the forbidden word "the" in my previous post. If you are looking for a no fee entry club Lisheen Springs is 17 min from Rathfarnham Village and a great test of golf.

• Advertisement

Barnaboy wrote: »

Lol, have visions of the Seve documentary that was on recently when he was saying about how he used to hit a few balls with the 3 iron over the house and run over to get them quickly before they got taken from him!

A lot of people hate Stackstown. I never thought it was as bad as they made out. Yea there are few bad holes, but some lovely ones. It's tough going though. I think I always played it with a golf glider, but recently I carried. Never again, If you do play here, you need electric power!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

[QUOTE=stevieob;91414657 A lot of people hate Stackstown. I never thought it was as bad as they made out. Yea there are few bad holes, but some lovely ones. It's tough going though. I think I always played it with a golf glider, but recently I carried. Never again, If you do play here, you need electric power!!![/QUOTE]

Hate ? there are courses I dont like and tend not to play them ..... but hating a golf course :rolleyes: otherwise you are bang on. Stackstown has twenty holes and the old 18 is very tough going, usually used on medals and major days. The alternate 18 has two newish holes designed by P.Harrington and is more playable for the average golfer. Stunning views of Dublin this time of the year ;)

Glen of the Downs may also be worth checking out as prices are dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Ronney

Student/u30 membership in Castle/Grange would not be that muchout of your price range. Getting in would be the tricky thing.

You would need them to have a gap at your age level (lads emigrating etc.) and if you happened to be a very low H/C who would be a contender for Senior/Junior cup would help alot too.

Worth contacting each to see

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I went for Stackstown out there due to the value (€900 for the year). Super friendly club and not a bad track at all and challenging around the greens if a little short.

I would love to join The Castle or Grange but the entrance fees are madness at €12k each and €2k per year, they are better courses but not by this margin.

stevieob wrote: »
    Lol, have visions of the Seve documentary that was on recently when he was saying about how he used to hit a few balls with the 3 iron over the house and run over to get them quickly before they got taken from him!

A lot of people hate Stackstown. I never thought it was as bad as they made out. Yea there are few bad holes, but some lovely ones. It's tough going though. I think I always played it with a golf glider, but recently I carried. Never again, If you do play here, you need electric power!!!

The tough walk for Stackstown is massively over rated.. I have carried my bag around a few times with no issues. The course maybe on the side of a hill but there are very few steep walks apart from the old holes and the 18th. Outside of this nothing too heavy.

Rippeditup wrote: »
    I went for Stackstown out there due to the value (€900 for the year). Super friendly club and not a bad track at all and challenging around the greens if a little short.

I would love to join The Castle or Grange but the entrance fees are madness at €12k each and €2k per year, they are better courses but not by this margin.

Again, you are not paying X times because the club is necessarily X times better (though it often can be :))
    its because there are Y times as many people trying to get in.
    Supply : Demand

Again, you are not paying X times because the club is necessarily X times better (though it often can be :))
    its because there are Y times as many people trying to get in.
    Supply : Demand

I fully understand this but thank you for the lessons in economics.. Value is something that I personally look for alongside quality and when making a decision I went for Stackstown as I just wasn't mad on Edmonstown and don't regret it one bit as I love the atmosphere in Stackstown and its a good course that will only make your short game better

I fully understand this but thank you for the lessons in economics.. Value is something that I personally look for alongside quality and when making a decision I went for Stackstown as I just wasn't mad on Edmonstown and don't regret it one bit as I love the atmosphere in Stackstown and its a good course that will only make your short game better

I was replying to your point "not better by this margin" which seemed to me at least that you thought the entrance fee was tied purely to the quality of the course.
    Anywho enjoy your golf and the complimentary economics lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

The tough walk for Stackstown is massively over rated.. I have carried my bag around a few times with no issues. The course maybe on the side of a hill but there are very few steep walks apart from the old holes and the 18th. Outside of this nothing too heavy.

I played it for the first time last Friday it was really nice great views of the city alot more forgiving then Grange. Not as hilly as I thought it would be but not sure would fancy it on a cold windy winters day especially the 18th. I felt it the next day in the legs pulling a trolley.

• Advertisement

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I played it for the first time last Friday it was really nice great views of the city alot more forgiving then Grange. Not as hilly as I thought it would be but not sure would fancy it on a cold windy winters day especially the 18th. I felt it the next day in the legs pulling a trolley.

Up the 18th into the wind can be a tough slog alright!

Up the 18th into the wind can be a tough slog alright!

Played it for the first time myself too this week. Was a very nice night for it, but the 18th is tough...

Coming off the 17th... "Ok, last hole then a nice pint............... JESUS."

Hopefully get a round in at Edmondstown this week.

I grew up in the area and was never a fan of Stackstown, of the courses in the vicinity I would rate the as follows. 1. Castle 2. Grange 3. Edmondstown 4. Rathfarnham 5. Stackstown. If I was to join one it would probably be Grange as the membership are very welcoming, never fnd that in Castle ( although the staff are really welcoming). Rathfarnham is extending to 18 holes so maybe looking for new members. It all depends on your criteria, course condition, friendliness, distance to course, financial. Weigh it up and make a call. AA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

I grew up in the area and was never a fan of Stackstown, of the courses in the vicinity I would rate the as follows. 1. Castle 2. Grange 3. Edmondstown 4. Rathfarnham 5. Stackstown. If I was to join one it would probably be Grange as the membership are very welcoming, never fnd that in Castle ( although the staff are really welcoming). Rathfarnham is extending to 18 holes so maybe looking for new members. It all depends on your criteria, course condition, friendliness, distance to course, financial. Weigh it up and make a call. AA

Grew up there myself and I would go along with that ranking, although Castle & Grange are IMO well above the others and they (others) could be in any particular order. Rathfarnham is a sneakily decent track.

Advertisement