Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving distance

Options
  • 21-07-2014 5:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi all,
    just wondering how far on average you can drive off the tee and also what age are you?

Obviously it depends on a lot of conditions but how far can the pros drive it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

not to mention whether i use a wooden or plastic tee.
    I find i get an extra yardage with plastic tees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

This should be entertaining. The longest on tour is Bubba Watson and his average is 313 yards. Graeme McDowell would be on the shorter side of tour pros but still a lot longer than us mere mortals and his average is 276 yards.

The google earth ruler tool is very accurate and gives you a good representation as to how far your average drives are. Prepare to be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Good ones are good, maybe 240, an exceptional maybe 250, but average probably no more than something between 210 and 230? Oh and I'm mid forties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

Boskowski wrote: »
    Good ones are good, maybe 240, an exceptional maybe 250, but average probably no more than something between 210 and 230? Oh and I'm mid forties.

Now that is way too honest for d'interweb........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

Mid 40's carry 240 never seen to get any run, often walk up to find pitch mark at ball, love to be able to get some decent run out. Sunday golfers 220 to 240 is my guess at average drives. Pros are outstanding to see hit balls, never pass up an opportunity to see them in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Used that Maps Ruler app to check a couple of distances, assuming it's accurate: on the first hole of the course I (used to) play in the area in which I would consider a decent drive is about 215m from the tee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Watson would get a look in with me.. To bad my short game is ****e:)
    Good luck to him

Russman wrote: »
    Now that is way too honest for d'interweb........:D

I have a small willy too (no I don't) :D

In all seriousness I don't think there is anything wrong with 230. I see plenty of lads on handicaps between 10 and 18 that are in my range and plenty worse. Its good enough for the length of courses we play. And if I can't reach that 460 yards signature par 4 index 1 I think thats cool for my handicap too.

Actually just measured using google ruler from our 1st tee (whites) to the brow of the drop where my drive stopped on Sunday and it says 238 metres. I'm an animal! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

With a Callaway X2Hot Pro and Project X PXv shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

The above seems strange. Flightscope Trajectory Optimiser gives a carry of 229.5 yards for those launch conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Maybe I've been had.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I actually don't think people over estimate on d'interweb in bad faith, I think it's more to do with blind faith.

Average distances quoted tend to be averages of "good drives" (or possibly "great drives")

I can't remember the last time I measured how far it went after I knocked one down and I don't think I've ever said to my myself "must check how far I hit that one that was a bit heely".... But if I bomb one the watch is out all the time :)
    (It's not, I don't really care tbh).

Nobody ever measures it when it's soft, the ground that is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

zuutroy wrote: »
    The above seems strange. Flightscope Trajectory Optimiser gives a carry of 229.5 yards for those launch conditions.

I'd agree, my numbers were better than that in American golf yesterday and I was getting 280's total with 20-30 yards of roll.
    100 swing speed, 13 degrees launch, 2200 and under spin.
    That's with sldr, covert 2 and D913.
    Think you've been had mate!

I was averaging 275 out of 40 odd drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

For a thread like this I don't think ,for amateurs, the word average should be included unless its average of your good hits.

My average would be somewhere around the 100yd mark if I counted all my topped shots and I'm only playing since November.

Then you have to take into account carry or carry with roll, flat or downhill, wind etc.

I prefer to see a couple of iron distances along with the driver.

I played a round with a guy a few weeks back and he was quite short with his irons but could roll his driver out to 240yds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Am actually interested to lnow how far I hit a drive id guess but have no idea.

I played palmerstown on sat and can remember most of my drives would this course to on google maps?

Use Google Earth, the program you download is the handiest way - http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Carry it about 280ish plus whatever roll then. 31 yrs old, 6ft 2 brown hair blue eyes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Have just used Google Maps to measure (approximately) a couple of drives I hit recently at my home club. I picked two drives I figured I could gauge accurately (ie, they were left side of fairway, just past fairway bunker, or whatever)... one measured at 235m (~260yds) and the other at 245m (~270yds)... these would have been two of my best drives on the day (HC 13), playing in decent conditions, with roll. I'm far from a big-hitter but when I hit a good un I'm rarely left too far behind lads I play with - and I play regularly and with all levels of golfer.

Only hit the driver 4 times and these were the only ones I can say to within a couple of feet where I ended up on Sunday. The 12th I landed between a few humps on the right and on the 18th I was 71yds from the flag. The longest I've hit on that hole by about 20yds

Guess which one went high and right :D

All joking aside, I think that here in Ireland conditions, both weather and lie of the land, play such a huge factor that average driving distance is pretty random. We have two back to back par 4s that are the exact same length but one is usually a drive and a fairway wood or hybrid (often followed by a pitch !) and the other is often a drive/3 wood and a 7 or 8 iron.
    FWIW I think I'm solidly in the "average" category, driver swing speed 99-104mph, sometimes get steep and spinny, but usually around 2,600rpm, launch about 11-12deg. No idea what distance that equates to in real world, flat conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Very interesting! Just tried Google Maps ruler on yesterday's drives and they all measured in or around 220 to 230m. It was a good day with the driver!

I'm 41 and fairly fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I don't know how far I hit it . 220 to 250 range.
    Mid thirties

But I still maintain we all have over 300 yards in us. But we only do it 1 in 20 or so.

It is irrelevant anyway. Because the better you get the less you play driver.

For me golf is about the 200 yard club.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

I would consider myself long....:P
    I imagine some people think they hit it a lot further than they actually do, I used to.
    Probably hitting it further lately though on average....
    Mid 30's

14708969554_63d8cda639_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Reganovski wrote: »
    I would consider myself long....:P
    But I think people think they hit the ball a lot further than they actually do..I was one such person till I got this.
    Probably hitting it further lately though on average....

What is "this"?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I can hit 285 when i hit on a the sweetspot, but sadly it can also go 300 yards left or right from time to time:pac:

About 260-270 average. I am 30

Interesting alright.

Another thing when you think about television and watching them hitting 7 irons into 195 yards is that these guys rarely play in nasty conditions. Especially on the PGA tour they will almost always play in 25º plus, on manicured places where its virtually impossible to catch an ugly lie.

I know they hit it a million miles better than I do. Always out of the middle and fantastic angles with great swing speeds,. But the above is certainly a factor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Interesting alright.

Another thing when you think about television and watching them hitting 7 irons into 195 yards is that these guys rarely play in nasty conditions. Especially on the PGA tour they will almost always play in 25º plus, on manicured places where its virtually impossible to catch an ugly lie.

I know they hit it a million miles better than I do. Always out of the middle and fantastic angles with great swing speeds,. But the above is certainly a factor.
    Also got to factor in their 7 irons loft is not the same as one off the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Interesting alright.

Not to mention hard fairways light warm air and warm balls.
    Sure yesterday I had to club back a club and a half with the humidity and drove 330yard drive during my round. Everybody's gullibility when it comes to trackman astounds me, algorithms determine conditions, ball type, etc.
    Trackman does not trace your ball carry and roll out it estimates it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hit an 8 iron 200 yards for old time sake today. (Lol)

Big hitting no country for old men.

Advertisement