Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail accept normal student cards outside Dublin?

• 20-10-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can see Irish Rail are happy to accept student cards from any college outside of Dublin. But will not accept them from dublin college's. Isn't this a bit of a joke? How do they get away with this? How do people feel about it?

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=279

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You need to have a student travel card for Dublin area MONTHLY and WEEKLY tickets, Dublin Bus and Luas require same. There are no student single/returns in the greater Dublin area. This is tied into the leap smartcard system so you have to have the correct card for 2013 or else you won't be able to get a student weekly/monthly ticket

So a DCU ID card is perfectly valid for Dublin Cork return, but not valid for a weekly Cobh - Cork ticket. CIT ID is valid for Cobh Cork weekly, and Cork Dublin (or indeed Dublin Sligo) but not valid for a monthly ticket in Dublin

Seems completely reasonable as it applies to weekly/monthly only
    Seasonal Tickets
    Weekly or Monthly tickets are perfect for students travelling to and from college everyday. These tickets offer great savings and convenience.

For travel within the Short Hop Zone (SHZ) a valid Leap Student Travelcard or Student Travelcard are the only ID's accepted.
    For travel outside Short Hope Zone a valid Leap Student Travelcard, Student Travelcard or a college ID from one of the following colleges are the only ID's accepted;

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

My brain hurts.

The original policy was that only Student Travelcards and Translink student cards would get you a discount.

Now it seems that a random selection of student IDs will get you student fares otherwise you need a Travelcard. Presumably, those with Translink cards can go screw themselves as they aren't mentioned anywhere in the text.

It all seems rather arbitrary and discriminatory to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 meh64

Thanks for the response going no where, I was refering more to the list of college ID'S accepted beneath that part, I'd post it but since in table copy paste would be a bit messy which has no dublin college on it. Which seems to me they wouldn't be accepted for say cork dublin train return.
    Hungerford wrote: »
    My brain hurts.

The original policy was that only Student Travelcards and Translink student cards would get you a discount.

Now it seems that a random selection of student IDs will get you student fares otherwise you need a Travelcard. Presumably, those with Translink cards can go screw themselves as they aren't mentioned anywhere in the text.

It all seems rather arbitrary and discriminatory to me.

Yeah I remember the original poicy was well, altough I'm wondering if those ID's were always accepted and I had simply forgotten as I knew dublin ID'S were not. But yeah as far as I recall it was student travelcard only and now it seems to be a bunch of random colleges. At first glance I thought it was just dublin as that was the most obvious hole but there are other colleges like sligo it etc. now that I think about it that are missing.

It seems a bit ridiculous and disriminatory in my opinion too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

meh64 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can see Irish Rail are happy to accept student cards from any college outside of Dublin. But will not accept them from dublin college's. Isn't this a bit of a joke? How do they get away with this? How do people feel about it?

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=279

They do accept them from Dublin Colleges. Have a look at the leaflets available around Connolly station the next time that you are there.

Advertisement