Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Cherrywood to Pearse Street for evening course

• 28-09-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I am starting an evening course next week that will run every Tuesday and Thursday in Pearse street from 6.30pm to 9.30pm.

I work in Cherrywood, Loughlinstown, in an office and I'm wondering what the fastest way to get from there to Pearse street is.

I would just drive into town but I need to take into account city centre traffic at rush hour, and nearby parking.

So far I'm thinking I can leave work at 5.30, drive to Shankhill Dart station and get the Dart from there.

Can anyone think of any other way that might be a little faster? We're really busy in work at the moment and I don't want to be running out earlier than necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

If you took the Luas to Stephen's Green and walk to Pearse Street you should make it in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your schedule is probably too tight for the bus to be an option. The potential solution is to pick up the 145 coming from Kilmacanogue on the N11 (if it's walkable from your office) to UCD and then the 47 to Pearse St. where you'd have a choice of five bus stops to alight!

The 47 runs every 30 minutes at that time of the day and the 145 runs every 10 minutes so you'd be relying on linking to a specific 47 in order to make it work and if the 145 was late you'd be high and dry.

Most of the city centre car parks are cheaper if you arrive after 6 p.m. so I'd consider driving in, especially with the winter coming in. You could park in Setanta and walk through Trinity to Pearse St.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

coylemj wrote: »
    Your schedule is probably too tight for the bus to be an option. The potential solution is to pick up the 145 coming from Kilmacanogue on the N11 (if it's walkable from your office) to UCD and then the 47 to Pearse St. where you'd have a choice of five bus stops to alight!

The 47 runs every 30 minutes at that time of the day and the 145 runs every 10 minutes so you'd be relying on linking to a specific 47 in order to make it work and if the 145 was late you'd be high and dry.

Most of the city centre car parks are cheaper if you arrive after 6 p.m. so I'd consider driving in, especially with the winter coming in. You could park in Setanta and walk through Trinity to Pearse St.

Don't you think the traffic would be crazy at that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Driving in will take you an hour, give or take. The slowest section will be in and around D 4 so maybe drop your car around Booterstown or Blackrock stations and train or bus it in from there. At that hour parking spaces will be had plus you can relax a little bit in and out of town.

lillou wrote: »
    Don't you think the traffic would be crazy at that time?

Not quite 'crazy', you'd be going against the traffic for most of the way, the inbound N11 would be no problem. You'd encounter two main bottlenecks....

1. Turning right at Donnybrook Church into Anglesea Road to head to Pearse St. via Ballsbridge as the outbound traffic would be getting a higher priority in the evening rush hour.

2. Turning right at Mount St. bridge onto Clanwilliam Place because there's no filter so you have to barge through when the lights change and if you get stuck behind a wimp, you're screwed.

You could also consider veering off the N11 at Cornelscourt onto Clonkeen Road and going in via the Rock Road (to avoid Donnybrook) but the N11 is easier because on several stretches of the Rock Road there's only one lane for cars with the bus lane so more potential for congestion and Deansgrange Cross is another bottleneck to avoid.

• Advertisement

Driving in will take you an hour, give or take. The slowest section will be in and around D 4 so maybe drop your car around Booterstown or Blackrock stations and train or bus it in from there. At that hour parking spaces will be had plus you can relax a little bit in and out of town.

An hour might be a bit pessimistic but I'd agree that the Drive & Dart is worth considering. OP you probably don't need a drive in the city centre at the end of a day's work and before doing a night class so consider the Dart option but bear in mind that there's no right turn into Booterstown station from the inbound Rock Road so you'd have to drive in the N11 from Cherrywood, turn right into Booterstown Ave. and at the bottom go straight through the lights into the station car park, that would probably be an easier option than tackling Blackrock at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

If you prefer to leave the car in work there's a free feeder bus to Shankill Dart station at 5.30. This will get you to Tara Street at 6.25. You'd be relying on the Dart to be punctual during the winter. The earlier one is 4.45. The 145 or Luas will get you back to your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

I think driving in or taking the LUAS would be the best option. Should take about 10 mins to walk from Stephens Green to Pearse Street.

The road works in Bray have completely scrambled the timings on the 145. You could wait 5 mins or 45 mins (today & Wednesday morning at Loughlinstown Hospital). Not sure when these works will be finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

While I can't comment on the length of time it would take, there is no need to change bus at UCD. Just get the 145 all the way to either Suffolk St (bottom of Grafton St or the next stop at the Quays (just at the corner of Westmoreland St and O'Connell bridge). Pearse St is literally less than a five min walk from either. Bus lanes speed up the journey in rush hour traffic. I get that bus regularly and most of the drivers fly along. HTH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

Just to let you know I tried, Luas, Dart and driving. Driving seems to be the best taking 40 minutes to one hour door to door, with Luas and Dart both taking at least an hour.

Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I used to drive in the n11 from cherrywood to griffith at 5pm. no traffic, apart from maybe donnybrook. took 25-35 mins.
    failing that the 145 is quicker than the Luas

Advertisement