Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving distance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm out for practice tonight and will use the links above to get some numbers.

I consider myself a big hitter only because people I play with tell me, in that I'm always out ahead by big distance, and when I play with notorious big hitters in the club I'm up alongside them

Be interested to see what figures I get tonight. Is Ruler for earth a PC programme? Assumed it was an inapp function.

How exactly are you using it to measure yardage? WAsn't aware it had ability to save pin locations like say maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Very rarely use driver off the tee as its pretty erratic but using the ruler tool on maps its saying im hitting my Adams 21 degree rescue 220 yards off the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭bicboy6666

average over 260 yards, im 18, hard to judge though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Hijpo wrote: »
    Very rarely use driver off the tee as its pretty erratic but using the ruler tool on maps its saying im hitting my Adams 21 degree rescue 220 yards off the tee.

Keep doing that then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

200M. Age 44. Distances improving with technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I was playing with a young golfer today and he was driving the ball extremely well. He's the fourth such junior I've come across that would average 260+ off the tee and have one or two 280yds drives a round. He had a legitimate 300yd drive today and he's only 16.

There's a lot of juniors in the club and a lot of them off single figures, and while they don't all hit it long a good chunk do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I was playing with a young golfer today and he was driving the ball extremely well. He's the fourth such junior I've come across that would average 260+ off the tee and have one or two 280yds drives a round. He had a legitimate 300yd drive today and he's only 16.

There's a lot of juniors in the club and a lot of them off single figures, and while they don't all hit it long a good chunk do

I regularly play with a 17 yr old who is as long as me if not a little longer. Quality ball striker too. Off 3.6 at the mo but should deffo get lower

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Measured a few that I hit the other day using that google ruler

Hole 1 – 221 yards
    Hole 2 – 271 yards
    Hole 3 – 250 yards
    Hole 4 – 322 yards
    Hole 5 – 255 yards
    Hole 6 – 260 yards
    Hole 7 – 260 yards

Averages about 263 yards but conditions were perfect id say i am close to the 250 yard mark on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

is there a app for iphone or android that measures driving distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Swing by swing for android has a usable distance indication, but i find it unreliable, and lately, it just bounces back with an ad every time i try to mark it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm out for practice tonight and will use the links above to get some numbers.

I consider myself a big hitter only because people I play with tell me, in that I'm always out ahead by big distance, and when I play with notorious big hitters in the club I'm up alongside them

Be interested to see what figures I get tonight. Is Ruler for earth a PC programme? Assumed it was an inapp function.

How exactly are you using it to measure yardage? WAsn't aware it had ability to save pin locations like say maps.
    The ruler is part of Google Earth, it's on the toolbar. You choose what dimension to use: yards, feet, metres, kilometres ;), then click your start point and end point and it gives you the length.

As said above, hours of endless fun :)

is there a app for iphone or android that measures driving distance?
    I'm using an app called Golflogix at the moment. There's a free version and a paid version but the free version is fine. It gives distances to the centre of the green, from which you can calculate your drive distance. Has most of the Irish courses in its database. It also saves your score cards for you if you enter your shots after each hole.

Runs on all platforms: Android, iPhone and Windows Phone.

rrpc wrote: »
    The ruler is part of Google Earth, it's on the toolbar. You choose what dimension to use: yards, feet, metres, kilometres ;), then click your start point and end point and it gives you the length.

As said above, hours of endless fun :)

I couldnt find this oddly enough. So I got a uler app that integrates with google maps and google earth. Must see about this inbuilt ruler.

Anyway ran the ruler last night out on the course for my drives.

Average was 297yrds. Thrilled considering it's what I would have "thought" my distance was, and there was a stiff enough breeze.

Found myself using the app non stop to be honest, more so with my irons. Something I've never really put much time into was measuring my irons. I kinda have a good "feel" in terms of what distance I can hit my irons, but it was a good help in actually measuring my irons out.

Had a few scruffy practice balls and marked them the number of the iron I was hitting. Went to a flat fairway and just hit a ball for each iron. Going to integrate that into my practice for a bit, to see if I can get a good grip on how far I hit my irons.

Interesting last nigh, and something I had kinda knew already, was I hit my 4iron further then my 21* Hybrid, which is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm using an app called Golflogix at the moment. There's a free version and a paid version but the free version is fine. It gives distances to the centre of the green, from which you can calculate your drive distance. Has most of the Irish courses in its database. It also saves your score cards for you if you enter your shots after each hole.

Runs on all platforms: Android, iPhone and Windows Phone.

Thats a terribly inaccurate way of doing it unless you know exactly how the hole was measured from the tee.

The only way to measure is to mark the tee and then mark where your ball is and use GPS or Google to give you the number. Relying in anyway on the numbers on the card/tee is woefully inaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I couldnt find this oddly enough. So I got a uler app that integrates with google maps and google earth. Must see about this inbuilt ruler.

Average was 297yrds. Thrilled considering it's what I would have "thought" my distance was, and there was a stiff enough breeze.

Found myself using the app non stop to be honest, more so with my irons. Something I've never really put much time into was measuring my irons. I kinda have a good "feel" in terms of what distance I can hit my irons, but it was a good help in actually measuring my irons out.

Had a few scruffy practice balls and marked them the number of the iron I was hitting. Went to a flat fairway and just hit a ball for each iron. Going to integrate that into my practice for a bit, to see if I can get a good grip on how far I hit my irons.

Interesting last nigh, and something I had kinda knew already, was I hit my 4iron further then my 21* Hybrid, which is weird.

What's the app called?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

any chance these apps are like the old weighing scales...you need to make sure it is at zero before you weigh

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    What's the app called?
    Maps Ruler 2 is the one I got. You go via the app itself and its integrated with Google maps.
    any chance these apps are like the old weighing scales...you need to make sure it is at zero before you weigh

Is that a roundabout way of you saying I'm bull****ting?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GCW

Last time I played, I measured average drives with driver for 9 holes using Google Earth. Discounted 2 holes where I hit 4i off the tee. Averaging 253yds - info below.

270 (downhill, with slight breeze)
    255 (flat, into slight breeze)
    243 (uphill)
    250 (slightly downhill)
    235 (flat, into slight breeze)
    270 (wild hook that chased up the fairway of adjacent hole :))

Looks pretty impressive (to me). However, the ground is rock hard at the moment the air is warm. By my calculations, a Sunday best dig in normal Irish conditions would be on average, about 15yds shorter and that's with a "Sunday best" being counted on each hole.

I think we all take the average of our Sunday best on every hole and then add about 15 yards when we answer these questions without hard facts to back them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My distance would be poor at the moment, maybe 210 yards average, playing a weak high shot at the moment, but it's keeping me in play and I'm happy to keep to it.
    Was playing a very low draw for a couple of years when I was playing links, I'd say my average was 240 yards then and that was never hitting it out of the middle.
    Links fairways would add 30 yards to anyone's average.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Thats a terribly inaccurate way of doing it unless you know exactly how the hole was measured from the tee.

The only way to measure is to mark the tee and then mark where your ball is and use GPS or Google to give you the number. Relying in anyway on the numbers on the card/tee is woefully inaccurate.
    No, I look at it on the tee and it gives distance to green centre. Then stand by my ball and get distance again and then subtract distance two from distance one.

How is that woefully inaccurate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

No, I look at it on the tee and it gives distance to green centre. Then stand by my ball and get distance again and then subtract distance two from distance one.

How is that woefully inaccurate?

Because the distance from the tee to the green centre is measured along a specific route, either the shortest possible straight route between the tee and the green or tracking along the centre of the fairway if it's intelligent enough. Either way, unless you hit your drive exactly along the line the app is using, you are going to get a distorted result.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Edit: meant to quote rrpc

Think about a severe dogleg.
    It might be 340 on the card but it might only be 280 or so from the tee to green (as the crow flies).

If I take on that dogleg and land 10 yards short I haven't hit it 330 as your method would conclude. I've hit it 270.

Measuring the way you do is probably doing yourself out of driver distance (unless you're constantly hitting it straight down an agressive line)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    240 - early 30's

^^ this was yards....

that google ruler thing is the business! I hit the ball a little further than I thought.

Thank you whoever suggested it.

I played in the open day this morning.

Driver (233.4 metres average) / 255 yards average

hole 1 - 220m
    hole 3 - 250m
    hole 5 - 230m
    hole 7 - 243m
    hole 8 - 230m
    hole 9 - 219m
    hole 11 - 239m
    hole 12 - 244m
    hole 16 - 240m
    hole 18 - 219m

5 Wood ( 211 metres Average ) / 230 yards average

hole 4 - 215m
    hole 13 - 209m
    hole 14 - 201m
    hole 15 - 219m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Maps Ruler 2 is the one I got. You go via the app itself and its integrated with Google maps.

Played nine holes and used this last night to get some real numbers.

1st: 3 wood to right rough. 190 yards
    2nd: Driver to fairway. 224 yards
    3rd: 4i to green. 196 yards
    4th: Driver to right rough. 248 yards
    5th: 3 wood to right rough. 221 yards.
    6th: 3 wood to fairway. 242 yards!! (hit the path and sprung forward :P)
    7th: 4i to green. 193 yards
    8th: Driver to fairway. 240 yards.
    9th: 7i to bunker. 155 yards.

Oddly enough my second shot on the par five 2nd with my thee wood was ten yards longer than my drive.

Seeing real numbers is a bit surreal!

PARlance wrote: »
    Edit: meant to quote rrpc

Think about a severe dogleg.
    It might be 340 on the card but it might only be 280 or so from the tee to green (as the crow flies).

If I take on that dogleg and land 10 yards short I haven't hit it 330 as your method would conclude. I've hit it 270.

Measuring the way you do is probably doing yourself out of driver distance (unless you're constantly hitting it straight down an agressive line)
    OK, that's accepted. But give me some credit for actually knowing whether I'm online or offline and being able to compensate. A lot of apps will also give you the option to measure your shot from the tee rather than to the green.

This is where the ruler is in Google Earth:

315716.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

This is where the ruler is in Google Earth:

315716.jpg

That on a desktop pc or mobile app?

I was using it on the course via the mobile. Click a button and it pinpointed my position, hit my shot, clicked button again when I reached ball it marked the distance between the two clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Using the google maps tool it looks my 3 wood is going around 210 metres/230 yards on a typical tee shot.

Driver is generally generally between 220m (when sliced) and 240m (when hit straight).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Advertisement