Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TD's commute: Richard Boyd Barrett claims €12k for car repairs & driving 12km to Dail

• 18-10-2012 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Richard Boyd Barrett claims €12,000 for car repairs and travelling 12km to Dail

He has confirmed that he claimed €12,000 last year in expenses for travelling to the Dail from his home in Glenageary, in his Dun Laoghaire constituency -- a distance of just 12km.

He said he used the full amount for travel expenses -- including his car-repair bills.

"First of all, my car had to be repaired several times because I use it so much. I travel sometimes twice a day back and forth from Dun Laoghaire," said Mr Boyd Barrett.

I have already posed the question of whether this is a suitable commute for a bike, but the thread was deemed unsuitable for a Cycling forum, as opposed to Politics or Motors.

What about public transport though?

My own view is that TDs ought to be showing good example.

If a 12 km bike commute to the Dail from Glenageary is not feasible other than for hardened cyclists, perhaps, what about bus, Dart, Luas or whatever else might be available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Not a big RBB fan but have to say that this does not seem like much of a scandal/story. Every T.D will obviously need a car and if he is claiming genuine expenses at the correct rate then I don't see why we need a thread on boards to discuss it. If he wants to cycle, take the bus/LUAS etc. that would be great but I don't think that it is necessary to berate him for NOT doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Not a big RBB fan but have to say that this does not seem like much of a scandal/story. Every T.D will obviously need a car and if he is claiming genuine expenses at the correct rate then I don't see why we need a thread on boards to discuss it. If he wants to cycle, take the bus/LUAS etc. that would be great but I don't think that it is necessary to berate him for NOT doing so.

RBB happens to be in the spotlight just now, hence my posing the question.

However, it also applies to other TDs living in areas serviced by public transport, or who live within, say, 8 km of the Dail.

"Every TD will obviously need a car"? Really? Why?

http://richardboydbarrett.ie/tag/bus/

http://pbpdubcentral.wordpress.com/2009/01/

EDIT: Actually, Google Maps says the trip is 14km by car, 12 km "walk".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

He doesn't need to provide any proof though (not his fault) he can claim the full 12k and walk, cycle, get a taxsaver annual ticket (1k) and keep the rest.

However, stating that the full 12k was used for his car is probably offering a hostage to fortune, very expensive running costs for his people's limousine.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    "Every TD will obviously need a car"? Really? Why?

Just because RBB lives and works in Dublin doesn't mean he can do without a car. I'm sure he thinks of himself as a National politician and undoubtedly travels, in the course of his work, to the more remote areas of the country that are not serviced by regular public transport. Even within his constituency, I'm sure it would be unrealistic to expect him to work properly and efficiently without a car.

Just because RBB lives and works in Dublin doesn't mean he can do without a car. I'm sure he thinks of himself as a National politician and undoubtedly travels, in the course of his work, to the more remote areas of the country that are not serviced by regular public transport. Even within his constituency, I'm sure it would be unrealistic to expect him to work properly and efficiently without a car.

"Obviously", "undoubtedly", "sure", "unrealistic": a lot of assumptions there.

I would imagine that there are at least some occasions when TDs can avail of public transport.

http://joehiggins.ie/2012/07/press-statement-travel-costs-of-joe-higgins-td-outlined/

For Oireachtas members living within, say, 5-8 km of their workplace, there's always the cycling option.

http://www.labour.ie/blog/category/alexwhite/

Do they get paid for that too, I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

People before Profit? Yeh right.

I would imagine that there are at least some occasions when TDs can avail of public transport.

Yes and there are also occasions when they can't; therefore, they need a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yes and there are also occasions when they can't; therefore, they need a car.

Like when his ivory tower is miles away from his constituents gaffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

how much do people then think he should claim for the costs of a car that should be new or very close for reliability, plus tax, insurance, petrol, servicing, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The news desks are just hearing that Mick Wallace and RBB will now car pool in an effort to turn back time on recent accusations of expense fiddling.

Back_to_the_Future_car.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

€12k car repairs? ah shure I had a car like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

who does his repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I don't hold any candle for RBB nor his student politics but this story has been spun way out and his reaction to it hasn't helped.

I'll repeat for the people that just read the headline, if you actually read the article you will see this:

Those living within 25km of the Dail receive €12,000 per year tax-free and this rises to €37,000 per year if they live more than 360km away.

All Dublin TDs are entitled and I don't know any that don't claim the 12k.
    Where RBB made his mistake was to state that the full 12k was spent on his car, it doesn't need to have been and is dubious that it was.

This is a non-story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If a 12 km bike commute to the Dail from Glenageary is not feasible other than for hardened cyclists, perhaps, what about bus, Dart, Luas or whatever else might be available?

You're forgetting a TD isn't a standard commuter. He's probably got to carry or collect a lot of documents through out the course of his day. Cycling would not be very feasible if so.

Using a car in such circumstances would be more beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I have already posed the question of whether this is a suitable commute for a bike, but the thread was deemed unsuitable for a Cycling forum, as opposed to Politics or Motors.

What about public transport though?

My own view is that TDs ought to be showing good example.

Theres more to his working commute than just 'House in Glenageary -> Dail -> House in Glenegeary'.

Trips to constituency office, council offices, garda stations, hospitals, couple of meeting a week in locals schools & community centres. Hard to see how he could all this without a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 unimpressed

Do you get expenses like this to do your PAID job:confused:?? hell no
    Ordinary workers are expected to get theselves to work and home on their own dollar. Why do we give such huge UNVOUCHERED expenses to politicians?? most of them live on their expenses and use their salaries for investments:D.
    Yes the system allows him do this so he is not doing anything legaly wrong but it relly anoys the shi** out of me when they say it is not ethically wrong or morally wrong.... .........................IT IS.....:mad:
    I mean they go ahead and tax bennifit in kind such as commpany cars or lunch vouchers for us but convieniently leave their bennifits out of the mix:eek: COME ON. (look at the bar menue in the dail bar)
    This is not about the poor kid (with a trust fund) RBB its about the whole dirty little nest of them and their refusal to change the distorted system.
    As for the excuse that they are only in the job for 4 years WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THAT and why then do we see the same people or their family in power over and over again??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ordinary workers are expected to get theselves to work and home on their own dollar.

Well the key difference is that I get to choose where I want to work. If I don't like my Blanchardstown to Dublin commute I can apply for a similar job closer to where I work.
    Whereas in politics there is only one parliament so the TDs don't have my freedom of movement.
    So it's correct and proper that we don't penalise the TD based in the remotest parts of Donegal or Cork or Mayo. So on the grounds that its not possible to place a parliament everywhere , you come up with an expenses system to enable you to theoretically get the best possible people from all corners of the country. It's something all mature democracies do. The amount of expenses, the sliding scale of distance involved, whether or not they are receipted are all valid areas worth investigation however.

But 'ordinary workers get themselves to work and home on their own dollar' is irrelevant rabble rabble rabble Joe Duffyesque stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ordinary workers are expected to get theselves to work and home on their own dollar.

We have incentives such as Taxsaver to help.

Theres more to his working commute than just 'House in Glenageary -> Dail -> House in Glenegeary'.

Trips to constituency office, council offices, garda stations, hospitals, couple of meeting a week in locals schools & community centres. Hard to see how he could all this without a car.

He's a TD, not a Councillor.

Well the key difference is that I get to choose where I want to work. If I don't like my Blanchardstown to Dublin commute I can apply for a similar job closer to where I work.
    Whereas in politics there is only one parliament so the TDs don't have my freedom of movement.
    So it's correct and proper that we don't penalise the TD based in the remotest parts of Donegal or Cork or Mayo. So on the grounds that its not possible to place a parliament everywhere , you come up with an expenses system to enable you to theoretically get the best possible people from all corners of the country. It's something all mature democracies do. The amount of expenses, the sliding scale of distance involved, whether or not they are receipted are all valid areas worth investigation however.

What kind of "penalising" do you mean?

RBB chose where he wanted to work, applied for the job knowing where he'd be based, and was hired by the voters in his constituency.

Denmark is a mature democracy, a lot more mature than ours, I reckon.

Here are a couple of Danish Liberal MPs wheeling their bikes in to Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen, while on a formal visit to the Queen in September 2011 to discuss the selection of a Prime Minister.

folketingsvalg_937595_26.ashx

MPs from the Liberal party decided to arrive at the Queen’s residence on Velorbis bicycles.

De_Radikale_Venstre_ankommer_pa_Velorbis_cykler-605x403.jpg

The Velorbis bicycles are part of a large Velorbis bicycle fleet available for politicians to use for getting to and from meetings at various locations in central Copenhagen.

De_Radikale_Venstre_ankommer_pa_Velorbis_cykler2-605x402.jpg

All very camera friendly I'm sure, but the fact is that the number of workers, including some MPs, in Copenhagen who travel to work on foot, by public transport or by bike greatly exceeds the number who travel by car. Where's the immaturity in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

well, he has certainly set an example.......

maybe, he hasn't heard about the deficit...............yet.

• Advertisement

You're forgetting a TD isn't a standard commuter. He's probably got to carry or collect a lot of documents through out the course of his day. Cycling would not be very feasible if so.

Using a car in such circumstances would be more beneficial.

Here are some document-toting lawyers on bikes in Copenhagen.

And here's a Danish law firm's cargo bike outside the courts in Copenhagen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ireland will never be as mature as Denmark tbh.

Advertisement