Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Co Ordinates conversion. help please

Options
  • 14-02-2014 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been googling and mapping and calculating for the last hour with no result.

Can anyone help.

I have been given these co ordinates which I must travel to on saturday morning.

+57° 47' 13.94" -6° 9' 33.70"

I need them in Garmin format which looks like this ( not address)

N 53 deg 22.701’ W 006 deg 50.071’

Can anyone help convert them.

It should end up in co wicklow but for some reason any conversion I do ends up in scotland!! also a possibility that the co ordinates are not correct.

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Are you sure of those co-ordinates? I place them about 12km off the coast of Scotland.....

[edit]Latitude is definitely wrong - most northerly point in Ireland is around the 55° mark..... Co. Wicklow would be 52°-something or 53°-something....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

mike_ie wrote: »
    Are you sure of those co-ordinates? I place them about 12km off the coast of Scotland.....

yeah thats what I'm getting too.. I'm not 100% sure.. I'm just going on what they gave me.. If your getting the same I'll verify tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hi OP, Garmin Satnavs allow you to enter coords in all 3 popular formats, i.e. ddd.ddddd (decimal degrees), ddd mm.mmm (degrees and decimal minutes) or ddd mm ss.s (degrees, minutes and seconds) which is what you have.

On newer Garmins, when you're in the enter coordinates screen, tap on the little icon in the top left (three horizontal bars) and you can choose the format. Older Garmins have a separate Format button at the bottom of the screen.

So to save conversion, just set it to the same format as what you've been given.

On the other matter of the actual coords, if it's in Wicklow, it'll definitely be 52 or 53 degrees, not 57.

Hint: if you copy and paste the coords you gave into the search bar of Google Maps it'll tell you exactly where it is. 53 degrees puts you somewhere in Co. Louth, but 52 puts you in the outskirts of Arklow, is that where you want to be?

Advertisement