Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E-Mail Attacks

• 03-08-2003 4:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Hello there,
    I would like to inform you about important information regarding your email address. This email address will be expiring.
    Please read attachment for details.
    ---
    Best regards, Administrator

Above is a mail i just got on my o2 e-mail accound, from the address admin@o2.ie. The attatchment was blocked by my virus scanner.

E-Mail attacks are becoming more and more frequent by the looks of things, whats irritating though is that they are filtering there way through to places other than big providers like yahoo and hotmail.

What has taken me by surprise recently is the subtlety of these attacts, in retrospect the e-mail doesnt exactly look very officious but i did try and opent the attachment so it fooled me. I know you security guys are probably well up on all this but on a normal user like myslef, this is something new (on o2 anyway, the reason i use them is they rarely get spammed with junk / virii).

Hope this is in the right place :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pdogs

Hi. One of the problems with both spam and email viruses is that the "From" address can very easily be spoofed or forged. If you dont believe me just go into OE and temporarily change your own Account's "From" and "Reply To" values and then send youself an eMail. Remember to set them back when you have finished.

Unless you are expecting any attachments - never go near them until a sender, you know or trust, confirms their authenticity. Even then it is a wise precaution to save to the desktop, rather than just open it, and then easily scan it with an up-to-date antivirus by RClicking on it and choosing "Scan with.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pdogs

Read THIS from Microsoft and you will see that you haven't kept your security updates up-to-date - for which see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-014.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

sadly the chance of getting spammed these days seem to be proportional to the number of times your e-mail address appears on the interweb + the number of mailing lists you're subscribed to.

most isps have an e-mail address to send stuff like that to, you could try forwarding your message in this case (with headers) to abuse@o2.ie - i guess given it's spoofed from an address that looks like an admin address of theirs they might look into this one.

Advertisement