Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24 hour surveillance

• 03-06-2003 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

suggesting this in the hope of provoking interest and encouraging debate, not because it's something I've thought about and believe (so don't call me a twit or something if you think it's stupid):

24 hour video surveillance eveywhere except bedrooms and bathrooms would end crime more or less. To maintain civil liberties the vdeos could be accessed only when relevent to an actual reported crime, from which point they could be used to monitor and record the movements and actions of the accused. It would also help stop people from being wrongly incarcerated. Another idea would be to have neural networks monitor the videos for unreported crimes - while still maintaining a degree of privacy. this would be particularly cool I think because there would be the chance of the neural network eventually evolving genuine intelligence and trying to take over the world. Also all crimes should be made civil rather than personal. That way people couldn't be intimidated into not pressing charges.

the idea stated below is: 2 votes

good!
    0% 0 votes
    bad!
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

to nitpick a bit, you're putting forward two quite different ideas there. I don't quite follow your point about personal versus civil crime reducing intimidation.

As for your surveillance question, I don't know that increasing surveillance would lead to less crime, but I'd be interested in any arguments for or against that assertion. It would certainly increase crime detection, which would lead to more jailings, a less cooperative public (with government/authorities), a generallly less nice place to live, etc etc.

Actually, you claim that it would end crime. I don't believe that for a second. The way to end crime is to end social inequality (and sure, that's a huge oversimplification, but you started it :P ). Crime (in my view) tends to be a reaction by people or groups who feel marginalised or abandoned by society. Surveillance would probably lead to more people with negative feelings of this nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

If it's a personal offence then the victim can choose whether or not to press charges. If they fear reprisal as a result of pressing charges they probably won't. this is part of the reason why people from bad families get away with so much. if it's a civil offence then the state presses charges.

Two different points yes. Sorry my mind wandered a bit.

So long as the surveillance wasn't obtrusive and it was only actually viewed in order to monitor a crime or track a criminal it shouldn't have too strong negative effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Sounds a bit too much like a telescreen in 1984

Come to think of it. 1984 should be on the reading list for this forum :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

its heading this way isnt it, its starting with the reg plate scanning of cars in germany which is coming to britain,

the only thing stopping face scans is that the technology isnt cheap enough to do a big rollout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

The other thing that is stopping face scans is that the technology is so woefully poor at actually scanning faces! When the Guardian talked to the places that were actually using some of the systems the reporter discovered that the companies were hyping the systems but the systems actually couldn't do much of anything at all -- failed to spot the reporter even when he loitered in front of the CCTV cameras. They have a very high rate of false positives and false negatives according to the security experts I've talked to at security and crypto conferences.

Of course they'll improve but claims about face recognition's abilities, even in highly controlled circumstances such as security checkpoints for employees, are vastly exaggerated...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Come to think of it. 1984 should be on the reading list for this forum

Heh, somebody sent that to me off my Amazon wishlist last week. I wonder were they trying to tell me something... :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

24 hour video surveillance eveywhere except bedrooms and bathrooms would end crime more or less
    If we were to introduce such a uber totalitarian system why would you exempt the bedroom and bathroom? Criminals would simply commit more crime there. Besides, presumably the reason you excluded those two is to protect modesty, can you honestly look me in the eye and say that they are the only two places you and your girlfriend (presumably) require privacy.
    To maintain civil liberties the vdeos could be accessed only when relevent to an actual reported crime, from which point they could be used to monitor and record the movements and actions of the accused
    Who watchs the watchers - basically it comes down to trust. Humans (and the systems they create/control) are inherently untrustworthy. I wonder what Bertie would give for the tapes of the oppositions private meetings, democracy would be at an end.
    . It would also help stop people from being wrongly incarcerated.
    Sorry have to disagree with you again, no system, human or otherwise is flawless. Mistakes happen.

Though I strongly disagree with the system you suggest I do accept that that is the way we seem to be going. In London the police can trace the movements of any car throughout the city. Coupled with cell phone triangualtion data (which vodafone ireland keep for 10 years, don't know uk) stitching somebody up for a crime has never been easier.

tribble

Advertisement