Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had a real 'wow' moment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Climbed a mountain in the dark once so that i could watch the sun rise above the sea,,,.. Was a clear night so the sky went from black to blue to indigo to red to orange to yellow to gold.. Amazing watching the transformation as the sun came into sight :D Played good life by one republic as the sun tipped above the horizon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Watching the sun come out behind Everest and the snow blowing silently off the sumit, 8848 meters above sea level was absolutely mind blowing. Brought a tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Seeing Saturn and it's rings for the first time through my telescope... I first said "WOW"' followed shortly after by "holy fcuking sh!te".... It really was that amazing.

The other wow moment was nearly drowning while white water rafting in Yosemite... I was About 2 Seconds from taking a lung full of water and some lad reached under the water and pulled me into the boat... Took two deep breaths in said in my head... "Wow, that was too close"

Muppet man.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Climbing up the steps to the top of the Skelligs, on a warm summer's afternoon. Getting to the top and spending about 30 minutes sitting down and gazing all around.

A really special place.

Can't explain it. You have to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

My wow moment..
    snorkeling in Sharm El Sheik.
    wow.
    I can't swim so thought I would never experience anything like that.
    3 drop off points, 3 wows.
    the colours,the fish,the reef,the drop below, the big dark blue space out to the left and the coral ledge to the right, the guides were like mermen swimming underneath. Speechless when the big Ray just soared past and disappeared into the blue. wow.
    I could never do it justice by trying to describe it but wow!
    Every time I came back to the boat all I could say was wow. The guides were even laughing I sayin it so much :) and copying me too :-)
    all I can say about it was wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Entering the gas chamber in Auchwitz, and walking along the selection ramp at Birkenau. Incredibly humbling, when you consider the amount of lives taken, right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

14 years old and I was walking through a circus in Blanchardstown with a group of friends (where the Lidl is now on Blakestown road) and as I walked past a caravan the woman was sitting just inside feeding a baby Bengal tiger. I stopped to look and she asked me if I wanted to hold it. I got to feed a baby Bengal for about 5 minutes (friends were well jealous :D) and then got to see the Mother close up (from behind bars of course) have had a passion for tigers since.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Also, Sept. 11 2011. Seeing those planes hit the World Trade Centre, and watching those towers fall, and knowing somehow, the world would never be the same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Usually while I am walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

A solar eclipse a good few years back - putting on my dad's welding mask and watching the sun go black. I remember songbirds quietening down a lot as it happened and daisies in our lawn that began to fold up their petals as the sky grew darker.

I thought "Wow" imagine being an ignoramus from the Middle Ages and thinking the world was going to end because of this..!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Getting a train called the TransAlpine in New Zealand from Christchurch across the island and across the mountain range in the middle. I wasn't sure what to expect but the train stopped in the middle of nowhere and everyone got out to see the view of the snow-topped mountains in the distance. Wow. I fell in love with NZ there and then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

My first time seeing such a massive collection of people, my first international football game between Ireland and Portugal in 95, walking up the steps in the west stand peering through the entrance onto the stand itself, I was 10 at the time and football crazy, for me it was a big wow moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Watching the sunrise in Ankgor Wat.

First time seeing sharks while scuba diving.

Walking through the reception of the Europe hotel in Killarney and seeing Killarney lake and mountains on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Seeing the Northern Lights in Wicklow back in the 90s - no-one believes me but it's true.

Being knocked down by a car as a kid - jumping up and realising I was still alive if badly injured (blood is a good indicator).

Climbing any of the mountains in Ireland - carrantuohill; the Sugar Loafs in Wickow; seeing Djouce waterfall frozen solid.

Getting trapped in an upturned sea kayak (panic had me wedge myself in); accepting that this was it and suddenly popping out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Taltos wrote: »
    Seeing the Northern Lights in Wicklow back in the 90s - no-one believes me but it's true.

Being knocked down by a car as a kid - jumping up and realising I was still alive if badly injured (blood is a good indicator).

Climbing any of the mountains in Ireland - carrantuohill; the Sugar Loafs in Wickow; seeing Djouce waterfall frozen solid.

Getting trapped in an upturned sea kayak (panic had me wedge myself in); accepting that this was it and suddenly popping out.

You'd think you'd learn after being knocked down by the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Taltos wrote: »

I make that 2 down ....7 to go :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Great forum OP!

Looking at a ball of sardines swimming in a huge, huge tank in Monterray aquarium.
    My wife and I were transfixed - Wow! World-stoppingly beautiful.

Walking home round 7am on New Years Day through a path which was in a shallow gorge with blocks of flats on both sides. It was in Poland, and everything was grey or white - the sky, the snow the concrete of the blocks and bridge. There was not a soul about, it was below zero and completely silent. The sun was a disc of pure crimson. Stunningly beautiful - Wow!

Chanting with over 100 other Buddhists directly in front of a mandala in a golden frame.
    Everything turned golden, Mystic - Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I remember as young fella when I got glasses for the first time about 16 (they said glasses would not improve my eyesight before that - long story).

I was walking out of the specky shop and every thing was jumping out at me crystal clear.

I was staring at everything and anyone, with what must have been an insanely happy head on me.

I remember a girl thought I was checking her out and she smiling to herself.

And on the train home I was extremely fascinated by a fly moving its wings on the edge of the window on the Dart home. I was never so interested in reading the advertisements on the Dart either.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Looking at a slice of moon rock through a microscope. I didn't expect that it would look anything different than any rock you'd pick up from Earth. Wrong! There is no weathering on the moon and very little water, so the crystals look sharp and very clear, very different than any rocks I had examined microscopically previously. It was an alien rock I was looking at. Oh, BTW, this rock was a sample brought back on the Apollo missions. :)

o-MOON-ROCK-570.jpg?6

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maninasia, is that colour enhanced, or does it really look like that? Its amazing! Why would there be small bits of rock around, given the lack of weathering, atmosphere etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

It looks like that because you are viewing it under polarised light. The polarised light allows you to more easily identify and pick out the minerals in a given piece of rock. This is exactly how it looked to me under the microsope, no photo enhancement. The thing that stood out for was how CLEAR and SHARPLY FORMED the crystals were.

This guy says the same thing. Basically the crystals pop out at you.
    http://minerva.union.edu/hollochk/c_petrology/moon_rocks/12005.htm
    12005-39F.jpg

This explains it better than I ever could.
    http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/smith/Astro150/Labs/MoonRocks/

As far as I remember the moon was pretty much formed from the same material as the Earth was formed from, but it doesn't have as much water, and no plate tectonics, and no atmosphere so weathering is absent, no sedimentary rock due to lack of running or stagnant water. Moon rocks tend to be billions of years old, some of the stuff on the surface is reformed from meteor impacts as mentioned in the article.

Advertisement