Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Android devices by installed base, anyone?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 8:28pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to establish a list of android devices by popularity or by sales in recent years. (basically I need to test the game I'm making on a list of popular devices that will likely try to play it...)

Does anyone know of such a list or anything along those lines? There are soooo many android devices its mind boggling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm trying to establish a list of android devices by popularity or by sales in recent years. (basically I need to test the game I'm making on a list of popular devices that will likely try to play it...)

Does anyone know of such a list or anything along those lines? There are soooo many android devices its mind boggling.

No sorry but I'd go with
    -Samsung Galaxy S + Note Series
    -HTC One + Sensation Series
    -Motorola Razr Series
    -Google Nexus Series (Nexus S - Nexus 4)

If it's not graphics intensive then go with cheap samsung android's like Galaxy Y or Mini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Appbrain do a list, but I think that's about it. Of course, a third-party app store wouldn't give you the most representative list either, but it's a start.

http://www.appbrain.com/stats/top-android-phones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

this might be of some use - the android developer dashboard
    http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

These are just the stats for my Irish app (model, number devices, percentage) which I released at Xmas:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (m0)
    17.38 %

Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100)
    15.73 %

Samsung Galaxy Mini (GT-S5570)
    5.00 %

ST21i
    4.09 %

Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830i)
    3.05 %

Samsung Galaxy Y (GT-S5360)
    2.87 %

ST26i
    2.74 %

GT-S7500
    2.44 %

golden
    2.38 %
    Others
    44.33 %

--- version (version, count installs, percentage) ---

Android 2.3.3 - 2.3.7
    38.05 %

Android 4.0.3 - 4.0.4
    32.20 %

Android 4.1
    23.78 %

Android 2.2
    3.05 %

Android 4.2
    2.62 %

Android 3.2
    0.24 %

Android 2.3
    0.06 %

Note that if you go into your apps statistics, it will show you the top 10 for the category your app is in too for android version. I don't think you have to publish it to get this info, just create the placeholder for the app :)

Reason I post them is that most people look for apps when they first get their phones and then the number of times they check for new apps/games goes down over time. So people who have just got phones are more likely to download your app IMO and it seems to be the case with my app. So focus on newer phone models for testing I would say and ones that are noted for being good for people who use custom roms as they are always on the look out for new apps as they are more into keeping up with the latest apps/games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

DeVore wrote: »

There are a crazy number of devices out there. According to my play store stats my app is installed on 835 different device types. You aren't going to be able to cover it all even before considering devices available elsewhere that may be hard to get here. I would say

S3
    Desire S
    Nexus 7
    S2
    Nexus 4

Depending on your situation just ignore this and use what you have to hand and available from friends.

Advertisement