Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Propane vs Butane

Options
  • 29-05-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

My Camper has butane but I was told that I should have propane instead.

In the Gas hatch has a sticker that says 50 mbar.

It's a 2k german import if that make any difference.

Can anyone tell which I should have?

I don't mind changing to propane if it's better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

I have Butane in mine but its only a 4.5kg cylinder for a Mazda Bongo conversion.

I started a thread about buying gas in Dublin with similar questions, so waiting to hear what people say in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Propane has a higher calorific value so it burns hotter, it also has a much lower boiling point which keeps it from freezing in cold weather.
    Butane would be handier as most filling station and other retailers stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

aujopimur wrote: »
    Propane has a higher calorific value so it burns hotter, it also has a much lower boiling point which keeps it from freezing in cold weather.
    Butane would be handier as most filling station and other retailers stock it.

So which do I go with?

I suggest butane, as it's much more readily available at retailers, unless you intend using it in sub zero conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I remember looking into this when I got the van first and I think propane was considered the slightly better option fir the reasons already mentioned plus IIRC the truma boilers work better on propane.

Anyway I went with propane for some reason or another and it works fine.
    The 50mbar is your regulator.. Which would suggest you'd appliances are 50 mbar... Most are 30 from my limited experience, but you needn't worry.

Marty

• Advertisement

Hey guys

My van has Butane, is it is easy to switch to propane? Do you need an RGI certified person to switch it over?

Can you have a look at my thread on buying gas in Dublin please... thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Is there any price difference between a cylinder of propane vs butane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

they are practically the same price , but the Propane lasts longer and burns better , so in fact it works out cheaper. All of the better known MHs built in europe should run on Propane or Butane , with no adaptions needed as long as the correct pressure regulator is used .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    they are practically the same price , but the Propane lasts longer and burns better , so in fact it works out cheaper. All of the better known MHs built in europe should run on Propane or Butane , with no adaptions needed as long as the correct pressure regulator is used .

Thanks. I think I have gone through about three bottles in the last 4 years!! I am thinking of just carrying around one bottle in future. I can use the space for a bit of storage.

Also , in my experience , Irish butane is of a sh1te quality . I've changed countless regulators that were choked up with oil from Butane.

• Advertisement

So would you recommend I switch from butane to propane then? Do I need a certified RGI gas installer to do the switchover? If so, is there any you know of in Dublin I can go to on Tuesday?

Thanks

Also , in my experience , Irish butane is of a sh1te quality . I've changed countless regulators that were choked up with oil from Butane.

It's a simple case of exchanging your empty bottle of butane for a full propane.
    Fittings are the same.., they are both an LPG so nothing else needs doing.
    Marty.

Thanks Marty

On the Mazda Bongo forum I got this reply:

"Is that a Calor cylinder? Obviously you can only change like for like (ie if it is Calor then you'll have to exchange it for another Calor) but if it is, are you aware that Calor is only available in the UK so make sure you have enough to see you through your big trip.

And in answer to the "does it have to be butane" question. No, it just needs to fit in your gas locker but changing from butane to propane will probably entail the purchase of a new gas cylinder (ie more expense as it's highly unlikely you'll be doing straight swap without money changing hands). To to my mind the only good reason for making the change is that propane can be used at much lower temperatures so it would be worth changing if you plan on any low temperature Winter adventures."

It is indeed a Calor cylinder. Is he right that I can only exchange it for another Calor one??? Whats deal with this?

I had no problem exchanging mine ( butane for propane) but they were the regular 11kg ones...
    Don't know if there would be an issue with the smaller ones.

If it's hassle/costly there probably isn't good enough reason to change over.
    Marty.

it's generally easier to get propane in cylinders with a LH thrad screw on fitting , but the standard "jumbo adapter" , Kosangas type ones are out there too . IIRC I got Ergas the last time.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    It's a simple case of exchanging your empty bottle of butane for a full propane.
    Fittings are the same.., they are both an LPG so nothing else needs doing.
    Marty.
    The snap on regulators for propane and butane although interchangable,
    are different.
    Propane has rotating on/off, where as butane has a flip type on/off.
    I suggested regular type butane as it's the easiest to source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

aujopimur wrote: »
    The snap on regulators for propane and butane although interchangable,
    are different.
    Propane has rotating on/off, where as butane has a flip type on/off.
    I suggested regular type butane as it's the easiest to source.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Jumbo ('snap on') type with the red rotating on/off knob is not a regulator, it can only be used in connection with a wall mounted regulator elsewhere.

But, as you say the one with the flip type on/off is a regulator.

BTW, Calor do both propane and butane in the same type bottles, yellow = butane, red = propane, and the red propane are available with either the top 'snap on' or side 'screw on' connections.

My experience is that a dealer will cross exchange for any type of the three versions, yellow - red top connection - red side connection.

A word of caution , I've seen lots of Red Cylinders with Butane , so don't assume Red is ALWAYS Propane . It'll be written in fairly big letters on the side . One thing for sure though , Yellow is always Butane .

• Registered Users Posts: 27 boardsiebob

I've got a yellow 5kg propane one very common in the plumbers trade.
    The colour doesn't make any difference, maybe the propane bottles always come with threaded screw-on fitting to attach regulator/hose and come with gas turn on/off knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

is l.p.g propane or butane ? anyone please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

never had this problem myself. is it hard to clean the regulators?

coolvale wrote: »
    is l.p.g propane or butane ? anyone please.
    LPG= liquid petroleum gas= propane or butane.

A word of caution , I've seen lots of Red Cylinders with Butane , so don't assume Red is ALWAYS Propane . It'll be written in fairly big letters on the side . One thing for sure though , Yellow is always Butane .
    Yellow bottles with red handles is propane.

LPG is a combination of Propane and Butane.

Advertisement