Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire Emblem: Kakusei (Fire Emblem: Awakening)

Options
  • 17-04-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

Saw this last week when I was in Tokyo and got very excited!

More details here:
    http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem:_Kakusei

The combo battles where an ally can aid you if set up correctly will add a whole new dimension to the game. A lot of new classes too which is nice.

Shame 3DS games are region locked as its out this week in Japan.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hope it gets a US or EU release. Fire Emblem hasn't really taken off here and seems to get released at the worst times (when the GC and GBA was dying and when piracy had ruined the DS market). We've already missed out on some DS and GBA fire emblem games :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Well here's hoping. According to an early trailer the game is due in Europe this year. Usually the translation of FE games takes the best part of a year so that seems over-optimistic.

We missed out on the last FE game on the DS after the lacklustre remake that was "Shadow Dragon".

Sacred Stones is now available for download on 3DS which is well worth playing and would be a good introduction to the series for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

This will probably be the game that finally tips the scales in the 3DS buy or not to buy argument for me.

Path of Raidence was one of the best games on the Gamecube, such a shame it went unnoticed by so many people. Radiant Dawn on the Wii was an excellent follow-up in terms of gameplay, but I felt the story let it down a lot, this could have something to do with lack of proper support conversations between units (hope this is something that's remedied in the new title.) The two GBA titles were also excellent, though holding my hand up, I never did manage to finish 'Fire Emblem', the one with Eliwood and Lyn, I could never manage to beat some of the later chapters, even on Easy to my great shame.

I never managed to get the DS remake of the original FE, what was it called Shadow Dragon? Couldn't find it in any shops at the time and it's now quite pricey on amazon and the likes. Is it any use?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got the DS game for peanuts from ebay. Have a look for US copies.

I never managed to get the DS remake of the original FE, what was it called Shadow Dragon? Couldn't find it in any shops at the time and it's now quite pricey on amazon and the likes. Is it any use?
    I remember taking umbrage with the difficulty, cant remember if it was too easy or hard, probably the former. Probably my least favourite FE but still worth playing if you're a fan.

• Advertisement

This is the video I saw in Tokyo (I knew the one in the OP wasn't right), more details on the combo attacks and mariages:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This is getting brilliant reviews. not out here til April though. Tried to pre-order on amazon and found this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pokemon-Fire-Emblem-Awakening-Nintendo/dp/B00B7JT57W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359672320&sr=8-2 :confused:

I can't find anywhere to pre-order only the vague date of April 2013 announced in December.

They have a special model of the 3DS for the games launch in the US next week:
    fire-emblem-awakening-3ds-bundle_1024.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

If I had the money I'd definitely be importing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I haven't played fire emblem before but reviewers seem to have beem fairly impressed and I was listening to the soundtrack on youtube ant it was pretty fantastic. Anyome know if this one is a good place to dive into the series.

megaten wrote: »
    I haven't played fire emblem before but reviewers seem to have beem fairly impressed and I was listening to the soundtrack on youtube ant it was pretty fantastic. Anyome know if this one is a good place to dive into the series.

Fire Emblem is a superb series, if you have played Advance Wars it's basically advance wars turned into a RPG. Sure it's made by the same people.

This is probably the best place to jump into the series since it's notoriously tough and has a perma death mechanic, if a unit dies they are gone for the rest of the campaign and the game auto saves every turn. The new game has the option of turning perma death off.

• Advertisement

Since all of the FE games are quite expensive to get hold of you might be best off starting with the latest one!

The Sacred Stones (GBA) is allegedly available for download and would be a great introduction to the series. There have been a fair few additions like tiered classes, customising weapons etc. in the subsequent games but SS has the basic formula down and is a tight little gem of a game.

I wouldn't compare the series to Advance Wars though but then again I'm a SRPG pedant :P

penev10 wrote: »
    I wouldn't compare the series to Advance Wars though but then again I'm a SRPG pedant :P

Well it uses the same engine and is made by the same team. It also has the same rock paper scissors mechanics. It always seemed very similar to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Is the AI's moves always predetermined like advance wars? That would kind of kill my interest in the gameplay.

megaten wrote: »
    Is the AI's moves always predetermined like advance wars? That would kind of kill my interest in the gameplay.
    No, and thats why I wouldn't compare it to AW. AW is more akin to a puzzle game (especially the later more challenging levels) as you try to solve the fixed problem set in front of you rather than react and to the emergent tactics as they unfold. The enemy still makes the odd stupid move but it's overall strategy is usually quite challenging.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I can't find anywhere to pre-order only the vague date of April 2013 announced in December.

They have a special model of the 3DS for the games launch in the US next week:
    fire-emblem-awakening-3ds-bundle_1024.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

If I had the money I'd definitely be importing it.

Is there any website I can buy that on?

videogamesplus.ca should have it.

Is there any website I can buy that on?

You realise 3ds games bought here won't work on it?

ShaneU wrote: »

US games are generally cheaper, it's win-win. Also you don't run the risk on missing out on Atlus or XSeed games (although I guess those will get digital releases here if a euro publisher doesn't pick them up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ya I'm aware it's region locked,I want that DS Package though if its going anywhere,doesn't seem to be on videogame.ca though or at least I can't find it anyway.

doesn't seem to be on videogame.ca though or at least I can't find it anyway.

Apparently it's sold out and even people with pre-orders are having to wait for a re-stock.

• Advertisement

Apparently it's sold out and even people with pre-orders are having to wait for a re-stock.

Aw nuts :(

Seems its sold out everywhere,gamestop.com have it alright but won't ship here,bestbuy sold out and future something sold out too,Damn.

I'm noticing the difficulty of the series is really being exaggerated on the gaming sites. Permadeath is now the equivalent of a Dark Souls SL1 run!:rolleyes:

I've played all the FE games released in the west and the only badly judged challenge was the early game of Radiant Dawn (which later turned into a cake walk!)

Don't let the hype put you off this game or any of the series. They all have a gradual learning curve and are rarely frustrating. (Hard mode is always punishing and exacting for those who do like that sort of thing though:D)

Typical exaggeration from awful game journalists as usual.

Then on the other end of the spectrum you have Kat Bailey writing her editorial for joystick saying how the first GBA game and the new 3DS game is the perfect introduction for beginners to SRPGs.

Release date is April 19th and Europe are getting an xl bundle with the game

1wsBQ.jpg

Release date is April 19th and Europe are getting an xl bundle with the game

1wsBQ.jpg

Yes! what retailers will be carrying it do you know?

I'd definitely pre-order it just in case.

It's just the standard blue/black ds xl with the white design on it, bit half-assed really.

nevermind it's on amazon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

As per what some reviewers have said...I wonder if it's really worth getting a 3DS just to play this game?

Also, any thoughts - The XL bundle with pre-loaded game vs buying the original 3DS with a physical copy of the game?

Advertisement