Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish 23 Man Squad - The Run In

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

leposean wrote: »
    For anyone looking to get names printed on the jerseys the squad numbers will be

1:Given, 2.St. Ledger, 3.Ward, 4.O'Shea, 5.Dunne, 6.Whelan, 7.McGeady, 8.Andrews, 9.Doyle, 10.Keane, 11.Duff, 12.Kelly 13.Hunt 14.Gibson 15.O'Dea 16.Westwood, 17.Long 18.Fahey 19.Walters 20.Cox 21.Foley 22.Forde 23.McLean
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    But be sure to make sure the shop spells it right ;)
    Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Dempsey wrote: »
    Our system isnt responsible for the flaws in McGeady's game

You could be right but I think it is. Playing him on the wrong wing for a start. Making him run after 60 yard diagonal punts from the back. Isolating him usually 2v1 for any opposing team that has any sense. Talks of whipping crosses into the box? Kinda pointless when there's no one for him to aim at.

i watched enough games of him playing for celtic and spartak to know that traps gameplan isnt the problem nor is the wing he plays on, nor is it the marking system used on him. he's a slow footballing brain. any advantage he has is negated by the time he takes to figure out what he wants to do with the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Portugal away, in the same group.
    Or maybe Cameroon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kryogen wrote: »
    Wes really should be going, that is a glaring fault right there.

Are you a mate of his? If so, fair enough. If not, where do you play him?

Sure, in terms of pure ability Hoolahan is good enough to get in the squad. But he can't occupy any of the six non defensive positions in this system any better than the players selected. And if your answer to that is 'but wouldn't it be useful to have 4 - 5 - 1 as an option' well that really isn't realistic. We have played zero 4 - 5 - 1 stretching back to 2008. It's the same formation and roles for better or for worse. The squad chosen is the best selection to fit that system.

====================

McGeady is a frustrating player so I can understand the hate on here. Nonetheless, he's usually a touch away from doing something magnificent when he gets the ball - and that makes him a prized asset in this group of players. His style means that it will break down with him a lot - but when he gets it right, we create chances.

He also puts in a shift off the ball every time, so it's not like he is a complete luxury item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Not nice to see, he would probably be better not giving them a reply though.

James McClean subjected to abuse after Republic of Ireland call-up.

Former Northern Ireland U-21 footballer James McClean has been subjected to sectarian abuse after being named in the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 squad.
    Some of the messages directed at the Londonderry man on Twitter also contained threats.
    The 23-year-old winger, who plays for Sunderland in the Premier League, discovered on Monday that he had been included in Giovanni Trapattoni's team for next month's finals.
    He said he was thrilled at the call-up.
    McClean tweeted: "Absolutely honoured and couldn't be happier to have been called up to represent my country at the Euros. No better feeling."
    He later told the Mail: "To be called up to represent Ireland has always been a personal dream of mine and to be associated with players who I have watched myself is very special.
    "I can't wait to join up with the squad and start to focus on the Championships."
    His news was met with messages of congratulations, but also some posts containing sectarian abuse and threats to kill.
    Some of the messages have since been deleted.
    One fan tweeted in response: "The sectarian and discriminatory abuse James McClean is taking off confused NI fans is simply a disgrace."
    Another said: "Just heard that James McClean is in the Irish euro 2012 squad. Good lad, he deserves it."
    McClean, who carries an Irish passport, made a general response following the abuse on Twitter.
    He tweeted: "Love the dogs' abuse am gettin off shock N.I fans, just worry about watchin ur own country at the euros... oh wait #mybad #awkward haha."
    East Londonderry MP Gregory Campbell said it was "reprehensible that anybody's life is threatened by whatever decisions they take".
    "Hopefully we can get beyond that and get on with the tournament and people can support whatever team they feel comfortable supporting," he said.
    SDLP assembly member Conall McDevitt also condemned the threats saying proper football fans would not condone them.
    "Football is one of the most amazing sports in the world. We need to unite behind players who are going to lay their bodies on the line... and not think about the politics."
    A spokesperson for the PSNI said: "We don't discuss individual cases, however, if we receive information that a person's life may be at risk we will inform them accordingly. We never ignore anything which may put an individual at risk."
    McClean has previously been the target of abuse from unhappy Northern Ireland fans since he declared for the Republic, having been brought through the ranks by the Irish Football Association.
    He made a massive impression in his first season at Sunderland and made his senior debut for the Republic in February.
    The former Derry City player received a huge ovation when he came on as a substitute against the Czech Republic.
    The Republic will continue their preparations for this summer's tournament in Poland and Ukraine by playing friendlies against Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday 26 May and Denmark two days later.

Source:- http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17987182

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No surprises from the squad that Trap picked,pity James McCarthy isnt going,like his club he is is good form but I doubt Trap would have started him anyway,just seen on that Carlos Puyol could miss the euros now,

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08052012/2/spain-puyol-six-weeks-knee-injury.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Squad: Shay Given (Aston Villa), Keiren Westwood (Sunderland), David Forde (Millwall); John O’Shea (Sunderland), Stephen Kelly (Fulham), Stephen Ward (Wolves), Richard Dunne (Aston Villa), Sean St Ledger (Leicester), Darren O’Dea (Leeds), Kevin Foley (Wolves); Glenn Whelan (Stoke), Keith Andrews (West Brom), Keith Fahey (Birmingham), Darron Gibson (Everton), Damien Duff (Fulham), Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow), Stephen Hunt (Wolves), James McClean (Sunderland); Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Kevin Doyle (Wolves), Shane Long, Simon Cox (both West Brom), Jon Walters (Stoke).

Stand-by: Darren Randolph (Motherwell), Paul McShane (Crystal Palace), Paul Green (Unattached), Seamus Coleman (Everton), Andy Keogh (Millwall).

Hope they do the business now and do us all proud ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

"Love the dogs' abuse am gettin off shock N.I fans, just worry about watchin ur own country at the euros... oh wait #mybad #awkward haha."

he should certainly stay off twitter!!! Duh mclean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

leposean wrote: »
    For anyone looking to get names printed on the jerseys the squad numbers will be

1:Given, 2.St. Ledger, 3.Ward, 4.O'Shea, 5.Dunne, 6.Whelan, 7.McGeady, 8.Andrews, 9.Doyle, 10.Keane, 11.Duff, 12.Kelly 13.Hunt 14.Gibson 15.O'Dea 16.Westwood, 17.Long 18.Fahey 19.Walters 20.Cox 21.Foley 22.Forde 23.McLean

McClean 23 has a nice ring to it, ala Michael Jordan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

The Republic will continue their preparations for this summer's tournament in Poland and Ukraine by playing friendlies against Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday 26 May and Denmark two days later.

Source:- http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17987182

They are playing Bosnia and Hungary not Denmark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

El Spearo wrote: »
    he should certainly stay off twitter!!! Duh mclean.

In fairness some of the abuse he was getting would drive you to respond...
    One Twitter user, with the account ‘RobbieLittle@PotKettleBlack3’, posted: “F*** up your dirty fenian b****** il make sure you get shot when you set foot back into gods country #FTP.”

Wonder what will happen to this twitter user, wasn't there a guy brought up on racism charges lately over a twitter outburst, and this is far worse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Personally I would put Ian Harte on the standby list rather than Mc Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭briany

mikeym wrote: »

I'd have him there as well but I don't think he's ever even been included in a Trap squad and Gio's a manager of habit and tends to stick with the same players whenever possible so, sadly, it's not to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Some people clearly have no idea how Trap picks his teams. He rewards those who have been loyal by accepting calls when it doesnt suit them. The real test was the Carling Nations Cup, players like Marc Wilson and Anthony Stokes were not arsed playing in it, and thus have not been invited to play again. Players like Paul McShane, Paul Green and Simon Cox relished the opportunity and played well (except Green), Cox has now become the teacher's pet and has never put a foot wrong. That's why these guys are being picked for the standby squad, or in Cox's case, we are making a 5th striker spot available just to bring him. Wes Hoolahan, Anthony Pilkington and Ian Harte were never in any of the qualifying squads, it was absolutely 100% certain they would have no involvement, so how are people upset that they have been omitted? It would have been a farce if Hoolahan got a place in the squad instead of Fahey for example, someone who has shown up, sat on the bench, and clutched his chances when they have come. The stanby list in my opinion is Trap hoping nobody from the 23 will get injured, and acknowledging the effort by the likes of McShane, Green and Keogh to always be there when he calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    That's what the back and forth was about?

Never mind him Mikey. That was just a small part of the discussion that could have been left to one side, but he refused to agree to disagree on it. The discussion was actually about whether or not it's likely that Keane would have helped the team's performances in the WC if Saipan had never happened.
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Some people clearly have no idea how Trap picks his teams. He rewards those who have been loyal by accepting calls when it doesnt suit them. The real test was the Carling Nations Cup, players like Marc Wilson and Anthony Stokes were not arsed playing in it, and thus have not been invited to play again. Players like Paul McShane, Paul Green and Simon Cox relished the opportunity and played well (except Green), Cox has now become the teacher's pet and has never put a foot wrong. That's why these guys are being picked for the standby squad, or in Cox's case, we are making a 5th striker spot available just to bring him. Wes Hoolahan, Anthony Pilkington and Ian Harte were never in any of the qualifying squads, it was absolutely 100% certain they would have no involvement, so how are people upset that they have been omitted? It would have been a farce if Hoolahan got a place in the squad instead of Fahey for example, someone who has shown up, sat on the bench, and clutched his chances when they have come. The stanby list in my opinion is Trap hoping nobody from the 23 will get injured, and acknowledging the effort by the likes of McShane, Green and Keogh to always be there when he calls.

I can't be arsed to find the links again now, but Trap has specifically said that Wilson is being excluded for some other, undisclosed, incident and not the missing of Nations Cup games.

He also drew a line under the whole missing of friendlies thing for all players and gave them clear instructions for communication whenever they want to pull out of friendlies going forward. That's what I understand anyway from reading around through different Trap and player quotes and news stories from the last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

mikeym wrote: »
    Ian Harte !! i'd rather Paul McGrath (40 odd ) than Paul McShane

Noel Hunt on Sunday been quizzed on the " absent senior player".
    Noel hunt @boyhunt
    @thisistheone28: @boyhunt Do you know which player is not going make Euros Noel??” yeah me haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Noel Hunt on Sunday been quizzed on the " absent senior player".

That was yesterday:D

That was yesterday:D
    Sorry, yes it was yesterday, bank holiday has me all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Sorry for being off topic here but I found this youtube comment posted on Facebook

"For all you ****ing retards saying Ivory Coast and Ireland aren't the same place, the Ivory Coast is on the west coast of Ireland you ****ing morons! It gained independence in 1996 and that's why I'm saying put Drogba in the Irish squad because technically its still the same country"

I don't know where this human being got his education from but I wouldn't mind Drogba playing for us though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Sorry for being off topic here but I found this youtube comment posted on Facebook

"For all you ****ing retards saying Ivory Coast and Ireland aren't the same place, the Ivory Coast is on the west coast of Ireland you ****ing morons! It gained independence in 1996 and that's why I'm saying put Drogba in the Irish squad because technically its still the same country"

I don't know where this human being got his education from but I wouldn't mind Drogba playing for us though :pac:

It's from a FIFA 12 Ultimate Team squad builder video. A guy made a squad of Irish players ahead of Euro 12, this kid commented "What about Drogba? Kalou? Gervinho?" He then got laughed at before replying with that gem. I think he is just a troll though, nobody can be that stupid and know how to use a computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Goals.

Robbie Keane: 53

22 other players in the squad combined: 53
    And he is still ****e.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

closeline wrote: »
    And he is still ****e.

Ah he's not really though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I was actually crunching the numbers to show how Keane had become even more vital as a goalscorer under Trap (his goal-average under Trap is higher than with any previous Ireland manager) and that his share of the goals during that time was probably even higher than 50/50.

Turns out tho I was wrong. If you count only Trap era goals by the players in the squad squad then the totals are

Keane : 21 goals
    The rest : 35 goals

So the other players are also chipping in too despite first impressions. Keane is still more than carrying his weight in the goals dept either way.
    Robbie Keane 	21
    Shane Long 	6
    Kevin Doyle 	5
    Keith Andrews 	3
    Keith Fahey 	3
    Simon Cox 	3
    Richard Dunne 	3
    Sean St Ledger 	2
    Stephen Ward 	2
    Glenn Whelan 	2
    Aiden McGeady 	2
    Stephen Hunt 	1
    Darron Gibson 	1
    Jonathan Walters 	1
    Damien Duff 	1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I think its trully shocking how few goals Duff has scored for Ireland, he should be well past the 20 mark by now!

McGeady as well, should have scored more by now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

bullvine wrote: »

McGeady as well, should have scored more by now!

He can't kick the ball properly. That's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

And he is still ****e.

Ah he is. Ya Duff's and McGeady's goalscoring rates are shocking. I would definitely have McClean in the starting team.

One thing that annoys me about this team is the kit numbers and most of ye will think I am off my game. Why does our centre half (St.Ledger) wear 2, our right back wear 4. Also Duff and McGeady wear 11 and 7 when they play on the right and left wing respectively. They should be wearing the opposite numbers.

Can anyone tell me why this is done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ah he is. Ya Duff's and McGeady's goalscoring rates are shocking. I would definitely have McClean in the starting team.

One thing that annoys me about this team is the kit numbers and most of ye will think I am off my game. Why does our centre half (St.Ledger) wear 2, our right back wear 4. Also Duff and McGeady wear 11 and 7 when they play on the right and left wing respectively. They should be wearing the opposite numbers.

Can anyone tell me why this is done?

To confuse the opposition of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Do people realise what kind of football we play?

We don't play free scoring football. We play a rather defensive game, playing for a clean sheet and imo, a goal is a +

sugarman wrote: »
    Because they kept their numbers of their natual position they play/started to play for Ireland under.

Duff/McGeady used to play opposite wings.

JOS used to be CB with Dunne, but kept the number 4 while SLedge took the vacant no.2.

Thats what I reckon.

Here's team photos from Trap's first few games

v Serbia

v Colombia (interestingly O'Shea has #2 and Whelan has #4)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Do people realise what kind of football we play?

We don't play free scoring football. We play a rather defensive game, playing for a clean sheet and imo, a goal is a +

Nope, nobody knew what kind of football we played, thanks for the enlightenment friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

kryogen wrote: »
    Nope, nobody knew what kind of football we played, thanks for the enlightenment friend.

Good man

That was aimed for the end of the last page re. McGeady's & Duff's scoring rates...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Good man

That was aimed for the end of the last page re. McGeady's & Duff's scoring rates...

Duff's scoring rate for Ireland is terrible, 8 goals is a shocking return for a player of his quality, for the qualifiers for 2002 worldcup he played games up top behind Robbie Keane and I think I remember him scoring once. I think dunne has scored more goals for his country and thats saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

How many assists does duff have ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nevermind McGeady, the whole setup for the Irish team is a complete joke.

I mean, has Keiren "good Catholic boy" Westwood even kicked a ball this season for Sunderland? Foley and Ward got relegated and played garbage any time I have watched them. St Ledger isn't even getting a game in the Championship. McGeady is dropped from a very poor Russian team. Whelan is just crap. Andrews just isn't good enough. Doyle has been shown up badly. Keane is essentially in retirement mode.

I would pick this team, right balance of experience and youth.

Given
    Coleman -- Dunne -- Duffy -- Clark
    McClean -- Fahey -- McCarthy -- Duff
    Hoolahan
    Long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'd start Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I mean, has Keiren "good Catholic boy" Westwood even kicked a ball this season for Sunderland? Foley and Ward got relegated and played garbage any time I have watched them. St Ledger isn't even getting a game in the Championship. McGeady is dropped from a very poor Russian team. Whelan is just crap. Andrews just isn't good enough. Doyle has been shown up badly. Keane is essentially in retirement mode.

Given
    Hoolahan
    Long
    You need to face reality we play defensive football and your gonna have to embrace it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

Given
    Hoolahan
    Long

Traps team would beat this, your opinion on the players is garbage

I mean, has Keiren "good Catholic boy" Westwood even kicked a ball this season for Sunderland?

Several I'd imagine? He's played 9 games in the prem this season (which puts him 3rd in terms of sub goalies who've made most appearances this season). He's really the wrong guy to be talking about if you want to accuse someone of having absolutely no first team exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Walters and Long have scored so far today. Good news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Walters and Long have scored so far today. Good news

Some not so good news as well though.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0513/320759-oshea-an-injury-worry-for-ireland/
    John O’Shea picked up an injury during Sunderland’s Barclays Premier Leaque clash against Manchester United today.
    The Republic of Ireland defender appeared to be clutching his right leg as he left the field of play just before half-time.
    Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni will be eager to find out the extent of the injury with Euro 2012 imminent. The tournament begins on 8 June, with Ireland up against Croatia on 10 June in Poznan.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Oh dear jesus... this means that feckin McShane will be coming. Lets just hope that if he sees any game time it's the one which got MOTM on his debut against
    the Czech and not almost every game since.

full_irish wrote: »
    Oh dear jesus... this means that feckin McShane will be coming. Lets just hope that if he sees any game time it's the one which got MOTM on his debut against
    the Czech and not almost every game since.

You just know that *somehow* McShane is going to be lifting the Henri Delaunay Trophy on July 1st with the captains armband around his arm. :eek: Goalline save off the back of his head in the final etc etc

It's as though the bobbleheaded buffoon was destined for it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Trap's style of play works whether us Irish like it or not. Would you rather qualify for tournaments playing ugly football or not qualify playing pretty football? Pessimism isn't going to get us anywhere in the Euro's..

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Hypothetically if O'Shea is ruled out tomorrow (hope to god he isn't), can Trap bypass his joke of a standby list and get Wilson or Clarke instead? The only casualty being McShane's feelings hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Hypothetically if O'Shea is ruled out tomorrow (hope to god he isn't), can Trap bypass his joke of a standby list and get Wilson or Clarke instead? The only casualty being McShane's feelings hopefully

Read an interview last week with Glenn Whelean who said Trap and Wilson have buried the hatchet. Although I dont think it will be enough to get him on the plane considering he had no involvement in qualification. O'Shea would be a massive loss.
    Stoke City teammate Marc Wilson hasn’t featured for Ireland since pulling out of last year’s Croatia friendly through injury, but Whelan explained that Trapattoni and Wilson have been in contact about the left-back’s future involvement in the Irish squad. “I spoke to Marc and he said that he’d spoken to the manager of Ireland and he’s told him he’s not out of his plans,” Whelan said. “Marc was delighted to get the phone call because he knew people were still watching him.

http://greenscene.me/2012/05/glenn-whelan-marc-wilson-still-in-trapattonis-plans/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭briany

TheStook wrote: »
    Trap's style of play works whether us Irish like it or not. Would you rather qualify for tournaments playing ugly football or not qualify playing pretty football? Pessimism isn't going to get us anywhere in the Euro's..

Ireland would be playing a tight conservative game no matter what available players were in the team because it be foolish to think that over 90 minutes, the team could match wits with the likes of Croatia and Spain in being open and creative but if the team finds itself a goal down it would be nice to know that there would be some kind of initiative to go forward and look for a goal. If that's not there then we could be watching these games and feeling that sinking feeling in our stomachs if and when Ireland concede with the minutes on the clock beginning to tick by ever more rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

sugarman wrote: »
    While O'Shea would be a big loss, dont forget he plays RB for us. We already have Kelly who is more than capable of slotting in, not to mention Foley behind him aswell.

I would'nt fear McShane being drafted in, if anything, Coleman could very well get the nod.

Fair enough, but you are in the minority with that opinion, lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Soups123 wrote: »
    Traps team would beat this, your opinion on the players is garbage
    My opinion is garbage? McCarthy has been a rock for Wigan and dragged the team to safety, is he garbage? Hoolahan has been a talisman for Norwich and probably the most consistant midfielder we have at the top level, is he garbage? But for injury, Shane Long would be Ireland's top scorer in the Premier League, is he garbage? Clark has established himself as a first team player and has looked better with every game unlike Ward - is he garbage?

We have so many quality players in form and playing at a high level and they aren't even on the plane or in the first team. Trapattoni is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

My opinion is garbage? McCarthy has been a rock for Wigan and dragged the team to safety, is he garbage? Hoolahan has been a talisman for Norwich and probably the most consistant midfielder we have at the top level, is he garbage? But for injury, Shane Long would be Ireland's top scorer in the Premier League, is he garbage? Clark has established himself as a first team player and has looked better with every game unlike Ward - is he garbage?

We have so many quality players in form and playing at a high level and they aren't even on the plane or in the first team. Trapattoni is a disgrace.

My point was more against your assessment of players in the squad and your comments on them was pure ****e. Whealan is our most consistent mid player at the top level maybe not in the mold of what you see as being consistent, Hoolihan only started about half of Norwich games and Clarke less, Trap had no choice with McCarthy.I go to every Ireland game and my four years with Trap have been far from a disgrace we've consistently competed.

Advertisement