Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Whatever about Robben,Ribery is the epitome of inconsistency.
    Even at his best he's not a patch on Nani at his best.No contest IMO.

I'd have to agree. Ribery was good there a few years. All of a sudden Bayern slapped a €70/80 million price tag on him. For that summer he was the hottest property in the game. No one bought him and normal service resumed.

Thank god we kept Nani and didn't but him.

I'm surprised Ribery has lasted so long at Bayern actually. At one stage he was averaging at least a new club every year. 6 clubs from 2000-2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

my point was that every second post from you is about that berba miss or anderson being ****, you don't seem to post about much else, that's why I called it waffle.

Look at the post history and learn. Despite your reg date, you've been stirring around here before. So either cop on or jog on with your repeated waffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Anyone think Sigurdsson could be an option for a big team? Has looked very good since going to Swansea and is only on loan there. Fergie is doubtful to consider him though...

Just looked at his wiki there and he was apparently voted player of the season at Hoffenheim last season despite only playing a handful of games. Do they have idiots running them or something?

Liam O wrote: »
    Anyone think Sigurdsson could be an option for a big team? Has looked very good since going to Swansea and is only on loan there. Fergie is doubtful to consider him though...

Just looked at his wiki there and he was apparently voted player of the season at Hoffenheim last season despite only playing a handful of games. Do they have idiots running them or something?

He's a great player. Only 22 as well. 2 months older than me.

5 goals in 9 games is great going for a midfielder, considering other players have taken 20 games to reach that. He has been brilliant in fantasy football for me this year :pac:.

Have a look at the touch from him 1 minute into this video. It's a touch that Berbatov would be proud of. Control a 60 yarder with the outside of your foot, and then do a bit of skill to make the pass. Simply outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Big fan of Gylfi Sigurdsson myself, since his Reading days. Very tidy player.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know Hoffenheim aren't exactly a small team but it was surprising no at least mid table English team went in for him.

I'd say Hoffenheim will be looking for him back in the summer.

Swansea did very well to get him on loan. He fits in perfectly with their system. They ripped Fulham apart and he was a main part of that.

I'd say Hoffenheim will be looking for him back in the summer.

Swansea did very well to get him on loan. He fits in perfectly with their system. They ripped Fulham apart and he was a main part of that.

he has played very little for them, only played 7 times in the first half of the season apparently which is a bit ridiculous given the form he's shown at Swansea but maybe Swansea's style suits him better. He looks like a player with the skill set required to make it at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

my point was that every second post from you is about that berba miss or anderson being ****, you don't seem to post about much else, that's why I called it waffle.

Look at the post history and learn. Despite your reg date, you've been stirring around here before. So either cop on or jog on with your repeated waffle.
    That's a load of cloptrop to be honest.

My reg date has nothing to do with it, you're a good poster but the berba and ando hate get's repetitive tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Fantastic video of Valencia. Was browsing video's for his performance against Wolves, came across this video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

selling nani makes 0 sense unless we get 25million + quid for him, to buy somebody as good to replace him.

nani is somebody that has scored or assisted 20 goals this season. he has not had a good 3 months, but injuries have played a small factor in that, the form of valencia another. Nani is better on the right, but valencia is better than him that side.

selling nani is a step back, a big step back.

selling nani makes 0 sense unless we get 25million + quid for him, to buy somebody as good to replace him.

nani is somebody that has scored or assisted 20 goals this season. he has not had a good 3 months, but injuries have played a small factor in that, the form of valencia another. Nani is better on the right, but valencia is better than him that side.

selling nani is a step back, a big step back.

Think it depends on the opposition in fairness. Valencia can come up short against top quality left backs, though he did great against Enrique this season which surprised me. Maybe he just bottled the one game in the CL final last season but he was one of the worst players on the pitch and one I thought could make a huge difference.

Liam O wrote: »
    Think it depends on the opposition in fairness. Valencia can come up short against top quality left backs, though he did great against Enrique this season which surprised me. Maybe he just bottled the one game in the CL final last season but he was one of the worst players on the pitch and one I thought could make a huge difference.

hmm i dunno, nani has alot of goals and assists in the big games over the past 2 years, i would suggest his big game record is as good if not better than ronaldos at united for the same united career time frame.

nani has not stepped up in europe though, which ronaldo did big time after Roma game in 07.

unrelated, apparently Viera has been mouthing off this morning, anybody know what he has said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Many United fans, myself included, said Scholes coming back was a sign of desperation and that losing Morrison and possibly Pogba is not a good indicator for the club either. No different to what Vieira has said.

On the Scholes point - he says it shows how difficult it will be for us to replace him as we don't have anyone at the club capable of it, which is true - evidenced by the fact we needed him to come back and that he has been first choice since he came back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

*Cough* Tevez *Cough*

*Cough* Tevez *Cough*

considering they have had to bring in Pizzaro and Hargreaves, i think Viera should shut his mouth to be honest.

City have some excellent players and a really good first 11 (even 16) but outside of this, they are a horribly overated squad. as soon as they lost the 2 toures, had Mario suspended and got 2 injuries, Mancini was crying about not having enough players, despite €600million spent in 4 years.

squads win leagues, not first 11s and ive always maintained that uniteds have the squad, its just got one huge hole in it. Scholes has plugged that hole for a few months, but until its addressed we wont win anything apart from the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Many United fans, myself included, said Scholes coming back was a sign of desperation and that losing Morrison and possibly Pogba is not a good indicator for the club either. No different to what Vieira has said.

On the Scholes point - he says it shows how difficult it will be for us to replace him as we don't have anyone at the club capable of it, which is true - evidenced by the fact we needed him to come back and that he has been first choice since he came back.

I remember we signed Henrik larson for 3 months couple of seasons ago. He had already pretty much retired. Dont remember that being called a desperate measure, just a schrewd piece of business by fergie, which is exactly what bringing bad scholes is.

People are getting hung up on all the propaganda BS thats out there, particularly from the anti united media that loves nothing better then to try and unsettle anything United and make something out of nothing.

I think the average age of our squad is in the mid 20's, why has anybody got a problem with a couple of players in their mid to late 30s if they can still do a top job ? The only question that is important is can Scholes still do it ? Anything else is just moaning for the sake of moaning.

In terms of whether or not we have replaced him or learned to play without him, none of us can fairly assess this squad because its been ravaged with injuries. Fletcher, Anderson and Cleverley (3 CMs) have all missed huge amounts of the season with injury. At the start an Anderson - Cleverley midfield looked like it might yield surprisingly good results, but we cannot be sure if it was or wasnt the answer to the midfield problems because of injuries.

In the absence of clarity on this topic, people have decided to default to the whole "we cant replace scholes" media waffle that simply ignores the injury fiasco. Not just that, its a stupid comment anyway. Have we replaced Roy Keane or ruud van nistlerooy ? Fergie Seldom replaces top players, he just changes the way the team plays to adapt to the players available to him. That is one of the many reasons why he has been a roaring success, he doesnt lament the loss of top players like the media and certain fans do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

And Chico...

And Bebe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Nothing bad or wrong in what Vieira is saying,the improvement since Scholes came back will tell you that.
    CM is our weakness and it does look bad bringing a 37 year old out of retirement but then again he probably should have left it until the end of this season to retire anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

kryogen wrote: »
    And Chico...

And Bebe ;)
    Who?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I have been wondering actually, why does Viera seem to have no love for Arsenal anymore? He is all City these days, I know he got a job off them and all, but his name is synonymous with the Arsenal title winning teams, should he not be considered an Arsenal legend/ex player/fan rather then a City one? He played what one season with City? 2 maybe?

Just thought he would have had more of an affinity for Arsenal is all, thinking out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Valencia has been incredible for us recently.

With a couple of CM additions in the summer, a young left back and another striker we will have a real pacey squad.

Young left back? pacey? look no further then Fabio da Silva! (just keep him fit :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

City have some excellent players and a really good first 11 (even 16) but outside of this, they are a horribly overated squad. as soon as they lost the 2 toures, had Mario suspended and got 2 injuries, Mancini was crying about not having enough players, despite €600million spent in 4 years

In fairness, any team would have felt that hit no matter what the quality of the squad. Especially if the absences were pretty much all first teamers, which they were.

Its easy to throw the figures out there on what they have spent, but to overhaul an average squad, get a top manager and coaching staff etc and achieve success in very few years that is the sort of money in the current climate that would have to be pumped into the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

kryogen wrote: »
    Young left back? pacey? look no further then Fabio da Silva! (just keep him fit :))

I am just so against having a right footed player playing LB especially in the modern game. The wingers nowadays are usually playing on opposite sides, for example, Nani or Young for ourselves. Their tendency will be to cut inside and whether he likes it or not Fabio will tend to do the same because it's favouring his stronger foot. This will just cause so many problems, FB's are so important in today's game, they are now seen as attackers rather than out and out defenders, they are there to stretch the back 4 of the opposition to create space for the other attackers. I want a FB who is willing to get the byline and deliver crosses or pull backs, not someone who is likely to cut inside clogging things up.

I know people will cite the likes of Lahm and Zambrotta and who knows maybe Fabio will actually turn out to be a really good LB and make me eat my words but I actually think he is a better RB than LB and personally I'd have him in ahead of Rafael. It will def be interesting to see how Fergie goes about replacing someone like Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I am just so against having a right footed player playing LB especially in the modern game. The wingers nowadays are usually playing on opposite sides, for example, Nani or Young for ourselves. Their tendency will be to cut inside and whether he likes it or not Fabio will tend to do the same because it's favouring his stronger foot. This will just cause so many problems, FB's are so important in today's game, they are now seen as attackers rather than out and out defenders, they are there to stretch the back 4 of the opposition to create space for the other attackers. I want a FB who is willing to get the byline and deliver crosses or pull backs, not someone who is likely to cut inside clogging things up.

I know people will cite the likes of Lahm and Zambrotta and who knows maybe Fabio will actually turn out to be a really good LB and make me eat my words but I actually think he is a better RB than LB and personally I'd have him in ahead of Rafael. It will def be interesting to see how Fergie goes about replacing someone like Evra.

Surely the reverse could then be used, as in a right footed wing back and a left footed winger. The wing back could cut inside and create space wide for the winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

In fairness, any team would have felt that hit no matter what the quality of the squad. Especially if the absences were pretty much all first teamers, which they were.

Its easy to throw the figures out there on what they have spent, but to overhaul an average squad, get a top manager and coaching staff etc and achieve success in very few years that is the sort of money in the current climate that would have to be pumped into the club.

one thing I admire about Utd is that for what 2/3 seasons now? You have lost most of your CB's due to injury, been forced to play midfielders there at one time or another and STILL mounted a challenge\won the title

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement