Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gems from the 90's

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 millser19

Im not sure how well known this song is, just because I hadn't heard about it until very recently, but its such a track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

This song is like cuddles under a blanket made of kittens and love

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Here's a few:
    Just reading about Talvin Singh, won the mercury music prize (when it was good) but only sold 90k copies. If you don't have his album OK, get it now! If you don't like the song I linked to, give the album about 3 listens and you'll be addicted. Really hasn't dated a day and is one of my all time favourite albums.

He won it the year before Nitin Sawhney was nominated with Beyond Skin which was one of the wry best albums of decade. Like Singh it's hardly aged, I think had Singh not won the previous year Sawhney may have after such is the nonsense way the judges work.

It'd help if I put something up from the Album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

From 1993..being searching for this ..thought it was called room 101..sounds better today..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFgHy-ia8RM There's some sweet sweet nostalgia in this album for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Great lyrics on this song, Afghan Whigs are generally fantastic and somewhat overlooked by a lot of people when talking about 90's indie.

It's been good to see the Pavement love here, but this cover of "Here" by the brilliant Tindersticks is something else. Their 90's output in general is essential listening at 3am.

There's more to The Beta Band than Dry The Rain, most notably this great track from The 3 EPs.

ValJester wrote: »
    Great lyrics on this song, Afghan Whigs are generally fantastic and somewhat overlooked by a lot of people when talking about 90's indie.

Vastly underrated never achieved success in their time.,,but I heard that Album many years ago..only in the last couple have I come to appreciate it for what is ...a masterpiece.,,have to say I have'nt listened to much they released after ..

Surprised to see a new video for debonair ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJwWmz8Mp3U

Even more surprised when i booked tickets for their London gig On Sun 19th August for 30 pounds...followed the London link from here..
    http://theafghanwhigs.com/

Hope its all legit..how come this aint sold out?? I'll take a chance.Hotmail marked the confirmation email with a red flag.:mad:
    I have googled and it seems secure.idk ...I need a reason to visit london regardess ! *flight is e40* fri-mon on ryanair .this is almost to good to be true tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    Surprised to see a new video for debonair ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJwWmz8Mp3U

That's not a new video. I remember seeing that one (or at least one containing that Greg-Dulli-Pimp-Cane footage on No Disco years ago)

I think there were two videos for that song though.

Didn't get to see them at Primavera this year, would have liked to see what they're like these days though.

I guess your right Jeff,.. Hadn't see that video before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Nearly God - Poems. (Tricky, Terry Hall etc.)
    Came across this CD today as we pack to move.
    (Nice nod to Ghost Town to begin with)

I guess your right Jeff,.. Hadn't see that video before.

Wasn't trying to out-indie-nerd you there. Just remember that one well from the 90's. Good post!

Wasn't trying to out-indie-nerd you there. Just remember that one well from the 90's. Good post!

No worries Jeff..appreciate the correction..Im far to thick music-wise to be a nerd anyway:). ..reading the comments on utube seems I wasn't alone in my assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

One of the catchiest songs ever-

smacg wrote: »
    One of the catchiest songs ever-

The Chills.....jesus!
    You've put me in mind of one of theirs that I post in the 80s gems right now:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Reckon these guys have been listening to Oasis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

These guys may have been mentioned already, like many bands from over the years, I'm discovering them quite late - surprised I've only heard of these guys now though given their link to The Cure.

Cranes - Wish

These guys may have been mentioned already, like many bands from over the years, I'm discovering them quite late - surprised I've only heard of these guys now though given their link to The Cure.

Cranes - Wish

Good track choice

Even more surprised when i booked tickets for their London gig On Sun 19th August for 30 pounds...followed the London link from here..
    http://theafghanwhigs.com/

I see this poster is no longer a member here which is too bad 'cos I was at this gig too, and for anyone who's interested these guys blew my F---in' brains out! Brilliant! Every single song vastly superior to the recorded version, and they weren't half bad to begin with.

Personal faves were "Crime Scene, Part one" "I'm Her Slave", what I thought to be a "new" song (though I know now it's a cover) called "See And Don't See".

Absolute highlight though was a really explosive version of "Citi Soleil" that practically stripped the paint off the walls.

Couldn't really gauge the crowd by the way. I know the venue holds about 1500-ish but it does have two balconies and I couldn't see what was going on there. I was right at the front which was packed, so for the benefit of rock'n'roll I sincerely hope the upper two floors were just as buzzing.

P.S Saw Mudhoney in the same venue about three years ago. Great gig, they were really good, and as a band I've always liked Mudhoney's records a lot more than Afghan Whigs. But just going by the gigs I gotta say the Whigs put on the better of two excellent shows.

I see this poster is no longer a member here which is too bad 'cos I was at this gig too.

He's not gone. Merely changed accounts to notnumber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Yeah still here I did buy the ticket but could nt afford to complete the trip..makes me feel much better to know it was fantastic :mad:

Advertisement