Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help reducing upc bill

Options
  • 09-02-2015 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm sick of my bill increases annually and if anything the service is awful.

I have only digital value tv and fibre broadband 30mb. I was on €41.99 last year but it increased to €48.99. The best they could do was give 2 months free and then charge €48.99 thereafter which worked out as €41.99 over 12 months. So my new bill increase thats coming up will be up to €55

I just rang the loyalty team (I was a few days off 30 cancellation period) and they said that I already had a BB loyalty €5 discount that runs out in April (contract up then) and the best they could do was knock €5 off my bill from then for 6 months but that brings it to still €7 more that original amount:( They really don't offer you anything anymore

They also said i'm on an older package so If if cancel say just tv my bill will still be €40 p/m as you now need tv in all packages. I was considering cancelling just tv and getting free to view.

Whats the best way to get a better deal? Fully cancel and wait and see if they contact me?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If it was just me in the house, I'd be doing this all the time. Having the broadband down with wife and kid is a different story! Ring up and confirm cancellation procedure, return of modem, any charges etc. If it goes through, fine, ring back as a new customer. Any one else in the house you can put their name on it? Has your router been changed recently? The older ones can't do the new speeds I believe.

There's also a "Talk to UPC" section here, if you'd like to check with them. They'll always say that you're on the best possible deal, but i'd definitely be going onto the cancellation section. Do you have the phone with them as well? Best value always seems to be with a bundle.

Sky also have some good offerings. Ring them up for a price at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

MarkR wrote: »
    If it was just me in the house, I'd be doing this all the time. Having the broadband down with wife and kid is a different story! Ring up and confirm cancellation procedure, return of modem, any charges etc. If it goes through, fine, ring back as a new customer. Any one else in the house you can put their name on it? Has your router been changed recently? The older ones can't do the new speeds I believe.

Hiya, there's one other person in the house and they are also on the bill unfortunately. I don't think they'd mind though if I cancelled and see where it took me. Do they usually chase you up to stay though? No we've the same router. That may explain why we aren't getting the max speed

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

foxy_j wrote: »
    Hiya, there's one other person in the house and they are also on the bill unfortunately. I don't think they'd mind though if I cancelled and see where it took me. Do they usually chase you up to stay though? No we've the same router. That may explain why we aren't getting the max speed

Sky are going to offer you half price for 6 months. Use that in any negotiation with UPC. Worse case scenario, disconnect and call back sheepishly. Not going to charge you more!

There's a big thread about this over in Bargain Alerts, worth a read I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

thanks I'll take a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Why not try a free to air box and just get Vodafone broadband and your total cost would be €35 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some people are getting half price for 4 months BB only from UPC.

I would get that and a saorview or combo saorview & freesat system in.

The UPC BB is the best out there, its not worth saving 5~10 and getting a different BB. Dropping the TV though is a worthwhile saving of 40ish a month.

Advertisement