Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc price increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Liberty boy

I can't believe UPC are back again after only 12 months looking for another price increase. Last January they looked for an increase of €14 a month or €168 a year. Now they want €11 a month or €132 a year, a total of €300, are they for real. I rang last year & got a reduction for 12 months, but that's up now, so I'll be on the full rate from 1st February + the new increase of €11 a month, no thanks. If everyone cancelled what do you think would happen ? It's about time we said enough is enough & stood up to UPC & tell them we are not paying these ridiculous price increases. I'm on a company pension & haven't had an increase in 6 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

hate upc terrible service so slow, moving back to sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2 louisbrady

Horizon Select Extra
    Home Phone-Anytime 150
    Broadband 120......Currently Paying €73.00pm = €876 per year

€7.00pm Increase = €80pm = € 960 per year

Rang up to cancel..Was offered

Horizon Max
    Home Phone Anytime 300
    120 Broadband...

€65 x 6 Months and €80 x 6 Months = €870 per year

A saving of €6.00 per year on my original package

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

I can't believe UPC are back again after only 12 months looking for another price increase. Last January they looked for an increase of €14 a month or €168 a year. Now they want €11 a month or €132 a year, a total of €300, are they for real. I rang last year & got a reduction for 12 months, but that's up now, so I'll be on the full rate from 1st February + the new increase of €11 a month, no thanks. If everyone cancelled what do you think would happen ? It's about time we said enough is enough & stood up to UPC & tell them we are not paying these ridiculous price increases. I'm on a company pension & haven't had an increase in 6 years.

So you struck a deal with them last year. For that reason you cant do so this time around, i had no reduction last year after an increase (unlike you) so i shall be damn sure getting a great deal to stay for the next 12 months.
    If everyone cancelled LOL - did not see you cancel last year! You struck a deal with UPC like all of us either did or will do now.

Why dont you shop about, your not likely to get another deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I had heard many stories about UPC offering people deals to stay when they were cancelling, and yet when I phoned them to cancel certain packages, I was offered no deal. I was only with with them 2 years at that stage but still expected to be offered something.

• Advertisement

Like you said, I struck a deal last year, that's the only reason I stayed with them. If there is no deal this year I'm off. The only reason I am with them is for the sports & now that BT have taken some of the sports I follow I would have to pay even more money. I think it's time to get a dish & free to air but of course this means no sports. Sky sports in going up to €40 a month + whatever BT sports is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

When I rang them I told them I had already moved to sky and eas waiting on the contract to finish. Told them I saw the deal online for broadband only and was offered 20€ for 4 months then 40 thereafter on a 12 months contract. Had to agree then and there. Happy with that as my sky deal is half price for a year for everything @ 45pm.
    Would never go near upc again for tv as all we had was problems. I'd say more horizon issue that the actual service

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Bateman wrote: »
    I had heard many stories about UPC offering people deals to stay when they were cancelling, and yet when I phoned them to cancel certain packages, I was offered no deal. I was only with with them 2 years at that stage but still expected to be offered something.

It depends on how important your account is to them. We have UPC equipment on the side of the house, so that always helps when ringing them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Dermot224

I have Digi Max, Sports and Movies HD,120 mb BB with Anytime calls and multiroom. Current price €139 with discounts. Was informed of €3 euro increase for Sports and €3.01 for BB total new price €142.01. Rang loyalty and got new deal of €96 for 6 months and then €136. Happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mrs. Doyle

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    It depends on how important your account is to them. We have UPC equipment on the side of the house, so that always helps when ringing them up.

Interested in this aspect. We have an end house with their cabling. Need to haggle on this year's figure so just wondering how this affects things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Mrs. Doyle wrote: »
    Interested in this aspect. We have an end house with their cabling. Need to haggle on this year's figure so just wondering how this affects things?

Tell them that you would expect them to remove their infrastructure off your property if you are no longer a customer benefiting from their service. You could even ask them to pay rent to locate their equipment on your home :)

I'd be interested to hear how you get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

the amount of customers they are loosing because of this latest price increase in unbelievable...getting tons of work as a result thanks UPC....there is no justification for increasing the price of the service on MMDS its nutz.

steveon wrote: »
    getting tons of work as a result thanks UPC

How so? Saorview?

Does anyone have a breakdown of the new price increase. Everyone seems to be getting different increases depending on what package they are on, and UPC don't give a breakdown of their new charges. I would love to know what my new charges are for !!!

Does anyone have a breakdown of the new price increase. Everyone seems to be getting different increases depending on what package they are on, and UPC don't give a breakdown of their new charges. I would love to know what my new charges are for !!!

That's the big problem with these increases, no clear indication as to what they are for. People who have only signed up recently are being notified of price increases. When they ring UPC they are on calls for up to an hour and when being transferred for further discussion they are being cut off. Very poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Going on the great advice I got here I rang the UPC Loyalty Dept. on 061-272190 today. They are giving me six months at €40 and free upgrade to Prime.

Don't know what they are thinking as Sky and Eircom are just as good; only thing letting me with UPC is the multi-channel recording as it saves lives in our house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

this is the resource you are supposed to use: http://www.upc.ie/pricechanges/

of course, it's incomplete... ;)

if you have the time, please file a formal complaint with UPC and then notify Comreg. Comreg have previously investigated them for a) not having a price list and b) not notifying customers with enough notice / informaiton. However they can't do much if you don't make a complaint first to UPC.

I'm in the process of doing just that.

If it's just cabling then you won't get a massively great deal. Have a look out for boxes that the cable goes to. We have a booster box (I believe that's what it's called anyway)

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    We have a booster box (I believe that's what it's called anyway)

How do you know what a booster box is i.e. is it on the gable wall or under the eaves and what does it looklike? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

donal.hunt wrote: »
    this is the resource you are supposed to use: http://www.upc.ie/pricechanges/

of course, it's incomplete... ;)

if you have the time, please file a formal complaint with UPC and then notify Comreg. Comreg have previously investigated them for a) not having a price list and b) not notifying customers with enough notice / informaiton. However they can't do much if you don't make a complaint first to UPC.

I'm in the process of doing just that.

Would love to know the updates.

• Advertisement

How do you know what a booster box is i.e. is it on the gable wall or under the eaves and what does it looklike? Thanks.

Used to be on the wall above our garage but they have moved it recently down to the side of the garage because of health and safety. The box is about 30/40 cm^2 and has several cables going into it. It's unmissable. To be honest, if you've never had UPC talk to you about it before then you don't have one. They regularly call at the door to ask us to allow them access to it so that they can make some tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I got a price increase of €7 or €8 (I can't remember which). I rang to cancel and they offered me half price for 6 months, free call upgrade (I make about two calls a month using the landline) and were offering faster broadband speeds.

I had enough and cancelled. All I have to do now is post their box back to them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ianobrien wrote: »
    I got a price increase of €7 or €8 (I can't remember which). I rang to cancel and they offered me half price for 6 months, free call upgrade (I make about two calls a month using the landline) and were offering faster broadband speeds.

I had enough and cancelled. All I have to do now is post their box back to them.

Well that was rather silly!

You will now end up paying more for less service from other companies!!

All companies in crease prices in time. Eircom are increasing their prices in April, Sky do it almost yearly too, etc.

bk wrote: »
    Well that was rather silly!

You will now end up paying more for less service from other companies!!

Ah nope. I got TV and 50MB broadband from another provider for €55pm. I will admit there is no phone on that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ah nope. I got TV and 50MB broadband from another provider for €55pm. I will admit there is no phone on that.

So you are getting a 1/4 of the broadband speed 50Mb/s versus 240Mb/s and no free calls! Doesn't seem like a very good deal to me.

Also is €55 an introductory price (for a few months) because I'm not aware of any company doing broadband + tv for that price? Sky is €80 per month and Eircom is €68 per month for their BB + TV bundles.

UPC is €75 for 240MB/s BB + TV + phone (unlimited national + mobile calls), if they were offering 50% off that, then it would have been €37.5 for a few months!

So you are getting a 1/4 of the broadband speed 50Mb/s versus 240Mb/s and no free calls! Doesn't seem like a very good deal to me.

Also is €55 an introductory price (for a few months) because I'm not aware of any company doing broadband + tv for that price? Sky is €80 per month and Eircom is €68 per month for their BB + TV bundles.

UPC is €75 for 240MB/s BB + TV + phone (unlimited national + mobile calls), if they were offering 50% off that, then it would have been €37.5 for a few months!

As for the speeds, I was only getting about 50MB and despite my efforts I generally didn't get more than that from UPC. I'm getting unlimited 50MB now so from my point of view, I'm getting the same speed, the channels I want for about €25pm less. I don't need 240MB and I wouldn't pay extra for that speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If most of their broadband use is wireless (like most people), then the 240Mb speed is no use to them, they won't get above 30-40 Mb anyway.

As for the speeds, I was only getting about 50MB and despite my efforts I generally didn't get more than that from UPC. I'm getting unlimited 50MB now so from my point of view, I'm getting the same speed, the channels I want for about €25pm less. I don't need 240MB and I wouldn't pay extra for that speed.
    RainyDay wrote: »
    If most of their broadband use is wireless (like most people), then the 240Mb speed is no use to them, they won't get above 30-40 Mb anyway.

Unless you follow my guide here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057367191

and buy a decent router, in which case you can get speeds as high as 200Mb/s over wifi like I am :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Unless you follow my guide here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057367191

and buy a decent router, in which case you can get speeds as high as 200Mb/s over wifi like I am :D

That's a really useful guide, fair play to you for putting it together.

The downside is that it is beyond the capability of 99% of UPC broadband customers to implement your guidance. So for the vast majority of UPC broadband users, speed above the 30-40 mb is fairly irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭JoeCat

Since the price increase and the way they treat existing customers, we have cancelled the service. Tomorrow they will be collecting the equipment. Be aware that the whole cancellation process takes a month and they don't even bother to reply emails sent to their cancellation email inbox.

Advertisement