Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

upc price increase

• 02-01-2015 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭

I got an email this morning UPC is going up from February 1st by €5 per month.

they say my prime a new service is coming in February sounds like netflix a bit and from this summer a speed increase from 200mb to 240mb. you can cancel your contract without penalty if you do not wish to accept these charges.

http://www.upc.ie/pricechanges/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty much a year since the last price rise - which I ended up avoiding plus another minor reduction by asking to drop off the top package. They don't like losing people off that headline number.

That deal will expire soon so I wonder what I'll get off them this time.

"Ever growing selection of channels" - they're still missing FTA channels like 4seven or ITVBe let alone more recent premium channel launches...

I wonder will they remember the ASAI judgement against them from last time - http://asai.ie/complaint_view.asp?CID=1216&BID=61 - and remember to stop putting the old price up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

My bill will increase by 10 per month :mad:

The reasons are:
    20 extra channels to choose from, including SyFy, Animal Planet, Disney and Disney Junior. That will bring the total number of channels to 100.

Upgrading your Freetime World Home Phone Pack from 1 February 2015 to include free local and national calls at any time of the day, not just off peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

€7.01 a month here. Website seems to be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Mine is going up by €13 per month, bit of a coincidence that their website is down. bye bye sky sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I got a notice of €7 price increase. :eek: :mad:

At the moment paying €73.

I am out of contract though. Just wondering how to approch UPC to get some discount?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

coldfire1x wrote: »

I am out of contract though. Just wondering how to approch UPC to get some discount?

There was oceans of discussion on boards at the time of the last price increase.

Ring them up, tell them it's too much and you want to cancel. They may then offer you a discount to stay, subject to you signing up for 12 months.

But if your price is being increased, being in or out of contract doesn't matter - because they're changing the terms, you can just opt out of the contract completely and just cancel, whether you have one month or 11 months left.

Waiting for my own email to hit the inbox. Couldn't give a sh*te about more free calls since I never use the phone, and Animal Planet and SyFy ain't doing it for me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I'm out of contract and currently paying €63 a month for horizon max which is all the tv bar sports and movies, 200mb and anytime phone.
    I spoke to someone in loyalty and the best they could do was give me a 6 months discount she said that they cannot apply 12 month discounts any longer.

so that'd mean a 12 month contract 6 months of discount and 6 months full price with reduced bb to 120mb.

post here if anyone manages to get a 12 month contract discount please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

my increase is 8 euros. everyone is getting a different number from them?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"20 extra channels to choose from" sounds like they're ripping out the middle tier channel pack. Which means that its going to be slightly harder to justify increases for those already *on* Max. An extra 40mbits that's only any use if you've got a gigabit LAN in your house (I do, but still) isn't something most people want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm fairly interested in what this My Prime service, how it differs from UPC's existing On Demand (which started with so much promise but has been run into the ground), and indeed what it means for the existing On Demand service - will this now go?

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    "20 extra channels to choose from" sounds like they're ripping out the middle tier channel pack. Which means that its going to be slightly harder to justify increases for those already *on* Max. An extra 40mbits that's only any use if you've got a gigabit LAN in your house (I do, but still) isn't something most people want.

That's pretty much exactly what they are doing, Digital Select Exta and Digital Max are being merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ring them and cancel, go all the way through with it and two days before they are due to cut you off you'll get a phone call. Look at current bundles and expect a better offer because you've been a loyal customer for x years. If they don't value you quit and either move or sign up again as a new customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭kooga

mmmmmmmmm had a look at the price increase and have decided to ditch sky sports at €40 a month and get playboy movies and television x instead and save .50c.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

My Prime, judging from UPC Switzerland looks like a much enhanced on-demand service (which will help them compete more fully with Sky).

With the right content it could be very interesting: http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/television/myprime/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

There will be some side-effects to this price increase:
    (1) It will accelerate the adoption of streaming TV boxes.
    (2) It will increase the amount of TV 'cord cutting'.
    (3) It will accelerate freesat and Saorview adoption.
    (4) It will increase the number of broadband only households.

I can't help both wonder if UPC is shooting itself in the foot.

Its so big that the inertia and size of its customer base will cushion it.

Internet only isn't that much cheaper. So the cost saving of dropping TV isn't as much as you think. vs a combo freesat & Saorview install with similar functionality.

I can't check the current prices as the UPC has slowed to a crawl in the last week. I'd looking at my option come renewal in a few months.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    With the right content it could be very interesting: http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/television/myprime/

Unfortunately that's been UPC's week point - from a fairly good start with the promise of improvements, UPC's box sets service has dwindled to nearly nothing. Of course that may have been so they could relaunch it as My Prime. The Sky-HBO exclusive deal will always keep some of the biggest US series off any service UPC or anyone else can offer in this market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

BuffyBot wrote: »
    My Prime, judging from UPC Switzerland looks like a much enhanced on-demand service (which will help them compete more fully with Sky).

even in switzerland you get ITV1HD with UPCtv in switzerland

enjoy the UPC TV increase in ireland

I have the 120 megs UPC broadband/phone package but with no phone line connected
    I have sky/saorview in the main tv room but have freesat/saorview in 2 other rooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

ftakeith wrote: »
    even in switzerland you get ITV1HD with UPCtv in switzerland

enjoy the UPC TV increase in ireland

I have the 120 megs UPC broadband/phone package but with no phone line connected
    I have sky/saorview in the main tv room but have freesat/saorview in 2 other rooms

Surely that costs a lot more than getting everything from UPC? How much does your Sky cost?

I was thinking of switching but Sky seems way more expensive.

And what are we missing from ITV that we don't get from UTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Mine will be increased by €8. Not a chance I'll accept this. With Sky now finally rolling out fibre I'll get pricing to the complete bundle from both and the cheapest gets the business. Currently paying about €95 for UPC (200mb bb + landline + basic horizon tv + extra point) and €70 for Sky (Sky HD inc Movies and Sports). On a side note my UPC on demand hasn't been working for a couple of months now, anybody else have this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

I currently have the 50meg broadband with free national calls and 400 mins international calls, no tv for e37 a month.
    Will I be changed automatically to a new package and if so will that start a new one year contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

duffman13 wrote: »
    Ring them and cancel, go all the way through with it and two days before they are due to cut you off you'll get a phone call. Look at current bundles and expect a better offer because you've been a loyal customer for x years. If they don't value you quit and either move or sign up again as a new customer.

I heard they dont play ball here with hop offs hop back ons by not letting a cancelled acount rejoin for 2 months?. Is this true?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just off the phone with them -

Currently on

Digital Select Extra 120
    With one standard multiroom

Was paying €65 last year,
    they're now offering €71 for first 6 months and €81 from then on.
    (didn't push them to far yet, i.e. threaten cancellation)

Was onto Sky earlier and they are offering me

Variety Pack + HD + 100mb broadband
    at €62 for first 6 months and €82 from then on.
    Would just get freeview for bedroom in this case. Or use sky go.

Will think about it a bit longer before deciding.

You're getting a disk and skybox with that too. No? You could do that for a year, keep the gear then switch back to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 iamdonie1984

I got an email today saying it was going up by €18.99 a month!!!

How do they calculate the differing amounts? That's the second price increase with them. The OH has been annoying me to switch and I think I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Also using this opportunity to take a long hard look at freesat.

Question. Do you have to have a tv package (i.e Horizon) to get a multiroom? I have a basic point in the kitchen for 6 euro or so and one up in the bedroom. Will they be cancelled if I ditch the main horizon box in the sitting room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭kooga

pippip wrote: »
    Just off the phone with them -

Currently on

Digital Select Extra 120
    With one standard multiroom

Was paying €65 last year,
    they're now offering €71 for first 6 months and €81 from then on.
    (didn't push them to far yet, i.e. threaten cancellation)

Was onto Sky earlier and they are offering me

Variety Pack + HD + 100mb broadband
    at €62 for first 6 months and €82 from then on.
    Would just get freeview for bedroom in this case. Or use sky go.

Will think about it a bit longer before deciding.

you won't get anything better from UPC until you say yo are cancelling. You hav eto go through with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Also using this opportunity to take a long hard look at freesat.

Question. Do you have to have a tv package (i.e Horizon) to get a multiroom? I have a basic point in the kitchen for 6 euro or so and one up in the bedroom. Will they be cancelled if I ditch the main horizon box in the sitting room?

Go with Freesat and Saorview. You will save all your sub every month, while the set up cost is only paid once. You should be in profit before the year is out, and then FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE for ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

pippip wrote:
    Variety Pack + HD + 100mb broadband at €62 for first 6 months and €82 from then on. Would just get freeview for bedroom in this case. Or use sky go.

The speed of Sky's broadband and another other service provided via a phone line will depend largely on how good the copper line to your house is. That's the advantage UPC have with their own cabling having been upgraded to provided their advertised speeds.

Strongly thinking of dumping the TV, keeping broadband and phone only and getting saorview and free sat combination for the telly.

There's a large thread on this in the bargain alerts section of boards if you want to see what other people get offered when they go to cancel.

• Advertisement

Go with Freesat and Saorview. You will save all your sub every month, while the set up cost is only paid once. You should be in profit before the year is out, and then FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE for ever.

I was looking at this yoke.

http://www.freesat.ie/product-info.php?free_to_air-pid207.html

Are these guys expensive or decent?

kooga wrote: »
    you won't get anything better from UPC until you say yo are cancelling. You hav eto go through with it.

Ah yeh I know, just nice to know I have a fall back option should they really dig their heals in this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mattb74 wrote: »
    Mine will be increased by €8. Not a chance I'll accept this. With Sky now finally rolling out fibre I'll get pricing to the complete bundle from both and the cheapest gets the business.

Whatever the advertising might say, the Sky broadband service to your house will be via a phone line. Sky are not physically 'rolling out' anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2.01 for us only have internet and a phone (which never arrived).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

Was chatting with my mam about the price increase when she told me her bill for broadband and phone is usually around 80-90 Euro. I thought this was crazy so logged into MyUPC and checked her bill. She's been paying €63 for a 200Mb line. Also €18 for the phone with World Pack. Yet their site says all that is €45 per month. How can this be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Freesat.ie have been around for many years and are well regarded in the industry.

I was looking at this yoke.

http://www.freesat.ie/product-info.php?free_to_air-pid207.html

Are these guys expensive or decent?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Morpork wrote: »
    Was chatting with my mam about the price increase when she told me her bill for broadband and phone is usually around 80-90 Euro. I thought this was crazy so logged into MyUPC and checked her bill. She's been paying €63 for a 200Mb line. Also €18 for the phone with World Pack. Yet their site says all that is €45 per month. How can this be?
    UPC hike their prices up all the time if you don't ring them up to keep them in check (i.e. threaten to leave).

Good news is that your Mam can switch over to the new package and save a decent chunk of change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

Ring up and ask to speak to the customer retention team

Tony wrote: »
    Freesat.ie have been around for many years and are well regarded in the industry.

Another question on freesat. Is there any box that has a nice GUI. The one that we have in work seems to be a bit clunky. Are there certain brands that do nice boxes and associated software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

There are but best to ask in the satellite or terrestrial forums as its off topic for this thread and forum I think.

Another question on freesat. Is there any box that has a nice GUI. The one that we have in work seems to be a bit clunky. Are there certain brands that do nice boxes and associated software?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    There are but best to ask in the satellite or terrestrial forums as its off topic for this thread and forum I think.

Thanks Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

I have been told today my increase is €14 per month!!
    I am outraged, i think this is unacceptable. What am i getting for it? Nothing that interests me.
    The question was asked, why are there so many different increases to each customer?
    It makes no sense.
    I have horizon box, two multiroom points (bedroom and mancave) i have max pakage, sky movies and sports, BT sports and broadband with them!
    I pay €168 a month!!
    I have never been comfortable paying this but it really is my only indulgence. The additional €14 per month will push me over the edge!!

Firstly, is there a customer retention team?
    Secondly, in my situation, and not wanting to lose any tv channels (our household watch them all) how could i go about getting my costs down?
    I hear about these boxes such as freesat and honestly, im lost.

Hope someone has some advise and hope i have posted in the correct thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

I only have broadband .I've had it a long time and got a notice saying of 1 euro increase. Strange how the offering I have is not available anymore..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Got an email today saying I would have to pay an extra 10euro. My normal bill is 95euro, Digital plus with 2 extra cable points; 120 broadband and phone

They have offered me a new package ''free'' called Prime

Get even more with a FREE Horizon box upgrade

Horizon Max TV with My Prime
    - Over 100 channels with all the popular Irish and UK channels
    - Record 4 programmes while you watch a 5th
    - 22 HD channels included as standard

Unlimited Broadband
    - Unlimited 120Mb Broadband
    - Unlimited usage

Calls Included
    - 300 Anytime minutes of calls to local, national, Irish mobiles and to fixed landline numbers in 22 selected international destinations including USA and Canadian mobile numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

€15.99 increase.

120mb BB
    150 minutes package thing
    Mid tv package
    Multiroom
    Sky Sports sub

So €16 on top of a €111 bill. We are out of contract since October ish.

Loyalty dept will get a call.

Morf wrote: »

Let us know how you get on Morf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Morf wrote: »
    €15.99 increase.

120mb BB
    150 minutes package thing
    Mid tv package
    Multiroom
    Sky Sports sub

So €16 on top of a €111 bill. We are out of contract since October ish.

I currently pay about €90, got the text saying will increase by €8. Spoke to loyalty team yesterday and was offered 50% off for 6 months

Currently paying €65 due to go up €5 with increase but deal runs out this month. Then up to €86 per month.

Rang on Monday offered me 6 months @ €71 & 6 months €81

Called again today to cancel, now offered 4 months @ €46 & 8 months €81

Will call again tomorrow. Would be happy with the 50% off for 6 months others seem to be getting so thats my aim.

Sky due to ring me back later so will see what they can do.

Sorry guys but this 50% off for 6 months.
    Is that 50% off the cost increase or 50% off total bill?

Want to be certain before i go calling them today.

It should be 50% off the total package.

So if your package is €100 per month after increases and no other promotional offers you would be looking for €50 for first 6 months then €100 thereafter.

For others who may not have it the loyalty dept number is 061 272190
    Saves you having to go through the whole menu system and speak to someone else before being out through to the them. Be aware on a few occasions I rang and was up to 15mins on hold and suddenly line went dead so keep trying, got through this morning in 5mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

They don't seem to be doing as good as deals as they did this time last year. Seems the best one they will offer is that 6 months @ €71 & 6 months €81 deal for the max package.

Has anyone had any luck getting a reduced price on a broadband/phone only package?

• Advertisement
Advertisement