Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Horizon Phone App

Options
  • 26-04-2013 5:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

UPC is looking into offering a new service that will allow our customers to use their home phone from their mobile. This service is called Horizon Phone app. You would be able to download this app from Apple’s AppStore or GooglePlay for free. You would then simply log-in using your My UPC details and the service would be activated immediately.

You could make and receive calls wherever you are, as if you were at home sitting in the comfort of your sofa. This would be an extension of your home phone so there are no additional charges. You would pay the same rate as for your fixed line calls, even when you are abroad. There are no roaming charges!

If you have free minutes with your home phone pack from UPC they could be used when making calls via Horizon Phone app. You would also be able to listen to your home phone voicemail.

Horizon Phone app also allows you to use the contact list that you have on your device, so you don’t have to worry about typing in numbers. All that you need is to have Wifi or a 3G connection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Several VOIP companies like blue face offer this, very impressed with UPC and there offerings lately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Sales told me about this app last week. Sounds cool. Again BT launched a similar app recently in the UK. I know I've never plugged a phone into my UPC phone socket. Having VOIP access I might be inclined to use some of those free minutes I'm paying for but have never used.

I hope it supports visual voicemail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I hope it supports visual voicemail.

Thats the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Stuart74

Hi Davy,

Would you have the link to the Horizon phone App?

Tried looking in the AppStore but can't find it.

Thanks.

Stuart.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Faz6r

i cant wait for this and the free wifi too,
    now if only upc would get around to sorting out the horizon any screen app for android, then id be a happy fcuker

• Advertisement

Stuart74 wrote: »
    Hi Davy,

Would you have the link to the Horizon phone App?

Tried looking in the AppStore but can't find it.

Thanks.

Stuart.
    heres the one for android, the apple version probably has a similar name i.e upc phone
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.upc.phone

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Says my Galaxy S4 is not compatible

Edit: Actually looking at the supported device list, it seems pretty out of date! Supported Devices

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Faz6r wrote: »
    i cant wait for this and the free wifi too,
    now if only upc would get around to sorting out the horizon any screen app for android, then id be a happy fcuker

In the email that I got, it said available this spring, so it may not yet be launched ..

UPC Home Phone Customers
    Horizon Phone App
    Save on your mobile bills by using your free UPC Home Phone pack minutes on your mobile.
    All you have to do is connect to Wi-Fi. Download the Horizon Phone App, with it select the person you want to call from your mobile contacts and chat away.
    The Horizon Phone App can also save you money on costly roaming calls when on holiday.
    To hear more about this, make sure to update your contact details in My UPC.*

Is sounds like this will be very useful, especially for frequent travelers:

UPC Phone is an innovative application that allows you to make and receive your fixed line calls directly on your mobile using WiFi or 3G.
    Imagine if you could make calls on your mobile but use your free minutes from your UPC Home phone. Think how much you could save on your mobile bill.
    Imagine if you could take your home phone with you anywhere? Your friends and family would call your fixed line and be able to reach you, no matter where you are! You will never have to miss calls again! You can also access your home voicemails anywhere you are. And all of these at your great-value UPC rates!
    Imagine if you could call your parents while enjoying your holidays abroad without worrying about how much it would cost you? Even if you’re travelling, UPC Phone will still work on any WiFi-connection! Also when abroad, you can continue enjoying great-value UPC fixed line rates. There are not additional roaming fees or charges!
    It’s so easy! You can make calls using your mobile contact list, you no longer need to type in the number or export contacts. There is no lengthy activation process, just log-in with your MyUPC account and start making calls!
    Imagine if not only you, but also your partner could enjoy this service? You can enjoy UPC Phone on multiple devices using the same phone number!

i wonder if my mobile phone will ring if my somebody is ringing my upc home number using this app, provided im on wifi of course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Faz6r wrote: »
    i wonder if my mobile phone will ring if my somebody is ringing my upc home number using this app, provided im on wifi of course

I think that is one of the features. There are other similar, make cheap calls using the internet/wifi/apps. I use a generic SIP based setup, but it is very dependant on the quality of the internet connection where you are, and not half as good as a landline nor even as good as mobile phone. Often the delay and echo can be frustrating, however I sucesfully used it on holidays in vietnam to ring home on the cheap.

• Advertisement

apope8 wrote: »
    Says my Galaxy S4 is not compatible

Edit: Actually looking at the supported device list, it seems pretty out of date! Supported Devices
    irish official version is out now, i installed it today
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.upc.horizon.phone&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dingoxh

Just downloaded it and it works great! Loving this ap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Installed it on an S2 and it connects to wifi, picks up local UPC phone number all fine but haven't used it yet for calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Installed fine on my Huawei G510. Haven't used it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Installed this yesterday on iphone. Just saw a missed call on it there now. I'm only on 3G though. I thought it only worked on wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

That's brilliant. Installed on S4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Actually I just did a test. If you're on 3G it still notifies you of calls but you can't answer it! Just gives message saying you need to be on wifi.

nialldinho wrote: »
    Actually I just did a test. If you're on 3G it still notifies you of calls but you can't answer it! Just gives message saying you need to be on wifi.
    what about 4g, i suspect same result but would be good to verify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Tells me that I can't install it 'in your country'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

is the wifi you are connecting to using a proxy?
    Normally these things have IP access lists for Irish IP address ranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Its workings well. Good sound quality. Although it did crash one when I was scrolling through the contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Is the contacts name meant to show up on incoming calls (if they're in your mobile's address book)?

Only their phone numbers are coming up for incoming calls on my phone. When I press the info button the numbers are shown & I get the option to add as a contact (which they already are) or to add the number to an existing contacts details.

Maybe it's something to do with the international prefix, as I have my contacts all added with the +353 but incoming calls from these people are just showing as 086, 087 etc :confused:

Is the contacts name meant to show up on incoming calls (if they're in your mobile's address book)?

Only their phone numbers are coming up for incoming calls on my phone. When I press the info button the numbers are shown & I get the option to add as a contact (which they already are) or to add the number to an existing contacts details.

Maybe it's something to do with the international prefix, as I have my contacts all added with the +353 but incoming calls from these people are just showing as 086, 087 etc :confused:
    try adding number to an existing contact and report back with your findings
    i cant wait to start using my app, but i have 20 months of a 24 month contract left so it wouldnt make sense to not use my mobile allowance however if im abroad and near wifi then i will be using it
    but once my contract is up, im going to switch to pay as you go with hopefully upc's mvno

- Incoming call alert on locked screen or with app minimised just shows caller's number no matter what format you have contact saved in your contact list.

- App doesn't recognise contact numbers in +353 or 00353 format.

- If you add contact's number in the format 08x1234567 or landline with geographic code prefix, incoming call contact's name will show if you have the app screen open, or when you open & look at events screen.

Anybody else notice their battery life being shortened? I just uninstalled as this is the only ring I installed recently.

There's no option to stop it running in the background , using an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Jimbojimbo

I'm on the iPhone app. There seems to be no way to stop incoming calls coming through. Quitting the app, or disabling horizon phone mode will not stop incoming calls .... even if I call my landline from my mobile, I get the incoming call back on my mobile!! Only way TK stop it I can find is to logout.

Also CLID us not working for me, even if the number is in my address book.

Finally, does anyone know whether the app will work on 3G at any stage?

Uninstalling it stopped my battery from draining. Looks like there is a bug in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Doesn't work on my Moto G :(

Get's as far as the phones call screen then immediately ends the call.

Venom wrote: »
    Doesn't work on my Moto G :(

Get's as far as the phones call screen then immediately ends the call.
    If you don't have the app open you have to answer the call by tapping (on active screen) or swiping (on locked screen) the black incoming call alert notification at the top of your screen. If you try to answer the call by tapping the app icon it will do as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If you don't have the app open you have to answer the call by tapping (on active screen) or swiping (on locked screen) the black incoming call alert notification at the top of your screen. If you try to answer the call by tapping the app icon it will do as you say.

No, I mean if I try and make a call from within the app, go to it's contacts screen and select the person I want to ring, it goes to the normal call screen for about 2 seconds then closes.

Advertisement