Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Free web design package wanted

Options
  • 07-12-2011 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi FOlks
    Just wondering if anyone could recommend an online site that practically builds a free website for you. I'm fairly technical but not a s/w designer. I could probably afford to spend 250euro for someone to do it but I'd like to do a decent job as looks make all the difference.
    Anyway, if anyone know of a half decent package that's free to use. There's a few that i know off but not sure whats good bad or indifferent.

thanks folks

Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

My advice. Wordpress - its free. You can easily set it up (most hosting companies have a one click install) Buy a theme from somewhere like foresttheme for $35- and away you go.
    There is a little bit of learning curve (not too much really) - but well worth the effort. There is a huge community to get help from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Thanks a lot for the advise. I don't mind a bit of a learning curve. I'm capable of going down a more difficult avenue but I feel that extra leaning curve is certainly not justified. I just want a semi-professional looking website that displays what I make. I cant really justify spending to much time on it.
    I'm sure its possible to tweak the off the shelf website . I wonder though, I want my domain to be xxxxx.ie. Is this possible with what you mentioned?

Thanks again
    Rich;)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Hi Rich, I usually send people to blacknight.com; you can get hosting off them and they'll provide you with a kind of app store that you can deploy wordpress (or a bunch of other stuff) from very easily.

I'm not affiliated with them, but I've used them quite a bit and I'm very happy with their service.

You'd have to pay for a domain and the hosting of course, but you get the 'free' website.

Thanks for that. So word press is my application that i need to use and tweak and than blacknight will be the web host or provider. Sounds good. Its good to get advise like this as I find I end up trawling for days looking for places and at the end of the day when they say they are free the sting comes in the end and you've got to use some crazy domain name as part of the web address , which i dislike .
    Forest theme, hmm , sounds good . I'll have to go look it up.

Thanks for the help and time. I'm an electronics head myself if you ever need any advise on matters, and a woodworker!!.:cool:

If its a dot ie domain - you need to be able to prove a right to use it.
    You can check out http://www.domainregistry.ie for information on what is required to get a dot ie domain.

• Advertisement

Hi There,
    Well I followed your advise, thanks. Got a theme from a theme forest ok for 35$ . So I wanted to register the website with a .ie name but seems a bit long winded in terms of not being able to do it without sending in a letter regarding my intent! Its just going to be a hobby site. Is this straightforward or what. What would you reccommend? God, I diddent know i was that out of touch with the way web hosting is gone. I want to get a pressence on the web with my own domain with the minimum of fuss!!!
    Cheers

Rich

You can get your name as a dot ie domain. But it has to be your full name or variation of your full name and not just your surname or first name.
    Just apply for it through one of the registars and they will look for details to confirm your eligibility - ie copy of passport etc. The price of a .ie address.

If you get a .com .net .org etc - you can get it straight away. To be honest if its just a habby site I'd go with a .com address (if its available).
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

does anybody on here,know if it is costly to have an upload feature for pictures and videos on a website.Also wondering about adding a search feature...

What exactly do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

is it more costly to run extras such as search features and upload features or just the basic website selling an idea.

• Advertisement

It's only more expensive if it uses up bandwidth, so a search feature shoudn't cost any more, but uploading and hosting video and images would end up costing more. You can simply get people to upload videos into youtube/vimeo, images onto some pic hosting site and upload the link into your site - so the content is hosted elsewhere and does not eat up your bandwidth.

Advertisement