Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old sagem chorus box.

Options
  • 24-02-2015 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi guys, this is my first time posting here so I hope this is right. My mother and father have had been with upc a very long time and have a chorus box its very basic no pause or record function on it and its driving them nuts. The thing is when we ring to enquire we are told that because we live where we live( Abbeyleix) that we cannot upgrade the box. I was just wondering if anyone else that doesn't live in a major town or city has this problem ?. The bill is nearly twice as dear as the sky bill that I pay and with none of the modern features. Before anyone say's they should change to sky I tried telling them that it Didn't work. sorry about my poor grammar and thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In the old Chorus MMDS franchise areas there was no PVR box option. The old Cablelink/ntl MMDS areas (Dublin, Waterford, Galway) did have one. The 2 companies used different transmission standards. That continued when all the MMDS licences came together under the UPC brand about 10 years ago.

MMDS licences expire in April 2016 and the frequencies will be sold off to the mobile companies later this year. So in about 12 months time they may have no other option for pay TV other than a move to Sky.

The non-pay TV option would be Saorview/Freesat.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to cable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

up till last september my parents in north cork had upc mmds customers for years and had a sagem box. They were paying €36 pm which was digital value and setanta pack.

They were out of contract and there was no discount coming from the loyalty department so cancelled and went to sky, they availed of the car phone warehouse deal posted here previously

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kooga wrote: »
    They were out of contract and there was no discount coming from the loyalty department so cancelled and went to sky,

No reason for them to offer a loyalty discount to retain MMDS subscribers now, the service is winding down anyway. I wonder at what point transmitter running and maintenance costs exceed subscriber revenue?

Are they still signing up MMDS subscribers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

The Cush wrote: »
    No reason for them to offer a loyalty discount to retain MMDS subscribers now, the service is winding down anyway. I wonder at what point transmitter running and maintenance costs exceed subscriber revenue?

Are they still signing up MMDS subscribers?

quiet through as my in laws have upc cable in cork city and because there is the future potential of them being phone and bb customers they got a very heavy discount to retain them which they took

digital value €33.49
    multi room €11

total €44.49

savings and discounts
    my upc discount €3.50
    half price for 12 months €22.35

total - €25.76

Total upc charge €18.73

not bad value

• Advertisement
Advertisement