Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hip Hop Moderator

Options
  • 04-02-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Please welcome Aquila to the team. He will be picking up the slack as makaveli has decided he has better things to do with his time :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Good luck man, so long makaveli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Should have picked someone who uses the forum, conor would be a good mod.

He obviously picked someone who has no personal beefs with anybody here, unlike you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Hugh Cream wrote: »

Appreciated, but I already probably spend too much time on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I for one welcome our new overlord.

I do question the sensibility of choosing someone who has made 14 posts on this forum in the last 2 years. I hope it won't be a case of them just modding. Hopefully there'll be a bit of input in the forum as well.

Anyway, best of luck Aquila. You'll need it. Things can get a little feisty in here at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Never heard of this person, but best of luck anyways.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Welcome to the club Aquila.

And can we give Makaveli a round of applause for his contribution as a mod here over the years. Hopefully we'll still see you around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Not likely, but cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    He obviously picked someone who has no personal beefs with anybody here, unlike you.
    I do question the sensibility of choosing someone who has made 14 posts on this forum in the last 2 years.
    Just in the interests of clarity, new moderator appointments aren't just made by me on a whim. The final veto for all appointments rests with the admins regardless of what I or any other moderator thinks. The bottom line is Aquila wouldn't have gotten the job if anyone felt he wasn't up to it so to him I say: Na zdrowie! ;).

As for a person's lack of visibility or whatever, I may have said this before on this forum but the point is the users make the forum by driving discussions, not the moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

agree with hugh here...

no offence to you Aquila but you have been a member here since 08, you don't appear to post here regularly at all?

seems very strange that you are giving the mod job here tbh, i taught someone more active here in the hip hop forum would of been more entitled to it.

i know i wouldn't be able for it for many reasons etc but there's a few straight up posters here who are active and come across quite level headed who would be suited to the job.

not stirring up but i feel someone who's a bit familiar with peoples backrounds here as posters etc would of been a better choice.

out of interest malice, why didnt you post a thread here encase someone more active in the hip hop forum could possibly put their name in the hat where we could vote or something etc?

you dont even post here that much in fairness malice so i think some one like boom bap or makaveli would of been better suited to make the decision...

fair play makaveli, good job. hope to still se you posting here the forums have been poppin the lat few months :D.

Boards has its process for making mods, it is not down to each category it is who would be interested and who would be able.

As Malice said, it was not not her/his decision anyway.

Boards has its process for making mods, it is not down to each category it is who would be interested and who would be able.

As Malice said, it was not not her/his decision anyway.

how can people be interested if they dont even know whats going on conor?

either way if thats the case its a bad system to decide mods.

If it was up to me i certainly would have picked one of the regulars, either conor or MUFC, just because you both seem to be the most level headed, open minded lads on the forum in my opinion, whoever made the decisions should have looked into it and found someone with a decent knowledge of this forum and hip hop itself.

In saying all that it will most definitely be a good thing to have some new blood on the forum, everybody brings something different anyway and i look forward to your contributions Aquila :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Aquila wrote: »
    I wont just be here in the capacity of a mod,i wanna post more often and keep up to date with new rappers,songs etc.i will bring here examples of non English hip-hop from Central/East European countries too.so we can sample different styles :)

That's good to hear. I look forward to your opinions. I heard a guy from Germany last year and I was very impressed. Couldn't understand a word but his flow was nice.

Also Psy de la Rime from France are class. Soprano from that group was on one of the BET cyphers last year. Pretty unreal achievement for a guy rapping as Francís.

I find French and German lend themselves quite nicely to the flow in the song. The artist could be rapping about making a cup of tea but it sounds great to me.
    Malice wrote: »
    Just in the interests of clarity, new moderator appointments aren't just made by me on a whim. The final veto for all appointments rests with the admins regardless of what I or any other moderator thinks. The bottom line is Aquila wouldn't have gotten the job if anyone felt he wasn't up to it so to him I say: Na zdrowie! ;).

As for a person's lack of visibility or whatever, I may have said this before on this forum but the point is the users make the forum by driving discussions, not the moderators.

I wasn't fully questioning the decision. I accept the rules are there and I don't know anything about the procedure for modding. As I was told in Honours Maths for the Leaving, if you don't understand the formula then just accept it, don't question it. I got my pass so there must be some merit in that statement :pac:.

You do not need to know what is "going on" to moderate. You need to stop posts that stray too off topic, or insults or anything illegal. As Paddy said someone new will be good.

Looking forward to hearing some eastern european rap, regardless if I don't understand a word of it.

what ever way its decided is irrelevant now, although maybe offering it to an existing member would have made sense, but then again, boards doesnt seem to work the way other forums do.
    we have a new mod, wish him all the best, hopefully he knows the difference between trolling and the users driving the discussions.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    If it was up to me i certainly would have picked one of the regulars, either conor or MUFC, just because you both seem to be the most level headed, open minded lads on the forum in my opinion, whoever made the decisions should have looked into it and found someone with a decent knowledge of this forum and hip hop itself.

In saying all that it will most definitely be a good thing to have some new blood on the forum, everybody brings something different anyway and i look forward to your contributions Aquila :)

great point, some new blood is what we need alright.

i wouldnt be able to mod because im too set in my own ways in terms of hip hop, i think conor is the same aswell you paddy ..

imagine the 3 of us trying to mod a young money v WU thread etc lol, i think theirs only one side we would be batting for :D.

who knows in the future that goes for everyone we all might become more mature/netural as posters, i think the next time something like this happens we should be made aware so if someone wants to throw there name in they can.:)

You do not need to know what is "going on" to moderate. You need to stop posts that stray too off topic, or insults or anything illegal. As Paddy said someone new will be good.

Looking forward to hearing some eastern european rap, regardless if I don't understand a word of it.

lol i meant to let us know they are looking for a new mod is all, like i said a heads up so someone who might of wanted to throw their hat in the ring could, would of been a fair and good idea.

• Advertisement

I do not see the day where I would say young money is better than WTC, but otherwise I agree.
    lol i meant to know to let us know they are looking for a new is all, like i said a heads up so someone who might of wanted to put throw their hat in the ring would of been a fair and good idea.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would want to be a mod, but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

There's only a handful of regular posters on this forum (I wouldn't even call myself a regular atm, tbh I'm more of a lurker :o) but imo bar Boom Bap none of them are fit to be a moderator of this forum. As previously mentioned, most posters here are set in their ways, and with so many conflicting opinions in hip-hop, I don't think that would be the best quality to have while trying to mod.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with being set in your ways, it's great to stand up for your opinions. I just think a mod of a forum like this one should have an open mind. Perhaps a non-regular who already has experience being a mod is the right way to go. Good luck Aquila :)

There's only a handful of regular posters on this forum (I wouldn't even call myself a regular atm, tbh I'm more of a lurker ) but imo bar Boom Bap none of them are fit to be a moderator of this forum. As previously mentioned, most posters here are set in their ways, and with so many conflicting opinions in hip-hop, I don't think that would be the best quality to have while trying to mod.

ye a pretty honest but neutral opinion, i think your dead right to be honest as regards to most of us.

but the way it was done is still a bit shady, but lets move on hopefully the next time malice might let people know whats going on.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

i taught someone more active here in the hip hop forum would of been more entitled to it.

There is no entitlement when it comes to appointing a new mod. Aquila has a proven track record as a good mod of several other forums, and if there were any concerns about his ability to mod this forum he would not have been offered the modship.
    but the way it was done is still a bit shady

There was nothing shady at all about the appointment. There is a proscribed process for appointing new mods and it was followed.

fjsanchez wrote: »
    There's only a handful of regular posters on this forum (I wouldn't even call myself a regular atm, tbh I'm more of a lurker :o) but imo bar Boom Bap none of them are fit to be a moderator of this forum. As previously mentioned, most posters here are set in their ways, and with so many conflicting opinions in hip-hop, I don't think that would be the best quality to have while trying to mod.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with being set in your ways, it's great to stand up for your opinions. I just think a mod of a forum like this one should have an open mind. Perhaps a non-regular who already has experience being a mod is the right way to go. Good luck Aquila :)
    nah not having that, i can name a few, its not rocket science, neither is everyone here mental cases, a few have common sense.
    like i said, conor being one, jimmy iovine and prettyboy being two more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I don't see the problem. Everyone should just give Aquila the chance to settle in rather than questioning his appointment. A mods job first and foremost is maintenance of the forum.

I didn't publicly make a thread to say I was stepping down, I gave Malice and Boom Bap the heads up and left it with Malice to bring it to the admins. Just because people are regular posters doesn't necessarily give them an entitlement to modding the forum. I don't see why it's an issue anyway, Aquila's lack of prior activity on the forum will most likely prove to be a positive not a negative. He won't have prejudice towards regular posters coming into the position.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on it. Best of luck Aquila, you've got a good guy as a co-mod in Boom Bap.

Zaph wrote: »
    There is no entitlement when it comes to appointing a new mod. Aquila has a proven track record as a good mod of several other forums, and if there were any concerns about his ability to mod this forum he would not have been offered the modship.

There was nothing shady at all about the appointment. There is a proscribed process for appointing new mods and it was followed.

fair enough i see where your coming from alright but i was just saying there's one or two here who would possibly make good mods and might have liked to be given the chance is all.

i mean how otherwise how can normal regular posters here ever be given the chance if we dont know whats going on?

whatever about the aquila appointment, i wish him the best of luck.. im just on about for future situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think it's better to have someone who is relatively neutral. A fresh pair of eyes and ears could bring a new freshness to the goings on here with regards to contributions and enforcing law and order.

• Advertisement

im not starting anything or being smart but aquila you never post here, an existing member should of got the mod job or a more regular poster. It was a joke of an appointment in fairness, nothing to do with your modding skills its just more so to do with the fact your never active here :)

Advertisement