Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Art of Booking Cheap Flights

Options
  • 28-01-2009 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Looking to head to Portugal the end of July for two weeks, its peak season

We all know that the price of flights constantly deviates, is there a science to booking the best deal or is it just pot luck?

Any advice or tips? paying 200-300 euros return is just too expensive:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For starters, I'd say book as early as possible. As seats on the plane fill, tickets get more expensive (with the last few seats paying full whack).

If flying from Shannon/Cork/Dublin, check the airport timetables to see what other airlines go to your destination city. Shannon / Cork / Dublin

Finally, you could try asking on the Travel and Holidays forum here on Boards.

Hope that helps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

it your looking at ryanair then you want to be booking around three months in advance because thats usually how long ryanair deals are for. You have to be flexible as to when you fly aswell (midweek flights probably at 7 in the morning)

for package holidays january is usually the best time to book but in the current economic climate you could probably get good deals throughout the year

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My advice is to wait until the 2nd week in July and then wander into a travel agent and book a late holiday i.e one that somebody recently cancelled.

Do not go to Budget travel though because they charge you a late booking fee for a holiday they are selling cheaply because somebody cancelled it. I cannot believe people are stupid enough to pay them this stealth charge but hey.........................:rolleyes:

Executive travel on Roches St or whatever they are called now are good for these things.

If its just the seat on the plane you need then booking early is generally the only way unless you drive using landbridge. €69 return for a car + 2 adults to the UK and £49 from southampton to Cherbourg then a long long drive after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

thanks lads, very helpful:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

Also, to help you put together the cheapest flight and hotel options, use http://www.skyscanner.net to find your flights. Excellent website that queries every airline.

And for your hotel, use Tripadvisor's booking system. It'll open all the relevant hotel booking websites for you so you can quickly compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

also if your flying with ryanair often, then check out the below link. Guy I work with did it and it works.

http://bargainsireland.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/avoid-the-credit-card-charge-when-booking-with-ryanair/

Advertisement