Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport

Options
  • 29-01-2013 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

Spent an entertaining few minutes changing a wheel under the flightpath in a gale. Watched three Aer Lingus (or was it three attempts by the same plane?) and a Ryanair jet landing crab-wise to the wind, jeez those guys earn their money! I'd say they needed clean underwear!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Cool.... I'd love to be watching them come in today, in Kerry the wind is crazy,,!!,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

At over 450' above sea level Cork is a great place to watch aircraft landing in a crosswind. The best viewing IMOP is the Ballygarvan/Kinsale end, runway 35 I think.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

This gives a flavour of what it looks like

http://www.flickr.com/photos/despod/339705520/in/photostream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

roundymac wrote: »
    At over 450' above sea level Cork is a great place to watch aircraft landing in a crosswind. The best viewing IMOP is the Ballygarvan/Kinsale end, runway 35 I think.

I was in the car park at CUH and the planes were coming in that direction rather than landing from the Kinsale end, they were pretty low and "crabbing" all the way , you could actaully see the rudder over to one side!...i'm not sure of the Timetable but three Aer Lingus flights in 15 minutes leads me to suspect the same plane went around for a second go at least twice. The following FR flight was struggling too but we didn't see him agian so I guess he made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Cork should have been closed years ago and a new airport constructed in the Little Island-Youghal axis. Railway line right there, N25 right there, convenient for the N8, nice and flat and not cocked up on the top of a hill where it's hard to install ILS and extending 07/25 requires nightmarish expense to deal with the local topography.

• Advertisement

Cork Airport is ideal on top of hill like that...not so far down for the plane to go, thus saving fuel and also great for emergency landings as it's closer to the plane , less far for it to fall....simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Talk to the hand

corktina wrote: »
    Cork Airport is ideal on top of hill like that...not so far down for the plane to go, thus saving fuel and also great for emergency landings as it's closer to the plane , less far for it to fall....simples

Simple as in stupid?

Simple as in stupid?

who? you or me? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Talk to the hand

corktina wrote: »

who? you or me? :D
    In many respects we are cut from the same cloth!

you mean we are both half-cut?

• Advertisement
Advertisement