Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train Carriages Not Being Used

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Victor wrote: »
    Moving the Entreprise would mean you would also have to move the 0709 Pearse-Drogheda the 0630 from Greystones that feed the Enterprise.

How much feed do these services provide is it substantial?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I don't know.

I presume the existing Enterprise passengers get to Connnolly somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Freudian? :)

No ....mines a Guinness thanks. Never heard of Freudian beer. Is it Belgian :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Quite a bit actually this train also originates as the 5:45 ex Dundalk so that would need changing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

But which is cheaper towing the extra vehicle (which risked being scrapped anyway) or the fuel and wear and tear on the engines?

Wear and tear is only one issue. Maintenance schedules are based around running hours, so an engine that's providing auxiliary power only and probably only a fraction of the generator's 438 KW max output is accruing hours unnecessarily and at full engine speed to boot. The old tried and tested Genny van is clearly a more fundamentally sound option from an engineering point of view. Whether cheaper or not I don't know but reliabilty is surely a priority over marginal increased fuel costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I know the 22000s have a Toshiba climate control system. I was just wondering, is that using heat pumps (i.e. the Air Con in reverse) to heat the coaches or is it using electric elements?

It always struck me as odd that we don't recover the heat from the engines and use it to assist heating the coaches. It would be quite feasable to use water cooling in the engines and just have hoses coupled between the coaches that passed through the A/C heat pumps and recovered the heat from the warm water. Even if it only heated one or two coaches, it would be a significant saving in CO2 output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

dermo88 wrote: »
    No ....mines a Guinness thanks. Never heard of Freudian beer. Is it Belgian :)

You slip it solely ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I couldn't see anything wrong with an over order on something that is reliable and widely used across the country such as the 20,000's. Its a pity IR didn't do the same with the 8100's instead of ending up with those useless Spanish 8200's.

It would be a pity to see any cannibalization of these surplus trains for parts if they are being mothballed. It happened before with the Irish Army when they ordered Sanglas Motorcycles and ended up stripping down new bikes to keep existing ones going after parts dried up. I also prefer the 22,000's to the MK4's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If there was an intermediate order of 8100s it should have been of intermediate trailers to avoid loss of seating/standing for unneeded cabs on sets rostered at peak.

As for the DMUs - you don't want them too light otherwise they'd never push through a bit of snow or get traction in leaf season I would think.

Comparison to SBB might be unfair in one other bit - how much of the EU rail directives has Switzerland signed on to? Ireland gets derogations here and there but ultimately has little option but to implement even the Railway Packages aren't exactly drafted with a small island in mind.

Advertisement