Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fondue?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 12:19pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've always wanted to try cheese fondue. A friend is moving into a new house and i think it would be a nice present, I want to buy everything I need and arrive and make fondue. Has anyone done this and can yuo tell me what else I need?

I found this Fondue set in Argos: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2661416/Trail/searchtext%3EFONDUE+.htm - which looks good. But I think I need fuel for it and not sure what to buy.

What cheese is recommended and what else do you have to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

First thing to do is to decide on a recipe for your fondue. This can be a single cheese or a mixture of cheeses (eg, Gruyeres & Vacherin for a môité-môité), usually with some white wine or schnapps, maybe also garlic. Budget for probably 500g per person. You need also to think what you will serve it with - bread or potatoes. Maybe also have some pickled gherkins or pickled onions on the side. They help to cut through the fat.

Be sure that as soon as you bring the prepared fondue to the table & place the pot on the warmer that people start on it straight away. The trick is to try to keep the cheese moving in the pot. Diners do this by constantly stirring with the bread/cheese on their forks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

One top tip, Don't boil the cheese, it'll split and go grainy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What's the etiquette with regards to double dipping when it comes to sharing?

Dipping the same piece of bread or potato twice is strictly verboten.

Dipping the same piece of bread or potato twice is strictly verboten.
    Good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Deub

If you really like cheese, you should do a mixture. The real one is 500g of Beaufort, 500g of comté and 400g of tome de savoie (it is for 4 people). It is expensive but.... That's heaven

M&S do these baked cheese dips that come in these little Tapas clay dishes. They come in different flavours and they are beautiful. Different types of cheeses with the likes of Worcester sauce and Ale or cider are added the beef up the flavour. You also get to keep the Tapas dishes!

I'd imagine you could do something similar with Fondue?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

I love this one.I usually use a spicy relish...

Ballymaloe Cheese Fondue

Myrtle Allen devised this Cheese Fondue recipe made from Irish Cheddar cheese. It's a great favourite at Ballymaloe and even though it's a meal in itself it may be made in minutes and is loved by adults and children alike. A fondue set is obviously an advantage but not essential.

Serves 2
    2 tablesp. white wine
    2 small cloves of garlic, crushed
    2 teasp. Ballymaloe Tomato Relish or any tomato chutney
    2 teasp. freshly chopped parsley
    6 ozs (170g) grated mature Cheddar cheese
    Crusty white bread
    Put the white wine and the rest of the ingredients into a small saucepan or fondue pot and stir. Just before serving put over a low heat until the cheese melts and begins to bubble. Put the pot over the fondue stove and serve immediately with fresh French bread or cubes of ordinary white bread crisped up in a hot oven.

170g between 2 people? :eek:

The Swiss standard is 500g per person for fondue or raclette. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

500g per person?! :eek: That's more like a recipe for a heart attack! The cheese alone would have your daily caloric requirement, never mind the amount of fat in it :eek:. Are you sure that's correct?

• Advertisement

I have been to many a fondue & raclette evening. Trust me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

Opps sorry I don't ever follow the measurements and I always make it for a large group not just two people....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

While we're talking about cheese, Mont D'or is in season and is unreal when baked. Still can't see straight after having some last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Heston has his own take on fondue ( wouldn't you know )

( Can't find a playable video of it )

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-cook-like-heston/articles/all/cheese-fondue-recipe

Advertisement