Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soup - does it freeze well ? what to freeze it in?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

My kid doesn't eat much veg and ive to learn how to cook soup.

Does it freeze well? For how long is it good for?

Been having a quick look on an iPhone but need to look at this on a bigger screen
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/soup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

OH makes and freezes soup all the time and never seems to be a problem. If there is fresh cream in the recipe this is never added until the after it's been thawed to reheat. She uses any sort of container, ice cream tubs, even silicon loaf tins - once it's frozen it's turned out of the loaf tin and put into a freezer bag. It makes sense to only freeze it in quantities you'll use so as not to be thawing too much at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

OH makes and freezes soup all the time and never seems to be a problem. If there is fresh cream in the recipe this is never added until the after it's been thawed to reheat. She uses any sort of container, ice cream tubs, even silicon loaf tins - once it's frozen it's turned out of the loaf tin and put into a freezer bag. It makes sense to only freeze it in quantities you'll use so as not to be thawing too much at a time.

Thanks.

silicon loaf tins > Clever. Don't like cream so will stay away from those recopies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Just put it straight into freezer bags and you put into the little spaces between other things in the freezer that way it doesnt take up any room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I put soup into ice cube trays until they freeze and then pop the cubes into a freezer bag.
    It makes it easier to defrost whatever amount suits us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

That's a lot of ice cubes ! Clever though

I keep take away plastic trays, that might do as well.

Going to need a chest freezer soon when my recipes get up speed and are fit for consumption and freezer worthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I find the freezer bags especially for soups and sauces great. Usually pick them up in Aldi as a weekly offer thing. If you use normal freezer bags, make sure to leave the bag in a bowl while it defrosts because some of them leak (add any liquid that leaks into the soup when you're heating it through). If you're worried about freezer space you can make the soup thicker than you want it (i.e. use less water when making up stock/reduce it a bit less) and add water when you're reheating it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There are lots of recipes and tips in the Souper Soup Thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I make the brown bread, herself makes all manner of soups.

I slice the brown bread and freeze it in bags of two slices, herself puts servings of soup into freezer bags.

Going to work in the morning, I take a portion of frozen soup and a portion of frozen brown bread with me for lunch. Healthy and tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I use an old Cully & Sully soup container lined with a freezer bag to portion it out - one container = one portion.

Put bag in container, fill to about half inch below rim with soup, tie bag, remove from container, label, put in freezer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Just put it straight into freezer bags and you put into the little spaces between other things in the freezer that way it doesnt take up any room.

Freezer bags can get a bit messy when defrosting liquids..

I use chinese take away boxes....they stack well in the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

katydid wrote: »
    Freezer bags can get a bit messy when defrosting liquids..

I use chinese take away boxes....they stack well in the freezer.

Put it in a bowl and defrost it no big deal takes up a lot leas room than take away boxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Put it in a bowl and defrost it no big deal takes up a lot leas room than take away boxes.

Mmm, suppose.... Think I'll stick to my chinese boxes..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I second the Chinese boxes... Perfect portions, easily stacked and handy to stick in micro when needs be!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

Aldi ziplock freezer bags. Pour in one portion, lie flat in freezer - uses no room and doesn't leak (yet anyway) when defrosting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I use old butter containers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I use the Glad double Ziplock bags for freezing everything, Chilli, Stew, Ragu, Soups. They give extra protection against leaks and they freeze in no time once you lay them flat.

Defrosting is easy, just put the bag in a pot/bowl and pour hot (preferably boiling) water over it and leave for about 10-15mins.

I've never had a problem freezing soup, in fact, I had soup this evening that was gorgeous. I would always make more soup than I need so freezing the leftovers is always a given. Economy of scale always makes it a really cheap option too, and a great way to use up leftovers.

Advertisement