Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with pork hock meat?

Options
  • 02-11-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

So, feel like a bit of a plank for this, but was in a butchers yesterday (not my usual) and noticed that they had what I assumed were ham hocks on sale for less than my local. Bought 2 and was chuffed with meself.

Anyways, I boiled them up this morning the way I have done many times before and it turns out they are just plain ol' pork :o The meat is tender and juicy, but to say they are bland would be an understatement.

Any ideas what I could do with the meat? I'd be happy enough to just get some tasty sambos for the week out of it at this stage.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually boil pork ribs before barbecuing or roasting them, so maybe put a nice barbecue style sauce on the hocks and roast them for half an hour or so until they're nice and sticky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

That's a great idea. The meat has already been taken off the bone though. I wonder if just shredding it up, mixing it with some homemade BBQ sauce and throwing it the oven for a while would be of any use? Poor mans pulled pork maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That sounds great, and it'll probably be just as nice as pulled pork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Maybe a terrine or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Try get ham hocks in future if you're not right now. Will be cured already and have loads of flavour.
    Because the meat is so gelantinous you could easily make a simple terrine by shredding the meat and mixing with a little chopped tarragon, capers and a splash of chardonnay vinegar. Spread on clingfilm, roll it out in a log shape tightly wrapped and set in the fridge overnight. Slice it and put on crusty sourdough ideally topped with cheese and put under the grill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Do a google for Schweineshaxe recipes. It is really popular in Germany, Switzerland & Austria, & there should be plenty of recipes in English. My favourite way is grilled & served with julienned horseradish & a weissbeir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I went with my 'poor man's pulled pork' idea.

Made a simple BBQ sauce from onions, garlic, brown sugar, paprika, Worcester sauce and ketchup in a pan. Threw that in a baking dish and mixed it up with the shredded meat. Covered with foil and put it in the oven for about 30mins.

It was delicious tbh. The hocks only cost €4 for two, so this could end up being a cheapo pulled pork recipe to have in me back pocket.

Advertisement