Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Shooting Clubs

Options
  • 26-10-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

This thread is about college rifle and clay pigeon club. The clubs are only open to students of their respected colleges. The purpose of this thread is try and encourage more college clubs to set up(especially outside of dublin) and to raise the profile to shooters who may not know about these clubs

Trinity rifle club - DURC
    http://www.durifleclub.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/durifleclub
    College range(air and .22 rifle)

UCD Rifle Club
    http://www.ucd.ie/rifle/
    https://www.facebook.com/ucdrifle
    College range(air rifle)

DCU Clay target Club
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/DCU-Clay-Target-Shooting-Club/122919644481097
    Balheary shooting grounds

DIT Rifle club
    https://www.facebook.com/DITRifle
    Also does a bit of clay shooting
    Balheary shooting grounds

If there is an attempt to set up a college club please post the details here.
    I will try and give advice as much as i can as i recently set up DIT Rifle club

It would be great to try and increase the numbers of clubs. You dont need to have your own range or firearms. College will usually subsisted trips and make them very affordable to students by going to some of the more commercial ranges.

i would like to encourage people who may have experiences and in college not to just shoot on in a club of their own, but to try and set up college clubs and expand the numbers of shooters .
    even if you can only get out once a month to a range, as the interest will grow , the more you can get out

most people in college will try to sign up at freshers week , but most colleges usually do another mini week like this around February.
    If you drop into sports offices in your college they will usually give you their requirements in starting a new club. A few posters here and there around the college will spark interest . You would be surprised about the number of students who would have their own firearm for hunting or would be in the army reserves.

In England for example Clay pigeon shooting clubs are in most medium to large colleges with over 300+ people competing at intervarsity

The interest from students is there. it Just it takes 1 person to set it up. And the members who join will continue it on.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

How often do intervaristy competitions happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Looks like ill be goin to DIT UCD or DCU next year then!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Or TCD! Intervarsities are typically annual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

How often do intervaristy competitions happen?
    There are clay pigeon intervarisys hosted by dcu and air rilfe intervarsiys hosted usually by trinity. Usually march or april

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

DCU Clay Target Club are up and running a few years with a steady increase in interest the last couple of years!

• Advertisement

cw67irl wrote: »
    DCU Clay Target Club are up and running a few years with a steady increase in interest the last couple of years!
    Do you know how many dcu brought in this year?
    I heard trinity got 600 , DIT has over 250 now. Big increase from about 50 this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bpb101 wrote: »
    Tair rilfe intervarsiys hosted usually by trinity.

Um, TCD hasn't hosted the Intervarsities in a really long time (the last time was before I started shooting IIRC, which would put it at least twenty years ago). They're usually shot in WTSC, though we did have to hold them in UCD a few years back during the foot and mouth scare (WTSC is near a few farms).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

REALLY nice to see DIT and DCU taking off btw. Nicely done lads.

Sparks wrote: »
    Um, TCD hasn't hosted the Intervarsities in a really long time (the last time was before I started shooting IIRC, which would put it at least twenty years ago). They're usually shot in WTSC, though we did have to hold them in UCD a few years back during the foot and mouth scare (WTSC is near a few farms).
    I thought i saw it on student sport ireland last year that it said TCD was hosting it , must have been a mistype on their part :pac:
    edit :i know there shot in wtsc, by hosted i mean organized

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Nice to see a few more colleges setting up some clubs, and hopefully a few more will be able to set up clubs in the not-too-distant future.
    bpb101 wrote: »
    This thread is about college rifle and clay pigeon club. The clubs are only open to students of their respected colleges..

I know DURC and UCDRC allow alumni and staff members join, assuming the former are also members of the relevant sports authority. If this was the case for all clubs, it could help keep more people in the sport, although it inevitably wanes as people move away or settle down with families.

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    Nice to see a few more colleges setting up some clubs, and hopefully a few more will be able to set up clubs in the not-too-distant future.

I know DURC and UCDRC allow alumni and staff members join, assuming the former are also members of the relevant sports authority. If this was the case for all clubs, it could help keep more people in the sport, although it inevitably wanes as people move away or settle down with families.

Well neither dcu or Dit have their own range. So you would be joining as to be able to join students to go to a commerical range . It would be just easier to go to the range as you please.

It be great if a few clubs would spring up espically on the west and south
    There a few clay clubs espcially who advertise the stag party part of the market . I'm sure most of them would love the idea of repeate regular business
    If Galway cork and limerick would set something up it would be a great boost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

As far as I remember, there's a uni rifle club in Scotland which doesn't have its own range but has come to an arrangement with a local club so they can use it in the evenings for club training, etc. They also stole heir great there, too. I can't remember what the rule is re membership for alumni or staff, but it does show that arrangements can be made with clubs and ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Downwind

Its an oldish threat but I know one of the lecturers in LIT is a crack shot and is HCAP stalker trained and often talked about getting something up and running down here if you want to get in touch with him PM me.

Downwind wrote: »
    Its an oldish threat but I know one of the lecturers in LIT is a crack shot and is HCAP stalker trained and often talked about getting something up and running down here if you want to get in touch with him PM me.
    Outside students of the college wouldn't be able to set up clubs in other colleges unfortunately. Also if hes a rifle man , AFAIK its a bit of a black spot.
    The only rifle shooting is a a air rifle range in lazydog but i dont think that is real issf air rifles more casual . There is a few clay grounds i think around there but most people are either rifle or clays and there isent much of a cross over.

Some colleges AFAIK require a member of staff to oversee the story, if you yourself and your lecturer set one up it would be a great boost as it would be the first shooting college club outside of the capital. I would be more than happy to help as much as i can and of course more then welcome to do intervarsitys. Or even got a few people together and even done something every few weeks. Clays would probable be the easiest thing to do given your location.

DCU will prob be hosting clay intervarsitys this year again, (i think they have a members on boards) and trinity host the air rifle one in co.meath.
    Dit,thats where im from , only do the clays intervarsitys atm as we have no access to the issf disciplines that ucd and durc (trinity do)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

I'm the PRO for DCU Clay Club :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

UL would be a good candidate for this as they have a lot of space available could easily setup a clay and air rifle club down there.

nastros wrote: »
    UL would be a good candidate for this as they have a lot of space available could easily setup a clay and air rifle club down there.
    Limerick would be a great place to set up one. Dont know about clays range , due to the a good clear space around , but a quick google turned up a clay range , just north of the town. Dont know anything about them but ...
    http://www.doonassclaypigeonclub.com/Contact_us.html

Advertisement