Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine Marten

Options
  • 15-03-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Saw a Pine Marten yesterday while cycling in Cavan. I was cycling on a country lane and approching a thicket of trees on my left and heard a rustling. Looked over and was amazed to this beautiful creature, quite an impressive size. Got a good look at it before it disappeared into some bushes.

Noticed after seeing the Marten that there were some frogs croaking in the ditch across the lane. Think these breeding frogs were why the Marten was out feeding during the day. Very lucky to see it I know as they are very very difficult to see normally and almost entirely nocturnal. Chuffed I am! (Bet Derek Mooney has never seen one ;)).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

so happy you saw one they are beautiful creatures there are a good few round east mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

Quick question , we live on a mail car road across a bog so the land at the back of our house is a total bog with the usual level of tree cover at the back of our house, anyway have always been leaving a block of wood on top of my wheelie bin in case it opens and the birds get at it, long story short was at my back window the other night doing the dishes when lo an behold I see what I thought was a mink getting into the bin, laid out a mink trap for it the next day in the hope of catching and humanely killing it, however just there an hour ago in broad daylight what appeared to be a pine martin hopped into the bin right in front of me while I was making the tea (it stayed away from the trap which I had left hanging out of the bin and went straight for the inside) , it was brown and very bushy, looking up online that appears to suggest a pine martin but not a pine martin's natural behaviour so basically in a long round about way I am asking are all Minks in Ireland Black , and what is the best way to deal with the pine martin or is there any need to do anything with a pine martin (we will be looking after a small Jack Russell for two weeks for friends soon)?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

why would you want to do anything to the pinemarten ?

Morganna wrote: »
    why would you want to do anything to the pinemarten ?

Don't know anything about the things as I thought would have been pretty clear in my post, is there any benefit in moving it to woodland obviously I would have no intention of harming the animal as its beautiful but as my post says we will be looking after a Jack Russell for two weeks and I would hate anything to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

dromdrom wrote: »
    Don't know anything about the things as I thought would have been pretty clear in my post, is there any benefit in moving it to woodland obviously I would have no intention of harming the animal as its beautiful but as my post says we will be looking after a Jack Russell for two weeks and I would hate anything to happen.

The Pine Marten is well able to look after itself and it can easily keep clear of a Jack russel.

Jack Russel v Pine Marten in arace would be no contest and yes that behaviour is cnot that unusual, they are very adaptable and i have observed them on bogs going through dumped fridges scavenging for old traces of food i even have a photo somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Trees and bog, sounds like pine marten habitat. You would notice the white chest on a marten.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Well, not really white, in fairness, more lovely deep yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Connacht wrote: »
    Well, not really white, in fairness, more lovely deep yellow.

They can have colour variations i saw a dead one once and the yellow was a deep Salmon colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The pine marten we shared a cottage with for some years would often be out during the day. She was dive-bombed for the food in her mouth by magpies once as she returned to her young.

Suspect the OP is more concerned re the safety of the dog...

Was actually concerned for the safety of the animal. It is a beautiful creature but with the amount of dogs that do be around our house and the fact that he was at the bins all the time we trapped and moved the animal to a more suitable habitat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I wouldn't worry about the Pine Marten. He is well able to cope with the neighbourhood dogs!

The 1976 Wildlife act declares that a licence is required to trap protected species (including Pime Marten) unless a licence is granted by the Minister for educational scientific or other purposes as specified in the licence, Section 23(6). So, be careful what you admit to. ;)

In moving this Pine Marten did you consider that Young Pine Martens (kits) are born about late March to early April, so this animal may have a mate nearby reliant on it. Or that you have removed a pregnant female to an area she is unfamiliar with?

Advertisement