Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hacking

• 25-10-2014 6:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Apparently there are little or no real laws in Ireland regarding hacking.

I recently took down a number of websites for test purposes for minimal periods of time to see the consequences and to test my own ability but found zero retaliation or issues relating to said disruptions.

Does irish law have specific regulations regarding hacking/disruptive intent involving digital content or do we ignore in most cases?

Opinions and legal interpretations welcome!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ardinn wrote: »

I recently took down a number of websites for test purposes for minimal periods of time to see the consequences and to test my own ability but found zero retaliation or issues relating to said disruptions.

Does irish law have specific regulations regarding hacking/disruptive intent involving digital content or do we ignore in most cases?

Just so you know, people are just going to focus on the bolded bit. Everything else you said will be ignored. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Well hopefully you pointing it out will get most people past that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I recently took down a number of websites for test purposes for minimal periods of time to see the consequences and to test my own ability

Why would you do this? What is wrong with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Deciding to not pay your hosting bills isn't hacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,738 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I recently had George Bush in a headlock.

Just as a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Openly admitting you hacked websites on the surface web. Amateur mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Were these like Amazon, RTE, Boards, something people might notice, or My-Blog-by-Rabbit-Bunny-Kins.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I think the max jail time for hacking is 5 years or something small like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

We have a few alright, first one off the top of my head -
    9.—(1) A person who dishonestly, whether within or outside the State, operates or causes to be operated a computer within the State with the intention of making a gain for himself or herself or another, or of causing loss to another, is guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001, Section 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,738 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

. Before prison

() After prison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,452 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wouldn't say he'd hack if he had Ebola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Thought this was gonna be a Hurling thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

OP you sound a bit like an old teacher I had who claimed to have a foolproof horseracing system but declined to use it as he didn't want to damage the gambling industry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I call BS on this.

Just ask the scissor sisters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

No you didn't.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My-Blog-by-Rabbit-Bunny-Kins.ie?

OP is at it again. That sites has gone down/not loading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Try hacking American military or govt depts, extradition is your only man then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

what a nasty minded & spiteful thing to do, (if you really did it)

I genuinely don't understand that destructive mentality when you have a talent for something

Why don't you use your abilities to help people who don't have that talent instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Try hacking American military or govt depts, extradition is your only man then :)

Yep the real test. Start a thread when were 12 hours from thermo-nuclear meltdown. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

mike_ie wrote: »
    No you didn't.

Should be easy enough to test, if we were to give you a website address one of us owned then could you take it down at a set time of day? I have my doubts... :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

No you didn't.

He did. He is zero cool the legendary hacker who crashed fifteen hundred and seven computers in one day.

He did. He is zero cool the legendary hacker who crashed fifteen hundred and seven computers in one day.

Not unless he was driving the delivery truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

I recently took down a number of websites for test purposes for minimal periods of time to see the consequences and to test my own ability

Just to ascertain the truthfulness of your claim, can we ask the method you employed.
    Not step-by-step instructions, just a brief description So as not to assist copycat wannabe hacking attempts.

But also not so vague as I EXPLOITED A KNOWN VULNERABILITY

Maybe then we will provide legal opinions etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Well boards is still up and running... I'm calling bull**** until I get a 404 here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Well boards is still up and running... I'm calling bull**** until I get a 404 here...

I'll 404 you if I have to go do something useful with my day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I think someone just watched The Net for the 1st time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Chorcai wrote: »
    I think someone just watched The Net for the 1st time

Did you enjoy it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Finally Neo has arrived and is preparing to save us all from the Matrix
    lanos wrote: »
    Just to ascertain the truthfulness of your claim, can we ask the method you employed.
    Not step-by-step instructions, just a brief description So as not to assist copycat wannabe hacking attempts.

But also not so vague as I EXPLOITED A KNOWN VULNERABILITY

Maybe then we will provide legal opinions etc

Give him time man, thats a lot of stuff to google and reword, any bets any reply he gives includes the words "DDOS" or "SQL injections"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Chunners wrote: »

Give him time man, thats a lot of stuff to google and reword, any bets any reply he gives includes the words "DDOS" or "SQL injections"

One wrong button press though. . .

http://comeadwithus.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/boom.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Op are you single ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Hacking implies he gained access to the server. Denial of service isn't hacking.

Also guessing a password isn't hacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

He probably created a GUI using visual basic to track the IP on his 12 pipe computer

He probably created a GUI using visual basic to track the IP on his 12 pipe computer

Whoa slow down there hoss, you lost him after "created", what he probably did was find the "backdoor" that EVERYONE knows exists on all protected servers and was presented with a Dos interface saying "Enter Password" so he randomly typed in numbers and letters, obviously his first few tries came up "ACCESS DENIED!" but any hacker worth his salt (which the op obviously is) can get in that way in 5 or 6 tries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Alright, if you really are a hacker then hack into my brain and change the pixels on the kettle so it meows quotes from Hamlet to me in an Australian bark, literally in a metaphorical sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Stress testing is not considered hacking nor is DDOS. While there may not be many criminal laws in Ireland regarding cyber crimes you can sure as hell be sued in civil court for disruption of business and lost revenue.

Also to validate the op's claim about taking down it is incredibly easy to force a website down that does not have a massive bandwidth connection to the net or a hosting provider that will null route at the first signs of an attack.

Stress testing is not considered hacking nor is DDOS. While there may not be many criminal laws in Ireland regarding cyber crimes you can sure as hell be sued in civil court for disruption of business and lost revenue.

Also to validate the op's claim about taking down it is incredibly easy to force a website down that does not have a massive bandwidth connection to the net or a hosting provider that will null route at the first signs of an attack.

Easier than skinning a roo for a night on the Barbie mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Ben Horne

Unless you can hack the Gibson, not listening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Laws are well and good, but make no mistake....if you piss off enough people, or a few people enough, the it really doesn't matter.

There are enough laws that are generic enough that they'll find a way to twist it around. And even if you aren't guilty of the crime, they can sure ruin your life while they put your through the legal system for years or decades.

Hacking by itself doesn't really get you much. Let's say you can compromise some high profile site and get 100,000 credit card details. Well, that's not going to pay your rent. But if you use the credit cards, it's still illegal, even if the hacking isn't (but it probably is). Existing laws will prevent you from benefiting from your cybercrimes anyway.

And even if something isn't criminal, that doesn't mean you can't be sued or held accountable for damages as the result of your actions. If you take a website down, you'd be liable for damages, which could range from virtually nothing to millions of euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Are you still bound for da reload, Tom da Box?

(Oooooh, oldschool reference)

In fairness - doing the equivalent in any other field would get him a lot of praise. It always seemed like computer enthusiasts get a bad rap.

If someone had an interest in chemistry, started reading some books on chemistry, got some chemicals, and reproduced some fairly basic experiments in their kitchen, I don't think anyone would make fun of him for being a 'chemistry-kiddie who doesn't know what he's doing'.

Even worse, in a lot of cases, we take these people (usually young kids) and treat them like criminals for having an interest, and actively trying to learn, instead of encouraging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

Go see a shrink to help you deal with your narcissism.

UCDVet wrote: »
    In fairness - doing the equivalent in any other field would get him a lot of praise. It always seemed like computer enthusiasts get a bad rap.

If someone had an interest in chemistry, started reading some books on chemistry, got some chemicals, and reproduced some fairly basic experiments in their kitchen, I don't think anyone would make fun of him for being a 'chemistry-kiddie who doesn't know what he's doing'.

Even worse, in a lot of cases, we take these people (usually young kids) and treat them like criminals for having an interest, and actively trying to learn, instead of encouraging them.

In all fairness encouraging someone by calling them a "chemistry-kiddie" because they reproduced some fairly basic experiments in their kitchen is not the same as encouraging someone as a computer enthusiast because they hacked some websites, the equivalent there would be praising someone as a future biologist because they dissected the neighbors dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

rarnes1 wrote: »
    . Before prison

() After prison

Penetration Testing...

*grabs coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Are you from Sligo by any chance, do you know Scottish Denis?

Edit: Just seen in your post that you are from Carlow.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CentimoSal

real hacking is hacking the world around you - not just some tiny shared hosting account in a*massive* data center that can survive multi-pronged DDOS attacks from whole continents

In all fairness encouraging someone by calling them a "chemistry-kiddie" because they reproduced some fairly basic experiments in their kitchen is not the same as encouraging someone as a computer enthusiast because they hacked some websites, the equivalent there would be praising someone as a future biologist because they dissected the neighbors dog

I'd disagree.

Hacking doesn't destroy anything. It could destroy data, but most 'hacking' done by inexperienced people isn't malicious. It's more along the lines of, 'So wait, if SQL injection works like that, then I could just go to a website and enter this into a textbox, and see if it works? Whoa, cool....I wanna try'. Particularly if they are making a gui in VB.

Dissecting the neighbors dog requires the dog to be killed first. You can't 'undead' a dog and you can never replace a pet. Hacking a website, without malicious intent, is more like trespassing onto the neighbour's property to play with it's dog because you really like dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes it does. Offenses relating to information systems act.

It makes trying to access a computer without authority a criminal offense. It makes designing or using a computer program with the purpose of accessing an computer unlawfully an offense. Interception of data is also an offense. Interfering with data is also an offense.

You can get 5 yrs if you are convicted and up to 10 yrs if they find you have accessed a computer or information system without authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Yes it does. Offenses relating to information systems act.

It makes trying to access a computer without authority a criminal offense. It makes designing or using a computer program with the purpose of accessing an computer unlawfully an offense. Interception of data is also an offense. Interfering with data is also an offense.

Vibes - both the prev posters are spammers

• Advertisement
Advertisement