Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 on the Late Late

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

smurgen wrote: »
    In Rainbows was there second last album and it's some of their best works. Nude is a masterpiece.Radiohead will go down in music history as one of the greatest ever. their music is dense and hard to get through sometimes but worthwhile.when you listen to it has an impact and resonates. it's pure art. almost any of u2's stuff could be made and played by 100 other faceless bands out there.it's mass produced,filler ****e.

That's just, like, your opinion man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Ryanair is the business equivalent - nothing to do with O'Leary being a dislikeable person (and proud of it), no - it's "begrudgery". Yet what about the numerous other Irish businesses that don't engender such dislike.

Yet very few are as successful as Ryanair.

smurgen wrote: »
    In Rainbows was there second last album and it's some of their best works. Nude is a masterpiece.Radiohead will go down in music history as one of the greatest ever. their music is dense and hard to get through sometimes but worthwhile.when you listen to it has an impact and resonates. it's pure art. almost any of u2's stuff could be made and played by 100 other faceless bands out there.it's mass produced,filler ****e.

Radio head will go down in history as a band which disappeared up their own asses.

Creep was good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Ryanair is the business equivalent - nothing to do with O'Leary being a dislikeable person (and proud of it), no - it's "begrudgery". Yet what about the numerous other Irish businesses that don't engender such dislike.

Only a small minority of people have a problem with Ryanair's sharp business policies.millions use them each year and appreciate the low cost fares.this whole begrudgery thing is tiresome and lazy. Bono is a dickhead and hated internationally. he's a phony and a hypocrite. banging on about love and peace and there's countless pictures of him hanging with the likes of Tony Blair and George Bush.the south park on him was quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

He couldn't be any worse than Ian Watkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Tubs.

I tried to mention people who were internationally famous.

If Tubs and Bono weren't famous and worked with you or me, I bet we'd still think they were twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

The extreme hate of Tubs seems like a bandwagon too but I can certainly understand criticism of him for his FF shilling alone.

The Ryanair negativity is down to O'Leary, not the low fares business model which can only be a good thing - most unpleasant character. People who insist on licking up to such a person... Ok.

Reedsie wrote: »
    I tried to mention people who were internationally famous.

If Tubs and Bono weren't famous and worked with you or me, I bet we'd still think they were twats.

Would Bono have the same personality? Dunno. Yes I would find him a pain with his present personality. I'd like the rest of U2 though. Edge would the kind of trustworthy guy you would like to have on your team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Because it's Ireland and Ireland hates success. Especially sustained success.

Bollocks.
    Its unbelievable that this line gets trotted out again and again. Is it so unbelievable that people dislike bono and find U2's music boring and bland nd? Take a look at irelands rich list. How many are disliked as much as the preachy leprechaun lead singer of u2?
    Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Anyone else see Edge and Bono tonight?

Classic acoustic performance, hats off to them. Great song, great performance.

Why all the hate???

But Bono dodges taxes!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

But Bono dodges taxes!!!!!!!!!!

As does Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Apple......

degsie wrote: »
    As does Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Apple......
    A degsie who defends u2. Confusion overload!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Cienciano wrote: »
    Bollocks.
    Its unbelievable that this line gets trotted out again and again. Is it so unbelievable that people dislike bono and find U2's music boring and bland nd? Take a look at irelands rich list. How many are disliked as much as the preachy leprechaun lead singer of u2?
    Ta

Surprised you didn't choke on your own vitriol. Begrudgery is a thriving industry in Ireland, trying to deny that is beyond laughable.

Areyouwell wrote: »
    Begrudgery is a thriving industry in Ireland
    Is it a "thriving industry"? Or is that just in the imagination?
    Begrudgery does occur of course (like it does anywhere) but some people like (absolutely LOVE) applying it where it isn't the case.
    Self flagellation and toadying to our "betters" seems far more prevalent in Ireland from what I see.

Bollocks.
    Ta

Methinks you doth protest too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

they were pretty good on Jools Holland last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

abstrakt82 wrote: »
    they were pretty good on Jools Holland last night

A much better version

already up to 156k hits.

Is it a "thriving industry"?

Yes

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Yes
    Industry as in... products are sold off the back of it? Like what?

• Advertisement

Is it a "thriving industry"? Or is that just in the imagination?
    Begrudgery does occur of course (like it does anywhere) but some people like (absolutely LOVE) applying it where it isn't the case.
    Self flagellation and toadying to our "betters" seems far more prevalent in Ireland from what I see.

I never said it doesn't occur elsewhere, but having lived in few spots outside of my own homeland, it certainly seems more prevalent in Ireland imo. I also never said, nor implied all Irish people are like that. But the ones that are, always seem to make themselves heard. Perhaps because they shout the loudest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

They are in the Igo Inn now lashing back the Tuborg

At least they're not drinking craft beers. The hate could intensify to off the scale....

I never said it doesn't occur elsewhere, but having lived in few spots outside of my own homeland, it certainly seems more prevalent in Ireland imo. I also never said, nor implied all Irish people are like that. But the ones that are, always seem to make themselves heard. Perhaps because they shout the loudest.
    That's a fair observation but why do people always have this obsession with applying it even when it's not relevant? As has been said countless times (but people like to ignore it) how come every other famous person doesn't get the same level of dislike and how come there is similar dislike of Bono outside of Ireland?
    I don't understand the level of dislike either tbh but it isn't necessarily always about begrudgery.

At least they're not drinking craft beers. The hate could intensify to off the scale....

lol

how come every other famous person doesn't get the same level of dislike and how come there is similar dislike of Bono outside of Ireland?
    I don't understand the level of dislike either tbh but it isn't necessarily always about begrudgery.

I can only speak for myself, but I never encountered anything near the same level of dislike towards Bono or U2 that I've encountered in Ireland. I found Bono & U2 were idolised in the States, loved in the UK and had God status in Germany. There was also no separation, by that I mean people tended to talk about U2 and not the individuals. People seem to admire their showmanship, their live performances and their longevity. But in my own country, the first thing coming out of quite a few mouths is highly negative. Interestingly though, people like myself who grew up with U2 seem to be more complimentary and admiring of them. And the most highly critical ones, tend be fans who weren't even born when the likes of the Joshua Tree came out ect. All just my own experiences of course, but isn't that all we can base any opinion on really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Surprised you didn't choke on your own vitriol. Begrudgery is a thriving industry in Ireland, trying to deny that is beyond laughable.

That's because I'm sick of people defending people with this made up "begrudgery" argument.
    We hate people who become successful apparently, not because some famous people happen to be dickheads. Obviously Adam Larry and The Edge are as disliked as much as Bono then. Take a look at any u2 thread and see how many people dislike the preaching mouthpiece as much as the other 3. Strange that, if it was begrudgery surely people would dislike them all?
    Our flagship TV show in Ireland is presented by Ryan Tubrity. Fairly disliked here. Not because he's successful, not because he's talentless, terrible presenter, and people suspect he's only where he is now because of his well connected past. It's begrudgery. That means Graham Norton must be really hated, he's 10 times more successful than Tubs. Terry Wogan has been popular in the UK for 40 years, he must be despised here.

Westlife is a good example of begrudgery not existing, just a weak defence of fans of arseholes. They made a lot of money, not liked as a band by anyone over the age of 15. I never heard people saying they thought they were a pack of wánkers.
    Same with Brendan O'Carroll. His show divides people on here. half the people love it, half hate it. I hate it. But no one thinks he's some prick because he's now made it. Someone like JP McManus would be hated in Ireland if begrudgery was real.
    You get the minority of people that you'll get anywhere that think everyone is a prick so it's all generally speaking. But the idea that we have to love someone purely because they've made money and if they're a dickhead we can't call them out on it us absurd.
    TL DR, begrudgery doesn't exist.

the idea that we have to love someone purely because they've made money and if they're a dickhead we can't call them out on it us absurd.
    And don't forget if they're Irish - we have to like them then because they're "our own" and we should be proud of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

They were great. Bono was very witty and I say hats off to him, to hell with the begrudgers that never have and never will achieve anything in life.

That's because I'm sick of people defending people with this made up "begrudgery" argument.
    We hate people who become successful apparently, not because some famous people happen to be dickheads. Obviously Adam Larry and The Edge are as disliked as much as Bono then. Take a look at any u2 thread and see how many people dislike the preaching mouthpiece as much as the other 3. Strange that, if it was begrudgery surely people would dislike them all?
    Our flagship TV show in Ireland is presented by Ryan Tubrity. Fairly disliked here. Not because he's successful, not because he's talentless, terrible presenter, and people suspect he's only where he is now because of his well connected past. It's begrudgery. That means Graham Norton must be really hated, he's 10 times more successful than Tubs. Terry Wogan has been popular in the UK for 40 years, he must be despised here.

Westlife is a good example of begrudgery not existing, just a weak defence of fans of arseholes. They made a lot of money, not liked as a band by anyone over the age of 15. I never heard people saying they thought they were a pack of wánkers.
    Same with Brendan O'Carroll. His show divides people on here. half the people love it, half hate it. I hate it. But no one thinks he's some prick because he's now made it. Someone like JP McManus would be hated in Ireland if begrudgery was real.
    You get the minority of people that you'll get anywhere that think everyone is a prick so it's all generally speaking. But the idea that we have to love someone purely because they've made money and if they're a dickhead we can't call them out on it us absurd.

good points made

• Advertisement

This is a U2 thread and I was only commentating on U2 and what I have experienced in relation to them. But basically what your saying is, begrudgery isn't really begrudgery because the begrudgery is directed at the person for being a prick, untalented or generally rubbish and a pain in the ass and therefore it is not begrudgery. And not because they are successful and have done well for themselves. And then you say that begrudgery doesn't exist? Wow and that's my cue to log off.

Advertisement