Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 on the Late Late

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would say he's alright as long as he's singing but I wouldnt want people thinking I'm jumping on the "yas are just begrudgers, ye are just saying it because other people do" bandwagon.

I'm such a special snowflake, look at me. I'm different from everyone else but I'm actually not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭scurnane

Think they would be liked more if they paid taxes here and maybe bono stopped sh1t talking

My understanding is that part of their company pays taxes on the royalties revenue through Netherlands but their own individual earnings (paid from company) are taxed here in Ireland as they are resident here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I like them, they are great ambassadors for this country and there music is not to bad either :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Years ago if one of those newfangled rock and/or roll bands, for instance The Who or Hermans Hermits, wanted to appear 'cool' they would wreck hotel rooms, throw televisions out of windows and have sex with as many groupies as possible. Now paying taxes is the in thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

He's a preacher that won't lead by example. Do as I say, not as I do comes to mind.

How do you make that out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

then again , i've never listened to him speaking for longer than 30 seconds. I want to hear him sing, not drone on.
    :

Don't go to one of their gigs then.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭miggins

Don't much like U2 but I thought the performance on the late late was excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

scurnane wrote: »
    My understanding is that part of their company pays taxes on the royalties revenue through Netherlands but their own individual earnings (paid from company) are taxed here in Ireland as they are resident here.

Unlike such great patriots as Enda's best buddy Denis O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Firefox11 wrote: »
    The whole tax thing is such bull**** and a red herring. I couldn't give a toss if they pay there tax here or not as long as it is legit. There is a hell of a lot worse in this country owing taxpayers billions don't forget!

And Bono pays personal tax. If I had his money I'd be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

A lot of the hate possibly stems from him being a secret American. We love real Americans, but born and bred Irish people who are more American than an actual American. No fúcking way, not having that!
    Bono has no discernible Irish traits. He doesnt moan or gripe, he doesnt begrudge, he doesnt do sarcastic humour. He isnt afflicted by a very noticeable inferiority complex. He isnt obsessed with this little island and isnt bothered about outdoing the British.
    He's world famous, filthy rich, loves himself and his fellow man, is a massive go-gooder and speaks with a drawl. He wears black leather all the time and sunglasses indoors.

It's fairly obvious he would be hated here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

If that were true, every successful artist ever would be disliked so intensely.

It's because people can't stand Bono for his severely inflated sense of self importance.
    I don't dislike him as much as some, and I sometimes find the hate a bit excessive, but I do recognise the traits in Bono which people take such exception to.
    Their music is pretty mediocre now but used to be brilliant.

The hate might be a bit of a bandwagon all right, but I don't know about begrudgery.

Familiarity breeds contempt - U2's longevity has made them the most familiar band in the world, therefore, naturally, comes such contempt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Because it's Ireland and Ireland hates success. Especially sustained success.

Bull****. There are plenty of very successful Irish people that don't attract hate. Bono is an arsehole and it is not just Irish people that think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

In fairness to Bono he has done an awful lot of good that many might be unaware of. He was one of the main driving forces in the Drop the Debt campaign which resulted in billions of dollars written off the National Debts of many developing countries which has had an enormous effect on their economies and ultimately the poor.

He has used his fame to promote a variety of good causes and gives fairly selflessly of his time even though he has no need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Coltard

The live acoustic performances they have produced on talk shows like the Late Late, Graham Norton and Jimmy Fallon in the states have been incredible.

I've seen U2 in Germany and Slane Castle and I wasn't overly impressed. I think the smaller venues where they perform there acoustic versions are far superior.

Hate them or not, there is no denying that they're a fantastic band musically.
    I say fair play to Bono. People may not like him but he's done a lot for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sclosages wrote: »
    It's fashionable to dislike him. I don't follow fashion. I have a mind of my own.

ha ! good one, you have a mind of your own therefore you must like Bono...

That second song on late late (piano one) was a coldplay wannabe...

Good singer though, great voice that i've never heard waiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

It's definitely the 'in' thing to dislike U2 and jump on the bandwagon.

I understand peoples' annoyance re: the tax issue, but Bono has done a lot of good, and plenty of people did far worse things ( David Drumm anyone?) but seem to be forgotten about relatively easily. We should be proud of Bono for his achievements, as I would be proud of any Irish person who has been so successful and worked so hard.

I thought Bono came across very well last night, and I enjoyed both songs, particularly the second.

Songs of Innocence is a pretty good album. Can't describe it as great as haven't listened to it enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Armelodie wrote: »
    Not a shock given that Coldplay are U2 wannabes, U2 Lite with a tenth of the talent and innovation.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Armelodie wrote: »
    ha ! good one, you have a mind of your own therefore you must like Bono...

Good singer though, great voice that i've never heard waiver.

U2 channelling Coldplay channelling U2.

All of these songs are much better acoustic.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not a shock given that Coldplay are U2 wannabes, U2 Lite with a tenth of the talent and innovation.

Ah now. Can't we all get along.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

I don't 'hate' Bono but his condescending preaching about governments not doing enough for the third world is a little annoying.

Doesn't anyone not see the contradiction between his views on more taxpayers' money going to aid the poor, and his band's exploitation of the tax laws to avoid paying taxes on the band's earnings in this jurisdiction? Of course they're not doing anything illegal, but it certainly detracts from his propaganda.

As for their sustained international success over the past few decades, well fair play to them. They have to be a great band to last that long. But it's not my cup of tea - I prefer real American R & R, not Irish and British singers singing with phoney Yankee accents. But that seems to be what the Irish public demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Wibbs wrote: »

they,re both ****e.u2 became irrelevant years ago.they're one of the most boring bands i've ever heard.you know exactly how their album is gonna sound like before you press play. they don't seem to evolve at all unlike bands like radiohead etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The vitriol they attract is often a bit herd-like and unwarranted but this concept of 'begrudgery' is profoundly retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

smurgen wrote: »
    they,re both ****e.u2 became irrelevant years ago.they're one of the most boring bands i've ever heard.you know exactly how their album is gonna sound like before you pree play. they don't seem to evolve at all unlike bands like radiohead
    Yeah, Radiohead evolved from a good band into one that isn't anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

smurgen wrote: »
    they,re both ****e.u2 became irrelevant years ago.they're one of the most boring bands i've ever heard.you know exactly how their album is gonna sound like before you pree play. they don't seem to evolve at all unlike bands like radiohead

Radiohead have evolved into utter ****e. New stuff sounds like Thom Yorke and the boys farting into a microphone. In rainbows was their last good piece of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

anncoates wrote: »
    this concept of 'begrudgery' is profoundly retarded.
    People are just obsessed with saying it, no matter how much it's debunked! The "sheeple" gem has even been resorted to on this thread. :)

Whenever the begrudgery thing gets trotted out, it reminds me of a teacher or someone in 1950s Ireland saying "Now now... Respect your betters!" :pac:

ricero wrote: »
    Radiohead have evolved into utter ****e. New stuff sounds like Thom Yorke and the boys farting into a microphone. In rainbows was their last good piece of work

the last album wasn't all that great but it was different.they took a risk.the innovated.that's music.u2 play the same old ****e,terrified they won't make millions. its ****ing elevator music.it's emotionless.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Because it's Ireland and Ireland hates success. Especially sustained success.

Everyone rolls out this line but it's more or less bollicks. Who else get's the hate like Bono and U2?

Pierce Brosnan? Colin Farrell? Liam Neeson? Danny Day (Irish wannabe)? Dylan Moran? Dara O'Briain? Graham Norton?

Yeah, Radiohead evolved from a good band into one that isn't anymore

In Rainbows was there second last album and it's some of their best works. Nude is a masterpiece.Radiohead will go down in music history as one of the greatest ever. their music is dense and hard to get through sometimes but worthwhile.when you listen to it has an impact and resonates. it's pure art. almost any of u2's stuff could be made and played by 100 other faceless bands out there.it's mass produced,filler ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm trying to see why people hate them, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. One might say that U2 just have a lot of pride in their work and that they just take it too far.

Some of their performances I've seen have been magnificent and listening to them just makes it a beautiful day. I guess I'm just numb to all the hate.

OK, I'll stop now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Reedsie wrote: »
    Everyone rolls out this line but it's more or less bollicks. Who else get's the hate like Bono and U2?

Pierce Brosnan? Colin Farrell? Liam Neeson? Danny Day (Irish wannabe)? Dylan Moran? Dara O'Briain? Graham Norton?
    Ryanair is the business equivalent - nothing to do with O'Leary being a dislikeable person (and proud of it), no - it's "begrudgery". Yet what about the numerous other Irish businesses that don't engender such dislike.

Advertisement