Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My contributions...

Tldr?

...What's new AH?

Do you honestly think that diarrhea and bleeding from eyes, nose and mouth would stop most AH posters having sex with somebody after a few scoops?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

It doesn't need to be airborne, it just needs to adapt to kill less people that's how these viruses spead. Survival means more contagion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Murray007 wrote: »
    It doesn't need to be airborne, it just needs to adapt to kill less people that's how these viruses spead. Survival means more contagion.

No survival means resistance... and a possible cure. It's like AIDS really but a quicker death. It's passed by bodily fluids at the moment. There is no cure and your body attacks itself.. Flesh falls off, organs fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Yes this is one of the several reasons why it's not currently a concern its current form.

Because it is so lethal, the incubation period is short, and therefore there isn't much much time for it to be spread.

It needs to adapt and either have a longer incubation period, become less lethal or become airborne to do more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

That's what they said on Atlantis.

And before the arrival of air travel:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Although I do recognise that Ebola is a disease originating from primates in Africa, this primate connection is even more worrying for us as humans, the only saving grace so far is that it is so deadly it kills itself off.

In primates and humans yes, but a virus is not designed to kill its host, so something else is hosting it and surviving longer than a few weeks from time of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

can mosquitos or other biting insects spread it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hitchens wrote: »
    can mosquitos or other biting insects spread it?

The virus can't propagate in mosquitoes. So although a mosquito could bite an infected person and then bite a healthy person it's unlikely the virus would survive long enough in the mosquito to be transmitted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Because it is so lethal, the incubation period is short, and therefore there isn't much much time for it to be spread.

It needs to adapt and either have a longer incubation period, become less lethal or become airborne to do more damage.
    Pretty much. Although pneumonic plague has an extremely short incubation period and is pretty much 100% fatal unless caught extremely early. Being airborne helps it.

The plague, the "Black Death", Yesinia pestis(SP?) if it ever goes virulent again it would make ebola look like the bloody sniffles. Antibiotics? Sure, they work if caught early enough in the Bubonic type, but plague is a right bastard as it has many modes of infection and transmission. Add in the pneumonic and septacemic types which are incredibly fast acting and even modern medicine would be quickly overwhelmed. If a strain became both virulent and antibiotic resistant, then Monty Python's Bring out your dead sketch would be less a joke and more a public information film. Some populations would have some inbuilt resistence - eg European ancestry folks as everyone reading this is reading this because their ancestors survived - but many wouldn't and even those with some inbuilt immunity might be compromised because of the lack of exposure for a few centuries and generally compromised immune systems(how many people have allergies these days?).

A really bad dose of influenza could really fcuk us up. People can forget that the Spanish flu in 1918 killed way more people than world war one. Up to 40 million people*. I remember my grandmother and great uncle telling me of watching as the coffins left the houses on their street in Dublin as people were dropping. Bring out your dead indeed. Of the two of them, she got it and he didn't. The Russian roulette of the pathogen. She told me for her it was akin to a very bad cold that got her off school for a couple of weeks(though wodjus headaches apparently), yet as she put it "men in their prime" were struck down and pine suited in days. Scary shíte altogether.

There are any number of potential buggy bastards out there. The rural oriental habit of keeping pigs and bird and humans in close proximity near guarantees new pathogens will come along, but there are other vectors too and many that aren't on the radar. IMH if one right bastid comes along it'll come out of left field and won't be noticed until people start dropping where they didn't expect them to drop. Might even be an oldie thought long gone like a new smallpox.

Nearly all such killers start of as a low level set of symptoms, feeling a bit bollocksed, "ah I'm comin down with the dose that's going around. be grand" and that includes Plague. All too easy for doctors to miss something truly devastating, even with the best will in the world. I'd bet the farm that if I showed up in an Irish casualty dept tonight with early stage pneumonic or bubonic plague, a) I'd be triaged and told to wait for many hours infecting the waiting room and b) if and when I was seen I'd be likely sent off home with a script for paracetamol and wide spectrum antibiotics, if I looked a bit "chesty". Goes for the rest of the world's medical responses too.

* In that case having a compromised immune system would help as that kind of virus tends to kill the healthy robust adults and leaves the kids and elderly alive. Some isolated settlements in Alaska and such when outsiders came back after the pandemic they found the graveyards full of healthy adults and most that were left were the kids and grannies. Basically it seems your own immune response kills you, so if it's fooked then...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Lucky we live on an island

Africa is an island since they built the Suez canal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Close the boarders of all effected areas, no travelling in or out. People might think people are worrying to much but seriously if the virus gets airbrone we're all in the ****ter. The man who died in Nigeria was on his way back to America if urgent action isn't taken we could be looking at another Spanish Flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

No survival means resistance... and a possible cure. It's like AIDS really but a quicker death. It's passed by bodily fluids at the moment. There is no cure and your body attacks itself.. Flesh falls off, organs fail.

No survival is the opposite to resistance!

Are you saying that there is evidence if resistance for AIDs, I haven't heard any real evidence of that!

No resistance, no possible cure yet, until that happens.

MadYaker wrote: »
    The virus can't propagate in mosquitoes. So although a mosquito could bite an infected person and then bite a healthy person it's unlikely the virus would survive long enough in the mosquito to be transmitted.
    How would it "die"?
    Wibbs wrote: »
    There are any number of potential buggy bastards out there. The rural oriental habit of keeping pigs and bird and humans in close proximity near guarantees new pathogens will come along, but there are other vectors too and many that aren't on the radar. IMH if one right bastid comes along it'll come out of left field and won't be noticed until people start dropping where they didn't expect them to drop. Might even be an oldie thought long gone like a new smallpox.
    Nah, once vaccination continues it shouldn't happen. The reduction in carriers and all that probably means less potential for mutations and the like as well.

No survival is the opposite to resistance!

Are you saying that there is evidence if resistance for AIDs, I haven't heard any real evidence of that!

No resistance, no possible cure yet, until that happens.

There's loads of evidence of resistance in prostitutes and the like in parts of Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

Close the boarders of all effected areas, no travelling in or out. People might think people are worrying to much but seriously if the virus gets airbrone we're all in the ****ter. The man who died in Nigeria was on his way back to America if urgent action isn't taken we could be looking at another Spanish Flu.

So like.....you didn't read any other post in the thread....At All?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Hitchens wrote: »
    or it could be used by terrorists?

As in biological warfare?Wasn't that one of the theories for the outbreak of AIDS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Rabies is technically a more deadlier disease than Ebola.

Without vaccine, 100% of Rabies patients will die.

Without vaccine (of which there is none) 50 - 80% of Ebola patients will die.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How would it "die"?
    Viruses can be remarkably delicate to temperature change and chemical environment. Bacteria are usually far more robust.
    Nah, once vaccination continues it shouldn't happen. The reduction in carriers and all that probably means less potential for mutations and the like as well.
    Ehhhh, no. Vaccination only works(broadly speaking) with known existing pathogens. Once there was a time when people were vaccinated against smallpox(the first vaccine actually), my dad was. However if I exposed you to smallpox, no matter how many vaccinations you've under your belt, you're going down Ted. Indeed some may argue that weirdoes like me who've had little or no vaccinations(polio vaccine is my only one) may actually stand more of a chance as we've had measles and chicken pox and mumps and whooping cough and various influenza strains(I had swine flu when it was going. Not that bad TBH) and a host of other pathogens and survived so far. Basically unless there exists a vaccine for a specific vaccine and you've taken it, a novel pathogen is going to bypass that like a boss and fook you up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Viruses can be remarkably delicate to temperature change and chemical environment. Bacteria are usually far more robust.
    I was being facetious since you cannot kill what isn't alive. :P
    Ehhhh, no. Vaccination only works(broadly speaking) with known existing pathogens. Once there was a time when people were vaccinated against smallpox(the first vaccine actually), my dad was. However if I exposed you to smallpox, no matter how many vaccinations you've under your belt, you're going down Ted. Indeed some may argue that weirdoes like me who've had little or no vaccinations(polio vaccine is my only one) may actually stand more of a chance as we've had measles and chicken pox and mumps and whooping cough and various influenza strains(I had swine flu when it was going. Not that bad TBH) and a host of other pathogens and survived so far. Basically unless there exists a vaccine for a specific vaccine and you've taken it, a novel pathogen is going to bypass that like a boss and fook you up.
    Bad example on the smallpox one. :P However if a disease is wiped out and vaccination continues then where is the novel form of the virus going to arise from when it's not infecting millions of people every year and replicating innumerable times in each case?
    (A purposely manipulated virus is so different that I find it ridiculous when they're still called by the original names. :P )

I'll bet the farm smallpox or its descendent is still out there somewhere, hiding in some host or other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Yes this is one of the several reasons why it's not currently a concern its current form. Because it is so lethal, the incubation period is short, and therefore there isn't much much time for it to be spread. It needs to adapt and either have a longer incubation period, become less lethal or become airborne to do more damage.

Media (bbc etc) article says: The incubation period can last from two days to three weeks, and diagnosis is difficult.

People are infectious as long as their blood and secretions contain the virus - in some cases, up to seven weeks after they recover.

Newspaper article mentioned infected sneezing on an packed airplane carried 'slight risk'. It also said Nigeria is the most populated and the most densely populated country in Africa, so containment there is paramount...

I'll bet the farm smallpox or its descendent is still out there somewhere, hiding in some host or other.

Well polio's making a comeback where there's been a drop in vaccinations. The smallpox vaccine isn't in general use now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Wasn't cowpox used for the first vaccines because cowpox and smallpox had similar protein profiles or something? Pretty sure people still get cowpox from farm/dairy exposure, so that would be one vector.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

inocybe wrote: »

think of how physically well protected that doctor would have been treating patients with ebola, and he still managed to contract it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I wonder how he caught it. He looked so careful in the photos.Did he pierce himself with a needle or was there some residue on his suit that he touched when taking it off?? It's terrible! The poor man after risking his life caring for the sick. Maybe il be accused of overreacting but maybe all flights should be cancelled to Africa and a quarantine station set up for anyone travelling back until it's under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Ann22 wrote: »
    I wonder how he caught it. He looked so careful in the photos.Did he pierce himself with a needle or was there some residue on his suit that he touched when taking it off?? It's terrible! The poor man after risking his life caring for the sick. Maybe il be accused of overreacting but maybe all flights should be cancelled to Africa and a quarantine station set up for anyone travelling back until it's under control.
    Well, take a look at what the chinese are doing for the plague outbreak. Police enforced quarantine of an entire city. It's really the only way to contain these things properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Well, take a look at what the chinese are doing for the plague outbreak. Police enforced quarantine of an entire city. It's really the only way to contain these things properly.

Id support a full quarentine of the countries affected. No in or out. But western governments move to slow to push these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

PucaMama wrote: »
    Id support a full quarentine of the countries affected. No in or out. But western governments move to slow to push these things.

Tis racist to take precautions against diseases primarily spread by Africans, allegedly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I've seen Madagascar and the closing of it's ports mentioned on this thread a couple of times. Would someone like to explain the significance of that?

Advertisement