Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Spreading for a reason though, lack of education, general hygiene practice (eating of 'bush meat') and superstition, with customs like washing the dead, despite being told not to..

It is a disease that seems to need very very close personal contact, to persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28542577

For every 100 people infected 90 will die, and no vaccine as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Dustin Hoffman will save us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Or Dana's magician priest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hitchens wrote: »
    Is Ebola the new plague?.

When it mutates into an airborne variant, yes it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dustin Hoffman will save us.

There's nothing Will Smith can't do.

When it mutates into an airborne variant, yes it will be.

or it could be used by terrorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Na, flu kills twice as many people per day as this ebola outbreak has in almost a year.

There may be a time to panic, but that time is a long long way away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lucky we live on an island

Lucky we live on an island
    That's what they said on Atlantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Not a nice way to go diarrhoea, bleeding from eyes, ears, and nose etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Madagascar's already closed its port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Got to hand it to the Chinese, they don't fsck around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

kneemos wrote: »
    There's nothing Will Smith can't do.

I'm fairly sure Jeff Goldblum isn't doing anything.

did Nostrodamus give it a mention.............................in a roundabout way?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

It's almost like AIDs has disappeared. It came out of nowhere and it is still devastating some countries, like South Africa.

Any of these diseases could cross over and take hold, Ebola, avarian flu. Look at swine flu, I got it 3 months before it was recognised and blamed on Mexico. I was on holiday elsewhere and flew back the day before I came down with it. I was hospitalised in an open ward. Even my GP says that it was an anomaly that I was the first case he seen before it was offically recognised! It's handy to pin it on a third world country.

Although I do recognise that Ebola is a disease originating from primates in Africa, this primate connection is even more worrying for us as humans, the only saving grace so far is that it is so deadly it kills itself off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Madagascar's already closed its port.

Hope Chris Rock, Ben Stiller and David Schwimmer never get out this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm fairly sure Jeff Goldblum isn't doing anything.

If only George Kennedy were still alive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I thought Real Madrid were after Ebola after the World Cup he had.

kneemos wrote: »
    If only George Kennedy were still alive.
    He is.

Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The death rate is up to 90%. From what I have read, it usually averages out at about 50-60%. The current outbreak has a death rate of 56% so far. Still pretty bad but there is little chance of it spreading in any country that has what we consider to be normal hygiene practices, such as frequent hand washing and clean hospitals. You have to come into direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person and there is little chance of that happening if effective quarantine measures are in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I'm not one to get concerned about these things. Usually. But this shìt could get very, very, seriously fcuking bad, extremely quickly.

I'm getting an '80s 'Threads' type vibe off it. Bad juju.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    You have to come into direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person and there is little chance of that happening if effective quarantine measures are in place.

In its current form. As has been noted, if it goes airborne we are deeply in the shìt.

But that'll never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

It's an old old disease. I remember being scared of it as a little child!!

If it gets airborne then we are in trouble but in 20years since my childhood, it hasn't of yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

123balltv wrote: »
    Not a nice way to go diarrhoea, bleeding from eyes, ears, and nose etc

Sounds like the aftermath of a Jedward gig and a kebab tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

My contributions...
    This is the very same ''Ah sure its only them Africans who get it we be grand our health service is great sure......''

People tend to only start thinking about things seriously when its to late.

It's not a concern for developed countries, not now & not ever unless it mutates.

It's being spread in West Africa primarily through the embalming of infected dead people and also through contact with contaminated medical equipment such as needles which are shared. You can't get it just by being in the same room as someone. Besides, the sanitation standards are much better over here and we have protocols to deal with this sort of thing should it ever occur.

Another reason ebola is not a concern is because the reservoir host does not exist outside the continent of Africa. Other than that the incubation period is too short to do much damage, it's too lethal.

This is not the first outbreak either. There have been 27 previously, 6 of which have occurred outside Africa with a total death toll of 0.

I could understand your concern if ebola was airborne or something, but it's just not dangerous over here in it's current state,.. the likes of swine flu was much worse.

Even if it did somehow become a concern, a cure would be found quickly when money is pumped into it. The reason progress is slow now is because the virus is limited to Africa and has only killed roughly 2000 in the past 30 years which is a small number when compared to the flu which kills tens of thousands annually.

I don't mean to come across as harsh either. It's terrible what's happening in Guinea but I'm just sick of this scaremongering I guess.

Tldr?
    The Ebola virus is spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person

The only reason it's spreading so quickly in West Africa is because of poor sanitation. You literally have to come into contact with someones blood or sh*t to catch it.

It wouldn't stand a chance in developed countries, the incubation period is too short.

Now shtap scaremongering.

...What's new AH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hitchens wrote: »
    did Nostrodamus give it a mention.............................in a roundabout way?

He pretty much covered everything...........................in a roundabout way.

Advertisement