Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Imac woohoo!

Options
  • 06-12-2005 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

My first mac arrived a while ago, pretty quick too since i only ordered it on Friday evening :)

It's the new 17" Imac G5, just playing around with it and so far loving OSX, I'd been thinking about getting one ever since getting the girlfriend an ibook and being very impressed with it.

So long Windoze! :p

(Sorry just had to share :D )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Lucky b*stard, I've been waiting nearly 2 months for mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Gordon wrote:
    Lucky b*stard, I've been waiting nearly 2 months for mine!

For the G5 Imac or something else? Bloody hell...

Still haven't had much of an opportunity to play around with it yet but despite my windoze background it's still reasonably intuitive to use no doubt helped by the mighty mouse (which rocks btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Yeah... RIP windows! I switched over 6 months ago. I had been battling with PCs for 7 years. I have a Macmini at the moment, but am thinking of using for an iMac for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Bluehair wrote:
    My first mac arrived a while ago, pretty quick too since i only ordered it on Friday evening :)

It's the new 17" Imac G5, just playing around with it and so far loving OSX, I'd been thinking about getting one ever since getting the girlfriend an ibook and being very impressed with it.

So long Windoze! :p

(Sorry just had to share :D )

I have got two Macs....

Now you know why they say 'Once you switch, you'll never want to go back' ;)

HomunQlus wrote:
    I have got two Macs....

Now you know why they say 'Once you switch, you'll never want to go back' ;)

I'm still using my old windows laptop for college stuff but will gradually strip it down to little more than a wireless web browser and word stuff.

It's funny there was a point many years ago when I actually enjoyed learning the ins and outs of windows. This stopped when it dawned on me all that time and effort was achieving nothing more than me knowing how to 'make it work again'(something I had to do often :mad: ).

All i want these days is a useful and stable os which can runs a range of apps relevant to my daily life. Apple seems to fulfill that to the letter. :) (hey look at that, 24 hours later and I'm a confirmed mac fanboy! ;) )

Without looking at a manual in no time at all yesterday I had downloaded firefox, synced my ipod nano, signed up to a few podcasts, bought a track on itunes (another first :D ), discovered widgets (setup the weather forecaster, found the flight tracker and kept an eye on my girlfriends flight arriving), played with the photo booth, updated quicktime to version 7 (with no crashes!) watched a couple of HiDef trailers, toyed with the sensitivity settings for the mighty mouse etc. etc..

Genuinely the OS seems to make it easy to do stuff, it's a world apart from windows, I'm thrilled with it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

The best thing is telling your Windows friends that you don't use antivirus and anti-spyware software on your Mac and seeing the shocked expression on their faces. What, no anti virus, are you Crazy!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Bluehair wrote:
    I'm still using my old windows laptop for college stuff but will gradually strip it down to little more than a wireless web browser and word stuff.

It's funny there was a point many years ago when I actually enjoyed learning the ins and outs of windows. This stopped when it dawned on me all that time and effort was achieving nothing more than me knowing how to 'make it work again'(something I had to do often :mad: ).

All i want these days is a useful and stable os which can runs a range of apps relevant to my daily life. Apple seems to fulfill that to the letter. :) (hey look at that, 24 hours later and I'm a confirmed mac fanboy! ;) )

Without looking at a manual in no time at all yesterday I had downloaded firefox, synced my ipod nano, signed up to a few podcasts, bought a track on itunes (another first :D ), discovered widgets (setup the weather forecaster, found the flight tracker and kept an eye on my girlfriends flight arriving), played with the photo booth, updated quicktime to version 7 (with no crashes!) watched a couple of HiDef trailers, toyed with the sensitivity settings for the mighty mouse etc. etc..

Genuinely the OS seems to make it easy to do stuff, it's a world apart from windows, I'm thrilled with it! :)

Great to hear that! Everything on OS X is cool and elegant, with Tiger it got better. I have only one Windows machine left, and it's only there for playing games I can't have on the Mac.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I've yet to get a mac, but I have used them in various situations and I've got to say the OS is a dream.
    I worked with a g4 iMac a year ago and at first had trouble with the following, lack of right click and the close window button being on the opposite side. Considering that I was switching to a totally different machine, that's nothing. Within a day in work I was totally comfortable with what I was doing, and after less than a week I felt awkward using my PC at home to browse/photoshop etc.
    I had another job recently where I used a mac, and this time I had no issues at all, it was second nature. It took me days to get used to hitting the ctrl button again instead of the apple button.
    I think most people expect the mac OS to be too complicated and for computer wizz's only, but that's far from the truth, it is perfect for Windows users, complete computer noobs and vet's alike.
    At the nearest possible oppertunity I will be making the switch, I'm still not sure where to start though, it could be an ibook (because I want a truely portable laptop), or I could wait and get myself a nice iMac... maybe both!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

HomunQlus wrote:
    I have got two Macs....

For pity's sake keep them apart !!! I started with 2 . . . they got funky and now I have 6 !!!! :D

Differing opinions on the Mighty Mouse, people I know hate it and no longer use it. I bought a MS Wireless Optical Mouse with scroll wheel etc, suits me fine for general use and I use a Griffen PowerMate for video and audio editing - really cool gadget !

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

[in my best super villian voice]

WELLLLLCOME!

Stay a while :)

STAY FOREVERRRRRRRR!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well I've finally got mine! Woohoo! To empathise with the op!

Am particularly enjoying the speed differences and the large screen. 2.1 gHz processor, 1.5 gigs of Ram and 250 gigs of HD compared with 500mHZ proc., 256mgb Ram and 40gigs of HD.

It's extremely peculiar to get used to the right click on this mouse though! But having the left/right and the scroll button clickys is very interesting. All will take a great deal of time to get used to.

Anyone tried the extra apps on the Developer install yet? Filemerge is a particularly clean and nice app.

Love the scroll 'wheel' on the mighty mouse though very easy to use, the right click is more natural coming from windows so I never had that weirdness to deal with :)

Just upgraded to 1.5gb too, got a 1gb module for 87 euro from shop4memory, popped it in in about 10 minutes (of which 8 minutes were spent searching for a phillips screwdriver! :D ) and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

flogen wrote:
    had trouble with the following, lack of right click and ...

I've been using a 3 button mouse for a long time - pretty much since OS X was introduced, and it revolutionises mousing activity for Mac. You can pretty much configure the right click to emulate Windows activity if you want...

There are Mac purists on usenet who swear that a multi-button Mac mouse is sacrilige, but I don't hold with that at all...

Plus, the Logitech 3 button mouse I have had for 3 years only cost about 25 euros, whereas the Mighty Mouse is a lot more, IIRC.

Advertisement