Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N86 - Tralee to Dingle [advance works ongoing for Phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Work on this is anticipated to start next month, so should see a tender awarded soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender went out for land valuation today:
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=100749&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

It seems the project will be done as follows:

Completed:
    d. Annascaul to Gortbreagoge (2012)

At tender:
    b. Lispole to Ballynasare Lower
    f. Ballygarret to Camp

Planned:
    a. Dingle to Lispole (10.7km)
    c. Ballynasare Lower to Annascaul (4.7km)
    e. Gortbreagoge to Ballygarret (9.6km)
    g. Camp Upper to Camp Lower (1.3km)

The schemes then line up as above from a. at Dingle to g. near the R560 junction at Camp. The villages of Annascaul and Lispole will not be bypassed. The schemes in total comprise 28km of roadway. The two at tender should be at the construction phase before the end of 2016 and should then be completed within 18 months.

marno21 wrote: »
    Tender went out for land valuation today:
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=100749&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

It seems the project will be done as follows:

Completed:
    d. Annascaul to Gortbreagoge (2012)

At tender:
    b. Lispole to Ballynasare Lower
    f. Ballygarret to Camp

Planned:
    a. Dingle to Lispole (10.7km)
    c. Ballynasare Lower to Annascaul (4.7km)
    e. Gortbreagoge to Ballygarret (9.6km)
    g. Camp Upper to Camp Lower (1.3km)

The schemes then line up as above from a. at Dingle to g. near the R560 junction at Camp. The villages of Annascaul and Lispole will not be bypassed. The schemes in total comprise 28km of roadway. The two at tender should be at the construction phase before the end of 2016 and should then be completed within 18 months.
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=100749&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=2&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Tender for land valuation for parts a, c, e and g was awarded today.

Still no sign of a construction tender being awarded for parts b and f.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well spotted Mc Love, cheers for posting.

Good to see another 4km done in the next year or so.

• Advertisement

Well spotted Mc Love, cheers for posting.

Good to see another 4km done in the next year or so.

Making more progress than the M20 anyway :D Tbh - i'd nearly prefer this to be done first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Can't say it's been awarded to a very experienced contractor.
    Apart from a small alignment which was mainly offline on the N69 outside Tralee, have this crowd much other road construction experience?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Can't say it's been awarded to a very experienced contractor.
    Apart from a small alignment which was mainly offline on the N69 outside Tralee, have this crowd much other road construction experience?

This also isn't a massive scheme. General contractors build roads in residential, retail and industrial developments all the time - its not like its a 60km motorway scheme.

L1011 wrote: »
    This also isn't a massive scheme. General contractors build roads in residential, retail and industrial developments all the time - its not like its a 60km motorway scheme.
    The two schemes are around the same length as the N69 Rea to Tullig realignment. Allmans should be well able for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

I was driving back to dingle yesterday and saw groundworks have started below the road before banogue hairpin. I presume its for the bridge that will cross over the existing road. Great to see this scheme has finally started.

Mc Love wrote: »

It's a short road within the town boundary afaik, not on the N86.

It's a short road within the town boundary afaik, not on the N86.

It's quite possibly the road to Miltown roundabout so, that road is in dire need of repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

It's the next section of the road that currently goes from the N86 junction at the West Kerry Hospital/GAA grounds, across John Street and down to the Spa Road/Conor Pass road.
    The next part will run parallel to Main St., behind St. James church and emerge somewhere onto Goat Street near the Chapel Lane junction. To me it seems the most problematic. Many businesses already use the existing lane from the Spa Road and will want to maintain that access. The exit near Chapel Lane will be very tight unless they demolish a few houses or gardens, unless the proposal is to extend it to the old hospital and miss Goat Street altogether. Anyone know if there is a detailed map of the scheme?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

lottpaul wrote: »
    The exit near Chapel Lane will be very tight unless they demolish a few houses or gardens, unless the proposal is to extend it to the old hospital and miss Goat Street altogether. Anyone know if there is a detailed map of the scheme?

Yeah, it starts at the old hospital.

Wow I'd never expect them to upgrade the lane behind St. James'. It would be great for local traffic if that becomes a route to bypass main st.

Wow I'd never expect them to upgrade the lane behind St. James'. It would be great for local traffic if that becomes a route to bypass main st.
    The lane will stay I'd imagine and the new road will be between it and the Pobalscoil. If not, they will have to provide several individual exits onto the new road.
    There was a plan a few years back to have a public car park behind Geaneys and a footpath from there through the grounds of St James to Main St, but it never progressed. (There were objections from the then Parish Priest of Dingle re possibly disturbing some burials - many would be unmarked - and the scheme was shelved)

Yeah - surprised that the land in front of the pobalscoil hasnt been developed but would make sense using it for the road.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/year-long-speed-limit-reduction-sections-dingle-tralee-road-effect-today/

Changes to speed limits on sections of the N86 Dingle – Tralee Road come into effect today.
    A Road Works Speed Limit Order is required to facilitate the construction of the N86 Lispole to Baile na Saoir Lower and Ballygarret to Camp Road Improvement Scheme.
    The Road Works Speed Limit to be applied is 50 kilometre per hour and will remain in place for 12 months.
    In accordance with Section 10 of the Road Traffic Act, 2004 the speed limit on the section from Lispole to Baile na Saoir Lower and Ballygarret to Camp Road is to be reduced to 50 km per hour from today.
    The speed restriction will remain in place until January 29 of next year (2018).
    Road Works Speed Limit Orders have also been made on a number of local roads in the area, namely the L-12096, the L-8071, the L-12098, the L-12243, the L-12107, L-12104 and L-12244, in the interest of road safety.
    These local roads include access to areas including Gragiue, Bánóg, Mountoven, Baile an Cnochán and Garraí na dTur.
    Representations regarding the changes may be made in writing to Kerry County Council’s Director of Operations Charlie O’Sullivan.
    The Road Works Speed Limit Order is to facilitate works as part of the N86 Road Improvement Scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

So when does work begin?

Paddico wrote: »
    So when does work begin?

Very shortly.

A speed limit reduction usually means work is very close to starting. Definately before the end of the month.

I'll probably use the castlemaine road until this is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JMF240

Paddico wrote: »
    So when does work begin?
    Did it not start several weeks ago? They have a lot of it fenced and have a bit of work done below banogue turn. I have yet to see any action near camp though.

Work has started on the section near Camp - off the existing road between the village and the viewing park at Skylough. Only really visible as you travel from the Annascaul direction. Seems to be heavy machinery doing some initial clearance.
    Plenty of work visible at the Lispole section - though most of it is offline too. They have erected those red "arches" to prevent machines from hitting power lines between Garraí pub and the start of the section near Lispole school. The small house to be demolished is now empty I hear, with power disconnected etc. Further on towards the bends you can clearly see the new road track behind the existing house at Baile na Saor bridge. It's just a lot of mud and mess at present but they should be well progressed by the time everything dries out in April or May - hopefully.

Yea I was out that road a few days ago, not much activity but then again conditions are poor at the minute for major earthworks.

The only thing I can't understand is why did they select that particular section at Camp to realign now?
    It's one of the better sections of the entire N86. Surely the narrow hairpin bridge on the Tralee side of camp would be more of a priority? It's not even wide enough for two cars to pass.

thanks for the update lads! Havent been down that way in a while.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Kevwoody wrote: »
    The only thing I can't understand is why did they select that particular section at Camp to realign now?
    It's one of the better sections of the entire N86. Surely the narrow hairpin bridge on the Tralee side of camp would be more of a priority? It's not even wide enough for two cars to pass.

It's a cut section and it's been done now in order to provide fill material that can be used on the Lispole section, thereby minimising overall costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JMF240

Work on the new road seems to have slowed down in the last few weeks. Any word on this?

• Advertisement

JMF240 wrote: »
    Work on the new road seems to have slowed down in the last few weeks. Any word on this?

There is a load of rumours locally (I'm not local but on this road every month) and the truth is, the foreman of the job had a heart attack 4 weeks ago and was airlifted from Camp to Limerick where he is recovering from heart surgery. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
    There was extra machinery on route which was turned away, all staff are still on site, but are in both compounds full time servicing machinery.

Now not to be too harsh after a man almost died, but it is an absolute disgrace that only one man could run the entire job. I voiced concern about this crowd not being able to carry out this job, and unfortunately it seems I was right.
    I mean, do they really think one foreman can oversee the entire project? Do they not have any civil engineers employed? Could they not get another foreman?

It's now 4 weeks since a bucket of dirt has been moved, and progress was already incredibly slow even before that.

Would not be one bit surprised if another competent contractor will have to step in here.

Advertisement