Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Valve - advice to figure out where to put it

Options
  • 04-09-2013 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice. I had a new Grant Vortex with a Riello burner fitted last year, and up to last Saturday it was running fine - very intermittent over the Summer but it did run at one point last week.

Its an outdoor Grant Vortex Condensing model.

When you open the front of the boiler, where the burner is, there is what I now know to be a fire valve, with a long length of wire and a stat rolled up next to it. What I figure happened, is last week, I was cleaning the footpath, and I opened the back of the boiler, to clear away some leaves and dirt caught in the edge. I must have knocked over the stat, and it must have landed on something that would become hot, or I simply disturbed the valve.

Anyway, I got a boiler serviceman around (because I don't mess with this stuff) and he quickly figured out that the fire valve was blocking the oil. He admitted he did know why its there, and he could not open it. After bypassing it, the boiler works fine. So his going to replace it tonight.

But I'm wondering where this valve should be. If I understand it correctly, the valve shuts down in high temperature, such as a fire. But whats the point in having a fire valve inside the boiler casing where the fire would be - surely the fire would break the pipe and it the oil will flow and feed the fire.

Would it be better to put the firevalve a few meters away from the boiler and run the cable into the boiler - if so, where should it be positioned?

Or is what the previous installer did correct and it should all be inside the casing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Colm R wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice. I had a new Grant Vortex with a Riello burner fitted last year, and up to last Saturday it was running fine - very intermittent over the Summer but it did run at one point last week.

Its an outdoor Grant Vortex Condensing model.

When you open the front of the boiler, where the burner is, there is what I now know to be a fire valve, with a long length of wire and a stat rolled up next to it. What I figure happened, is last week, I was cleaning the footpath, and I opened the back of the boiler, to clear away some leaves and dirt caught in the edge. I must have knocked over the stat, and it must have landed on something that would become hot, or I simply disturbed the valve.

Anyway, I got a boiler serviceman around (because I don't mess with this stuff) and he quickly figured out that the fire valve was blocking the oil. He admitted he did know why its there, and he could not open it. After bypassing it, the boiler works fine. So his going to replace it tonight.

But I'm wondering where this valve should be. If I understand it correctly, the valve shuts down in high temperature, such as a fire. But whats the point in having a fire valve inside the boiler casing where the fire would be - surely the fire would break the pipe and it the oil will flow and feed the fire.

Would it be better to put the firevalve a few meters away from the boiler and run the cable into the boiler - if so, where should it be positioned?

Or is what the previous installer did correct and it should all be inside the casing?

The long probe should be inside the burner over the burner and the brass body that the pipes join into should be outside the boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Those type. Technically the valve should be outside the boiler house. And the probe over the burner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

The sensor phial should be above the burner inside the boiler casing. There is a clip at the back of the control panel to hold it in its correct location.
    The valve body of the remote acting fire valve should be minimum of 1.0m away from the boiler casing.

Advertisement