Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Boiler; how often to change nozzle.

Options
  • 02-09-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Sister has a non condensing Kerosene oil boiler for over 8 years now and is still on its original nozzle; is their a rule of thumb time wise to have it changed out as in do these wear over time thus the nozzle pin holes are no longer within tolerance????

Cheers,
    Islanderre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Every year. Why not they cost very little

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

Fair enough corkgsxr....... will mention it to her and see what she says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

islanderre wrote: »
    Evening all,

Sister has a non condensing Kerosene oil boiler for over 8 years now and is still on its original nozzle; is their a rule of thumb time wise to have it changed out as in do these wear over time thus the nozzle pin holes are no longer within tolerant
    Cheers,
    Islanderre

Sent you a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

It's not so much that they wear, it's more that the filter that forms part of the nozzle gets dirty. This leads to not a full throughput of the nozzle & incomplete combustion.
    Manufacturer's recommend a boiler service to be carried out at least once a year, more if higher than normal usage. It is also recommended that as part of this service, the nozzle is changed along with other items & checks & settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

Fair play shane0007, as always a helpful and comprehensive reply. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

shane0007 wrote: »
    It's not so much that they wear, it's more that the filter that forms part of the nozzle gets dirty. This leads to not a full throughput of the nozzle & incomplete combustion.
    Manufacturer's recommend a boiler service to be carried out at least once a year, more if higher than normal usage. It is also recommended that as part of this service, the nozzle is changed along with other items & checks & settings.

So benefits the the manufacturer really, filters are quite simple to clean, but I always change anyway.

So benefits the the manufacturer really, filters are quite simple to clean, but I always change anyway.

Why would you even attempt to clean a nozzle filter? They are a service replacement part. So many combustion issues are caused by the nozzle.

Why would you even attempt to clean a nozzle filter? They are a service replacement part. So many combustion issues are caused by the nozzle.

I'm just sayin they are simple to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

How do you know your not just cleaning the surface and not the insides.

I wouldn't know. I've never cleaned one....
    My point is they are an extremely engineered component. A speck of debris can have a detrimental effect on it's ability to perform.
    For €7, it's a service replacement part. It would cost me a lot more to return a couple of weeks later if it was then sooting up, plus only cleaning it would never satisfy my OCD!

• Advertisement

I actually knew this would get a few going in here, I'm been honest have serviced some where I didn't have the nozzle with me so took it apart cleaned it in oil etc put it back in and works perfect, the number of times you remove a nozzle and its dirty is a rarity.

I wouldn't know. I've never cleaned one....
    My point is they are an extremely engineered component. A speck of debris can have a detrimental effect on it's ability to perform.
    For €7, it's a service replacement part. It would cost me a lot more to return a couple of weeks later if it was then sooting up, plus only cleaning it would never satisfy my OCD!
    Yep I know that ocd only too well.

I actually knew this would get a few going in here, I'm been honest have serviced some where I didn't have the nozzle with me so took it apart cleaned it in oil etc put it back in and works perfect, the number of times you remove a nozzle and its dirty is a rarity.

I carry over 120 nozzles in my van at all times. On the rare occasion I am called to a boiler that I don't happen to have the correct one, I have driven a 30 mile round trip to get one, otherwise I return another day to do the service.

I carry over 120 nozzles in my van at all times. On the rare occasion I am called to a boiler that I don't happen to have the correct one, I have driven a 30 mile round trip to get one, otherwise I return another day to do the service.

Good way to be, but sometimes its not practical to do what you suggest.

Good way to be, but sometimes its not practical to do what you suggest.

It is, of course, not practical to do a round trip like that but as I carry so many nozzles, it is a very rare occasion thankfully. However, it is something I would do in a heartbeat as to me, it is the right thing to do. I am being paid to services customer's boiler & I feel I would be doing them a disservice by not changing it. Every customer I have, a record is kept of their installation. The issue only arises with new customers but this can be resolved over the initial phone call usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Service bloke I know up the country recycles them by leaving them in Coke Cola for a week !!!

scudo2 wrote: »
    Service bloke I know up the country recycles them by leaving them in Coke Cola for a week !!!

Cavan!??

Advertisement