Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deciding between a combi-boiler or a condensing boiler

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If the taps in your kitchen are attached to the mains (they should be to make it drinkable!), then you can tell what sort of water pressure you have, although best to get a plumber's opinion.

The boiler house is large enough for a tank, boiler and pump. About 1.5 metre high by 4 metre long. It's brick, it has to be to support the boiler, plus I've got insulation/plugs to allow me to run a heater if weather goes freezing. Don't want the tank freezing up!

Pressure imbalance isn't a problem if you have all water fed through the pump (apart from the supply to the kitchen - taps/dishwasher which runs off the mains)

The combi is the best solution if you want hot water on demand, but retaining a tank is a good idea as a backup in case water supply cut off etc. My solution was pricey, but see if a plumber can suggest something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

mattia wrote: »
    JonnieK,
    Do you have a problem with the pressure imbalance between hot and cold water?

You won't at the kitchen sink as most kitchen mixers are mixed at the spout instead of the valve body.

My system is not connected to the mains anyway it's fed through a booster so I have equal pressures all over the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mattia

mrcheez,
    Thanks a lot. :) I am getting few people organized to see our system and advise on the upgrade.

JonnieK,
    Thank you.
    We still have some time before getting the job done. I will get all infor togetther and the we will decide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Parraig

Whatever the regulations, I feel that all cold taps should be fed from the mains.

Nobody has discussed the purity of the water from the storage tank in the attic!

I once found a swarm of mouldy bees in a tank - they had come in the overflow pipe and died in the tank.

Last week I ran my storage tank dry by filling the bath repeatedly -
    all sorts of beasties appeared at the end.

The thought of cleaning my teeth with this, or drinking it is pretty awful.

Now none of my relations will clean their teeth at the bathroom taps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

You should have a lid on your cold water storage tank. This would be standard practice in my books.
    Mains throughout all taps would just not make sense.
    One, no water during outage, two, unbalanced hot & cold taps, especially mixers, three, water bye-laws would not permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 mattia

I heard that tank water can be terrible, but I agree with Shane0007 that lid should sort most of the problems out.

I am getting my head around all that water/ boiler/ etc. issues. I will have couple of plumbers come over and diagnose/check our heating/water system.

I wanta good, reliable system (tankless or with tanks) with good water pressure. To achieve that we will chose the best of the solutions without breaking the law. :)
    The last thing I need is a fight with city council or similar. We have to much to do with our place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Use a potable water storage tank feeding a booster pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Best pressure would be tank and booster.

Advertisement