Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skin problems

• 10-01-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hello men,

I'm just wondering if any of the fellas here have had any success with clearing up areas of acne on their bodies. My face is ok but I have terrible skin on my chest and back. Do you go to the GP or maybe to a dermatologist? Make adjustments to your diet? Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭NGO

Grey Fox wrote: »
    Hello men,

I'm just wondering if any of the fellas here have had any success with clearing up areas of acne on their bodies. My face is ok but I have terrible skin on my chest and back. Do you go to the GP or maybe to a dermatologist? Make adjustments to your diet? Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hello Grey Fox.
    I have two books on skin at home. The general theory in both of them is to eat as much raw fruit/veg as possible to clean/build your system and improve your skin. One of the books also suggests high quality protein like brazil nuts, salmon etc whereas the other doesnt mention protein. Sleep, water, exercise,sunlight and stress (or lack of) are important too of course. Any questions I'll see if i can find in the book.

best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

NGO wrote: »
    Hello Grey Fox.
    I have two books on skin at home. The general theory in both of them is to eat as much raw fruit/veg as possible to clean/build your system and improve your skin. One of the books also suggests high quality protein like brazil nuts, salmon etc whereas the other doesnt mention protein. Sleep, water, exercise,sunlight and stress (or lack of) are important too of course. Any questions I'll see if i can find in the book.

best wishes

Diet won't help in cases that are moderate to severe - in fact there is no evidence that diet will help at all - it's all merely speculation. Doesn't hurt to have a good diet all the same though.

You could go down the antibiotics route, you probably wont be referred toa dermatologist until you have tried these and they fail.

So, basically i'd say go see your doc, as he/she can assess the severity and recommend treatment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I used to suffer with my skin for a long time, although what I had was more mild occassional facial acne rather than really widespread problems.
    I never went to a dermetoligist but I researched what they did, and seemingly they just treat the symptoms rather than the cause of the acne.

Seemingly the truth about acne is that those who suffer are always going to be prone to it. Dermatoligists generally say that diet has no affect but I've come across a lot of people online who claim that a bad diet can cause the liver to become quite toxic and for acne sufferers that results in skin problems.
    I then found out that the best solution is to stop eating things with high levels of saturated fats and carbs and detox your liver.
    I have had success using this product...http://www.florahealth.com/Flora/home/canada/Products/r8070.asp

If you eat healthily and live a generally healthy lifestyle and exercise regularly you should see improvements with Flor Essence.
    There may well be other products that do a similar job, I just haven't used them myself.
    A friend of mine experienced similar problems to what you're discribing and I directed him towards Flor Essence and he says it's cleared his skin up brilliantly. He was using Carb suppliments for training and never suffered from such problems before that. If you use these Carb shakes in the gym the acne may your body's way of telling you it can't handle what's in them, the same can be said for your diet also.
    Hopefully you'll have a good reuslt yourself should you try the Flor Essence, it cost approx €30 for a bottle, which should last you a few weeks, and if your skin clears sufficiently you can just continue with the healthy eating and drop the Flor Essence completely.
    I used to get anxious about my acne, I always took good care of myself and having it didn't make sense. It really only developed in my early 20's, not when you'd expect to be getting it.
    Once I tried detoxing my liver and cutting out any bad food, I suddenly found I was in control of it and it's no longer a probelm for me, bar the occasional minor spot here and there, I've got it under control.
    My experience seems to contradict the notion that diet has no affect on acne. Taking care of you liver and intestines seems to be quite an affective, not to mention simple method of avoiding skin problems.

All the best, hopefully what I've said can help you out in some way.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

hey all

there's no problem with discussing skin care in general, and things that you can do to give you a youthful and clearer complexion etc but please don't stray into the realm of giving anything that could be construed as medical advice. That includes suggesting any medications etc, what works for one may not necessarily work for another and may actually cause harm.

As always, if its a real problem for you, the GP is the first port of call, not the internets

Cheers

MM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

hey all

there's no problem with discussing skin care in general, and things that you can do to give you a youthful and clearer complexion etc but please don't stray into the realm of giving anything that could be construed as medical advice. That includes suggesting any medications etc, what works for one may not necessarily work for another and may actually cause harm.

As always, if its a real problem for you, the GP is the first port of call, not the internets

Cheers

MM

I apologise if I came across as giving medical advise or recomending a medication.
    I had success by just eating well and using a non medicated herbal tea to cleanse my digestive system.
    I certainly wouldn't advocate suggesting actual medication to anyone or telling them to do something which would have any side affects at all.
    The solution for me involved no medication or doctors. To be honest I was dubious about how affective it would be when I tried it. Often the simplest thing can be the most affective.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭NGO

Diet won't help in cases that are moderate to severe - in fact there is no evidence that diet will help at all - it's all merely speculation. Doesn't hurt to have a good diet all the same though.

You could go down the antibiotics route, you probably wont be referred toa dermatologist until you have tried these and they fail.

So, basically i'd say go see your doc, as he/she can assess the severity and recommend treatment

Im pretty sure the book "skin revolution" by leslie kenton contains alot of reports and studies from top dermatologists. I did a quick type into google and there seems to be plenty there too..

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

Thanks guys for your very helpful replies.

I'l try some of your suggestions and if unsuccesful I might go to the doctor. Sunlight has had beneficial effects before but this is Ireland so I may forget about that! I'd love to get rid of it cos at the moment I cannot go bare-chested in front of anyone. Have a physio appointment for a back rub in a few days and am dreading the prospect!

Advertisement