Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian Lenihan - Illness and Career

• 27-12-2009 5:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing some less than flattering things posted on another forum earlier surprised me.

BL as Finance Minister has tackled difficult issues since he has been appointed and seems to have borne his illness stoically and done quite a good job.

Could I do the same -probably not. I was surprised with the story but also surprised that it was leaked as you would expect medical issues to be fairly secure. The only reason I can see for its leak was political by someone in the Health Service.

So my questions are.

Is he as a guy is it admirable that he has manned up like he has and is it the right thing to do.

Would his illness be treated differently if he were a woman.

Should he have expected his medical information to be kept private and will its disclosure affect his personnal and professional life.

Other people in senior life can maintain pretence about their sexual orientation etc without a problem.Why not health.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I agree with most of your points.

Minister Lenihan should have been allowed to make his illness publicly known on his own terms. Perhaps he is still waiting for further medical tests to determine how severe the cancer is, so he can consider his position before making an announcement?

However:
    CDfm wrote: »
    Should he have expected his medical information to be kept private and will its disclosure affect his personnal and professional life.

Other people in senior life can maintain pretence about their sexual orientation etc without a problem.Why not health.

I think in this scenario, the public definitely have a right to know if a senior Cabinet minister is suffering from a particularly vicious form of cancer with a very low survival rate that will certainly have a profound effect on his ability to carry out his duties.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The guy hasn't commented and so far the story is only a story not fact.
    If it is true (and i hope it is not) then I wish him all the best.

Generally men are 6 times less likely to visit a GP than women. I'm not aware of any research on how men in the public eye react as opposed to women.
    My experience is that men are more likely to share serious illness details but seem to be more fairly dealt with by the press than women.
    (I'm a male health care professional FWIW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Seeing some less than flattering things posted on another forum earlier surprised me.

BL as Finance Minister has tackled difficult issues since he has been appointed and seems to have borne his illness stoically and done quite a good job.
    Maybe he has, but reading reports he was only diagnosed a week before christmas, and has been out of the public view so we can only guess at this stage. FWIW I'll agree with you though, not that it matters.
    The only reason I can see for its leak was political by someone in the Health Service.

Or by someone in his own party with an axe to grind against him personally.

Is he as a guy is it admirable that he has manned up like he has and is it the right thing to do.

Has he manned up though? He has made no comment nor has his family, and what does manning up have to do with this anyway?
    Would his illness be treated differently if he were a woman.
    I doubt it, but I could be wrong. Cancer is cancer.
    Isn't there a doctor patient code of confidentiality? Shouldn't he as a patient expect the same that anyone else does? As to the disclosure, how can it not?
    To me that's a personal choice and not one that affects their lifespan or ability to do their job as seriously as cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Its an illness and you would be unlikely to speculate about the mental capacity of a disabled person so why this.

I dont think personally it was a public interest need at this time.

The breach of confidentiality is really rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i'd be very wary about suggesting a breach of medical confidentiality on this. tbh such a high level breach could be pretty easily traced, most hospitals have specific policies for dealing with people in the public eye, be that Brian Lenihan or someone like Bono for example. Its more than your jobs worth really to go around spouting stuff.

its probably more likely that rumours spread within either political circles and were leaked to a media source, but right now we don't know the details.

as to whether this illness could effect his ability to do his job, well that depends on what is actually wrong and how far developed the illness is. I guess we'll know more soon enough. No point speculating til we do i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Sorry MM - I didnt mean it that what I meant was that at any point of his hospital vists any nurses clerical staff or whoever could have leaked it.

It was a political thing and people have been hurt by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I think there are enough threads on this subject ... further speculation will lead to naught.

/thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement