Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

El Cant del Barça

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

That's awesome guys... ...I appreciate it a lot. I just downloaded it for myself.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Frustrated Guardiola Calls For Press To Respect His Players And Especially Eto'o

Pep Guardiola has called for the press to show more respect to his Barcelona side regarding transfer rumours and to avoid talking about the will he, won't he intentions of Samuel Eto'o in particular.

The Cameroonian international has been reported to be leaving the Camp Nou this summer and various other players have been put forward to replace him.

Speaking to Marca, Guardiola said that the striker should not be treated this way, demanding "respect for Eto'o, a player who has given so much for Barcelona and of who only has possible replacements."

"He does not deserve this, his future will be decided when it is. There are players here who are doing a lot to try and stay here. The day that we sign someone,, you can publish it, but not now," he said.

"You do not know how the negotiations work and this is where they mess it up. You do not know what players have been contacted nor what decisions are been made. Out of respect to players who have been here six months or fifteen years, do not speak about it."

Guardiola went on to say that he would understand the rumours more if his team were playing badly, but that is clearly not the case.

"I can understand the rumours when a team is playing badly, but the way we are playing, I do not understand it," he mused.

"During the week I have heard that we will have a new front three next year and that we have already signed [Franck] Ribery."

The coach also spoke about his decision to not allow Rafael Marquez to go and play with Mexico, as the defender is suspended.

"If he is suspended, why does he have to go?" he began.

"It is my decision; it is better that he stays here and rests. It would not make sense for him to make the trip and not to play."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/03/21/1167560/frustrated-guardiola-calls-for-press-to-respect-his-players-and-e

Iniesta Out Of Spain Squad; Could Return For Barcelona-Bayern Clash

Barcelona and Spain’s midfield sensation, Andres Iniesta, will be forced to withdraw from La Seleccion’s World Cup qualifying double-header against Turkey next week after picking up an injury during the 6-0 mauling of Malaga overnight.

The 24-year-old tore an adductor muscle and had to be replaced 15 minutes into the second half. After further examination by the club doctors, Marca has confirmed that he will be sidelined for around 15 days.

This will effectively rule Iniesta out of both Spain’s upcoming qualifier against the Turks on March 28 in Madrid and April 1 in Istanbul, and he is also likely to miss Barca’s next league game on April 4 against Real Valladolid.

The club, however, are hopeful that ‘El Nino de Coro’ could return for the Blaugrana’s Champions League quarter-final showdown with Bayern Munich on April 8 at the Camp Nou.

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque is expected to name a replacement for his La Furia Roja squad in the next few days.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/03/23/1170399/iniesta-out-of-spain-squad-could-return-for-barcelona-bayern-clas

Eto'o Becomes Barcelona's Fifth All-Time Leading Goalscorer

Cameroon international forward Samuel Eto'o scored twice in Barcelona's thoroughly convincing 6-0 victory over Malaga on Sunday evening, and his double strike made him a member of a very elite band of forwards.

Eto'o's clinical finishes moved him onto 123 goals for the Blaugrana in official competitions, making him the fifth top goalscorer in the club's glittering history and moving him just one effort behind Mariano Martin in the all-time rankings.

Eto'o moved to Barcelona in 2004 after a hugely successful spell at Real Mallorca, and has since established himself as one of Europe's most prolific strikers in the five seasons since.

It appeared he may have been surplus to requirements at the Camp Nou after Pep Guardiola's re-building began in the summer, but he has proven that he's as important to the Catalan giants as ever, scoring 23 goals in 24 Primera Division matches, putting him in pole position to claim the Pichichi top goalscorer award.

Eto'o's goals edged him ahead of Dutchman Patrick Kluivert in the all-time goalscoring chart, however, he still has a long way to go to catch up with Barcelona's two most famous hit-men.

In position number one is Cesar, who has scored 235 goals in official matches for the club and he sits ahead of Hungarian Ladislao Kubala who achieved 196 strikes in the 1950's.

Brazilian forward Rivaldo completes the top three, with his 130 strikes during his six year spell at the club.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/03/23/1171659/etoo-becomes-barcelonas-fifth-all-time-leading-goalscorer

Iniesta injured yet again. I make that the third time this season. Hope thats the end of them for this season.

More Fab talk.........

Pep Guardiola Told Cesc He Would Run Barcelona Midfield – Report

The lure of Barcelona is even stronger now for Cesc Fabregas as his idol Pep Guardiola is in charge. The Arsenal midfielder has never forgotten a grand gesture that the coach made eight years ago

Pep Guardiola gave Cesc Fabregas a signed Barcelona shirt with a message predicting that the youngster would one day be the controlling influence in the Blaugrana's midfield, according to a report.

With the Arsenal playmaker constantly being linked with a return to the club where he began his career, the coach now in charge at Camp Nou advised him in 2001 that he would be a star.

While Guardiola dedicated the message to the young Fabregas, little did either know then that they could end up working together as trainer and apprentice, El Mundo Deportivo state.

Arsenal are loath to see their captain leave but the Catalan star has already hinted that he will not stay if Arsene Wenger leaves. He may even go unless the Premier League club sign some big names.

Rodolfo Borrell, the coach that helped Fabregas come through his parents' separation, visited Fabregas in London after he had joined the Gunners.

Borrell told the player that he had a present for him and produced the Barcelona shirt signed by Guardiola along with the message, "Some day you will be Barca's No. 4."

The reference to the number that Guardiola donned throughout his time at the Catalan club meant a lot to Fabregas and he is said to have always remembered that gesture.

Now that the former Barcelona idol is in charge at Camp Nou, the temptation for his prodigy to return is said to be even greater.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/03/27/1177506/pep-guardiola-told-cesc-he-would-run-barcelona-midfield-report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

Where does Fabregas play in that midfield, Iniesta and Xavi start ahead of him for Spain and Barca always play with a defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

redout wrote: »
    More Fab talk.........

Now that the former Barcelona idol is in charge at Camp Nou, the temptation for his prodigy to return is said to be even greater.
    Even given the usual crap that floats around (especially at international break time) I really don't understand how this constantly crops up without anyone in the sports media questioning where he'd fit into Barca's current lineup.

It's obvious that Fabregas is beyond moving somewhere for a squad place and given that he's pretty awful out wide, and he's not really a runner of the ball, he couldn't really replace Iniesta. So it'd have to be Xavi - who's barely 29 and is never linked with a move away... so what's with the Fabregas obsession in Spain?

Barcelona have reached an initial agreement to sign Keirrison from Palmeiras. The forward could not hide his delight as he revealed his dream of playing alongside Lionel Messi.

The Blaugrana may still be on course for three trophies this season but plans for next term are already well under way and a recent trip to South America by Txiki Begiristain proved fruitful.

Talks between Barcelona and Keirrison's agency, Traffic, have led to an outline arrangement being made that will see a concrete bid set to follow in the next few weeks.

A price of €15 million was asked, however, the Catalan outfit are determined to see that lowered with a number of clauses and conditions related to the youngster's progress.

The 20-year-old forward has said that he wants to be successful and would relish the chance to play alongside Messi..

"I would really like to play alongside Lionel Messi," Sport quote Keirrison as stating. "He is the best player in the world.

"Since I was very young I have wanted to play… with a great club and, although I have nothing against any others, I have always identified with Barcelona.

"I saw a lot of games when Romario and Ronaldo were there and that made me dream that one day I would play at Barcelona."

Liverpool, Real Madrid and Valencia are all keeping tabs on Keirrison, with los Che tabling an offer in the winter market that was rejected by Traffic

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/03/27/1177457/barcelona-reach-initial-keirrison-agreement-report

• Advertisement

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    so what's with the Fabregas obsession in Spain?

He is one of the top young players in the world and one of their own. Just perhaps, thats the answer to your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Liverpool, Real Madrid and Valencia are all keeping tabs on Keirrison, with los Che tabling an offer in the winter market that was rejected by Traffic

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/03/27/1177457/barcelona-reach-initial-keirrison-agreement-report

This might make the article seem a little less trustworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Nahhh ^^

goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/03/27/1177457/barcelona-reach-initial-keirrison-agreement-report

That's what makes it untrustworthy. :pac::pac:

Does this make it any more acceptable ? I couldnt give a toss who reports it. BBC and Sky are full with enough rubbish and speculation themselves.

Barca near Keirrison deal

Barcelona have reached an initial agreement with Palmeiras for striker Keirrison.

The Spanish giants are set to make a concrete bid for the 20-year-old Brazilian in the coming weeks after agreeing initial terms.

Barcelona director of football Txiki Begiristain met with the player's agency Traffic Sports in South America to discuss clauses and conditions related to the highly-rated striker's progress.

Keirrison, who has enjoyed a successful season with the Brazilian side, looks set for a summer move to Camp Nou with contract talks nearing a conclusion.

Dream
    Delighted with the prospect of a move to La Liga, the young striker revealed his childhood dream of playing for Barcelona.

"I would really like to play alongside Lionel Messi," Keirrison told Sport. "He is the best player in the world.

"Since I was very young I have wanted to play in a country and with a great club and, while I have nothing against any others, I have always identified with Barcelona.

"I have seen a lot of games when Romario and Ronaldo were there and that made me dream that one day I would play in a great club like Barcelona."

Liverpool, Real Madrid and Valencia have been keeping tabs on the youngster's progress, with Los Che having an earlier bid rejected.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5106974,00.html

Kerrison will look good on the bench next season so! :pac: Given the current form of everyone at the club I can't see Pep dropping anyone.

Victor Valdes' agent has told Barcelona that unless talks begin over a new contract, then the club could risk seeing him join one of a number of teams that are interested in his services.

The Catalan goalkeeper's contract expires in 2010 and the Blaugrana are believed to be keen to start negotiations over an extension this summer, but his representative, Gines Carvajal, is not convinced.

After several months without any word, Valdes' agent has spoken out in what has to be seen as a bid to push the club into action.

"For eight months, nothing has been said about the renewal," Carvajal told RAC 1.

"Victor and I are only thinking about Barça.

"But he is an extraordinary goalkeeper that is good enough to play for Barcelona and I know that there are four or five clubs looking for keepers."

One club that has been mentioned is Manchester United, as they may consider looking for an experienced replacement for Edwin van der Sar while promoting Ben Foster at the same time.

Also reported to be watching the situation are Manchester City, while AC Milan and Chelsea could also consider making a summer enquiry for the Barça custodian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Valdes is decent but I always think Barca could do better.
    I'm not sure what the opinion of him is in Spain.
    It's hard to improve the rest of the team but Keeper they definitely could.
    They were linked with Cech a month ago but that was just speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

JPA wrote: »
    Valdes is decent but I always think Barca could do better.
    I'm not sure what the opinion of him is in Spain.
    It's hard to improve the rest of the team but Keeper they definitely could.
    They were linked with Cech a month ago but that was just speculation.

Valdes being Catalan means that unless someone a lot better than him becomes available, he wont be replaced. He's a very good shot stopper but unfortunately, he's also prone to some costly errors in big games.

Jesus the thought of him been linked with United sends shivers down my spine. In Spain he is quite low down the list and doesnt make the Spanish squad. The top three in order are Casillas, Reina then Palop at Sevilla. I think he is a good keeper but makes more than his share of mistakes and shows bad judgement at times. This season he has done quite well. The Juninho free-kick was blown out of proportion (still think it was unintentional) and then the following game he did actually make a mistake and the press jumped on that to and made it bigger than it really was. I actually think this has been his most consistant season.

EDIT: If Barca are looking for a keeper then I would go with Renan at Valencia. He looks promising and is young.

Diego Lopez is ahead of Palop aint he Redout?

I'd have him as well ahead of Renan too. Maybe not as he's ex-Real though :p

Diego Lopez is ahead of Palop aint he Redout?

I'd have him as well ahead of Renan too. Maybe not as he's ex-Real though :p

Well not at Euro 2008. He wasnt even in the squad. Pretty sure Palop has usually been third. Lopez maybe coming in contention this season as he has been performing good.

EDIT: In fact Lopez was in the Spain squad that played Turkey last night and seemingly it was his first ever call-up to the national team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

News of The World saying Fabregas is not saying no to a move to Spain. it alludes to the fact he has not said no to Real either. But the entire story looks like a fabricated bit of lazy journalism
    THE GREAT CESCAPE
    I won't rule out move to Spain, says Cesc Fabregas

By ANDY DUNN, 28/03/2009
    CESC FABREGAS has cast a huge doubt over his Arsenal future by refusing to rule out a move to Barcelona or Real Madrid.

The Gunners captain is a top target for both Spanish giants and, under FIFA rules, could walk out next January unless boss Arsene Wenger persuades him to sign a new deal this summer.

And Fabregas said: "I would not close the door on anybody. Every player evaluates how things have gone and thinks about whether he is happy or whether he can improve his situation.

"I can't control what people say about me but it's a huge honour two of the biggest clubs in football are talking about me."

The Spaniard's £55,000-a-week Arsenal contract expires in 2014 but under FIFA rules, he could buy it out in October when he has served three years.

That would allow him to move in the January 2010 transfer window for a cut-price £16million.

Midfielder Fabregas, 21, has been a wanted man in Spain since helping them win the 2008 European Championship - and Wenger admits he must renew the player's contract at the end of this season or risk losing him.

The Frenchman insisted: "January 2010 is a long time away. We will extend Cesc's contract at the end of the season."
    Idol

Arsenal signed Fabregas from Barcelona and the player admits current Barca boss Pep Guardiola 'is and always will be my idol'. But he denied he ever promised Real he would sign for them.

Speaking yesterday he said: "I never gave my word I would join Real Madrid. If Arsene Wenger asks me to stay, I am sure I will."

gimmick wrote: »
    News of The World saying Fabregas is not saying no to a move to Spain. it alludes to the fact he has not said no to Real either. But the entire story looks like a fabricated bit of lazy journalism

I read in the same paper that the captaincy/winning euro 2008 has gone to his head seemingly and he thinks he is god.

He barely played in Euro 2008 though? Most a sub if memory serves, which if correct, makes the story all the more silly. There is absolutely nothing solid said in the article though, leastly anything to suggest he is in talks with Real.

far more importantly, and redout and Eze would be the best to answer this I think, I have the ol doll almost convinced to do a driving holiday in Spain mid May. Is trying to get tickets for the cup final a fantasy, or are they available? If I got a pair the holiday deal is closed :)

gimmick wrote: »
    He barely played in Euro 2008 though? Most a sub if memory serves, which if correct, makes the story all the more silly. There is absolutely nothing solid said in the article though, leastly anything to suggest he is in talks with Real.

far more importantly, and redout and Eze would be the best to answer this I think, I have the ol doll almost convinced to do a driving holiday in Spain mid May. Is trying to get tickets for the cup final a fantasy, or are they available? If I got a pair the holiday deal is closed :)

He was on the bench for a lot of the tournament but took part in every game I think. He started in the final and had one goal and 3 assists in the tournament so I think he played very well. Scored the winning peno against Italy in the Q/Final. Think he was Giles/Dunphy player of the tournament if I remember.

The Spanish FA have said they wont change venue for the final despite protests. I am keeping my eye out for the tickets. Will let you know when I hear anything.

Thanks. BTW, The RTE POTT was Marcos Senna.

Hmm, article is about 2 weeks old, but a very interesting read. Do not think it was posted here at the time

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/15/bunyodkor-uzbekistan-rivaldo-craig-murray

Death and glory

Political connections and energy resources have put Bunyodkor on the fast track to super club status

Last week several British newspapers carried a story about a "row" between Fifa and the Premier League over the badge on Manchester United's shirt. United had won the Fifa World Club Cup last December and the world governing body wanted them to advertise the fact by wearing a new logo. The Premier League said "no thanks".

The football public here would probably side with their own competition, if they had an opinion at all. The World Club Cup might be worth something to United as it gives them the opportunity to aim for a quin rather than a quad this season, but to most fans it is an impostor, a "made-up" tournament that has no history, no integrity. It is known only for having put a dent in the FA Cup when United prioritised their Fifa matches in Brazil over domestic commitments in 2000. It is seen as something of a joke.

Elsewhere in the world, it is taken more seriously. The next tournament is nine months away, and nowhere is that gestation period more important than in Uzbekistan, the Asian outpost that is home to one of the most remarkable clubs in world football. Bunyodkor of Tashkent, the Uzbek capital, would like nothing more than to take on Manchester United, or even better their mentors and "partners", Barcelona, in the next Fifa World Club Cup. Judging by their progress so far, they might just do it. That would be some rare good news for a country that features high on the list of hellholes for Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and others. Just what the despotic Uzbek government wants.

Four years ago Bunyodkor did not exist. They won promotion from the amateur second division at the first attempt, finished runners-up in cup and league next time out, and in their third season won the double, with a run to the semi-finals of the Asian Champions League to boot. They have a former World Cup winner in the team, alongside the Asian footballer of the year. Now they are getting serious.

Bunyodkor are building a new $150m stadium, despite the fact that their current 15,000-capacity home, built in a few months, is less than a year old. A friendly against Barcelona, whose president, Joan Laporta, flew in to lay the first brick last August, will mark the official opening of their new home this summer.

Other Barcelona connections abound. Lionel Messi, Carles Puyol and Andrés Iniesta were joined by Arsenal's Cesc Fábregas last summer in flying to Tashkent, for a reported €1m (about £700,000 at the time) each, to pull on the club shirt for publicity purposes and hold a football skills masterclass for the locals. Bunyodkor made further headlines with an audacious attempt to sign Samuel Eto'o on a short-term contract. There was much amusement around the world at the idea but they were not joking.

"My head started spinning when I heard what they offered – $25m to play for two or three months," Eto'o told the French television station Telefoot after flying to Tashkent, where he, too, gave a skills session.

Rebuffed by Eto'o, the Uzbek club turned to Rivaldo, a key man in Brazil's 2002 World Cup-winning side. At the age of 36 he was never going to refuse their offer of €10m for two years.

They had another World Cup legend, Zico, as coach for four months, before he moved on take over at CSKA Moscow, favourites to win this season's Uefa Cup.

By the time Rivaldo arrived, Bunyodkor's plan to become a "super club" was already in action. They had set up a three-year partnership deal with Barcelona – with the help of Emmanuel Petit acting as an intermediary – and the club's new badge even copies the shape of the Barcelona emblem.

Last Wednesday, when Barcelona thrashed Lyon to move into the quarter-finals of the Uefa Champions League, Bunyodkor – whose name means "creator" in Uzbek – began their second AFC campaign with a 2-1 defeat of the Saudi champions, Al Ettifaq.

What is going on here? Where does the money come from, and why is this happening in Uzbekistan? A glance at the club's lavish website, which is available in English, gives a clue. There are eight sponsors' logos on the site, all eight of them for gas companies. But that is not half the story…

It is not easy to get into Uzbekistan, which borders Afghanistan. The average weekly wage is below £25, unemployment is estimated by the World Bank at 40 per cent, and nearly a third of the population live below the poverty line. When Observer Sport paid a visit recently, the first thing the Bunyodkor sporting director, Azamat Abduraimov, said was, "You can't write about the heads of the club. We have a little censorship."

And plenty else besides.

European Union sanctions against Uzbekistan were lifted recently, much to the dismay of Craig Murray, the outspoken former British ambassador in Tashkent who has campaigned against the government. Murray says the Uzbek security services use "sheer brutality" against anybody who steps out of line, especially those aligned to the Islamic party Hizb-ut-Tahrir. Torture is widespread, say Amnesty International. The BBC website is barred.

A post-mortem commissioned by the British embassy showed that two dissidents had been boiled alive in 2002. In 2005 hundreds of people were shot down at a public gathering in Andizhan, and there has been no inquiry into the massacre.

Football has visibly become more important to the government in recent years. The autocratic Uzbek president, Islam Karimov, signed a decree which provided tax breaks for football two years ago.

So who is behind Budyonkor? It is not the Arsenal shareholder Alisher Usmanov, the only Uzbek known to football fans in Britain. Speaking at the opening of an exhibition of Turner paintings he sponsored in Moscow, the Arsenal man said he was not Bunyodkor's backer and did not know who was.

"It is very good," he says of Zico and Rivaldo moving to Uzbekistan. "They are great players and can teach a lot." Usmanov may have been out of Uzbekistan for too long. As one fan from Bunyodkor's city rivals, Pakhtakor, says, "Everyone knows who owns the club."

Football officials are unwilling to pull back the curtain and discuss the club's backers. "In Uzbekistan most people are very scared of those in power as they have shown more than once how they deal with those who think differently," says Danil Kislov, editor of the Uzbek dissident news website, ferghana.ru. "It is better to keep quiet. It is a closed society and will remain so for long time."

The nominal owner is Miradil Djalalov, the head of Zeromax, a Switzerland-based company that has the biggest private business in Uzbekistan. The company works in oil, gas and cotton, the latter being Uzbekistan's biggest industry, and runs Uzgazoil, which has petrol stations all over the country. Djalalov is an immensely powerful businessman known locally simply as Odil. And behind him?

Gulnara Karimova, daughter of President Karimov and a would-be successor, is said to be ultimately responsible for the club's rise. Zeromax is widely considered to be controlled by her and dissidents say she is worth billions. Bunyodkor's remarkable rise could not have happened without extremely close ties to the government. "It's part of a campaign by the president to win popularity for his daughter," says Murray. "I hear that she will eventually replace him as president. The regime is trying to win popularity by the old-fashioned bread-and-circuses method."

Karimova is part It girl, part Margaret Thatcher. She is an Uzbek diplomat in Geneva, has her own jewellery line, sings, hosts parties and charity events, designs clothes and has huge business interests. She is said to have controlled Uzbekistan's largest mobile-telephone network and the gold-mining sector. According to a report in The Guardian she is seen as "the only person who can protect the assets of her father's family and cronies".

She acknowledged in a recent interview that human rights is a difficult area but says the situation in Uzbekistan is complicated, not least because of the threat of Islamic fundamentalist violence. Her involvement would make Bunyodkor a repressive government's secret project rather than the secret play toy of a mysterious multi-millionaire. "It is to show the world what does not exist," says Kislov. "That Uzbekistan is very successful."

Late last year, Bunyodkor flew down to Namangan, 200 miles south east of Tashkent in the Fergana Valley, for their last game of the season. Fans set out in cars for the four-hour drive through a mountain pass and past cotton trees stripped bare after the harvest. The Fergana Valley is the heart of Uzbekistan, home to a large proportion of the country's 27m population, and the site of the Andizhan massacre. It is the most passionate football supporting area in the country.

On the way into the valley, all cars – buses are not allowed because of the dangers of the mountain roads – are stopped for a check of documents. A visiting foreigner is noted down by hand in a large book before the car drives through. Signs along the mountain route warn that photography is prohibited.

Abdurahmon Fazilov, head of the Bunyodkor supporters' club, gives a barely believable account of life as a fan. Nobody drinks, he says, very few smoke, and the Bunyodkor followers always clean up after themselves at matches. As for chanting: "It's a team game, so nobody is allowed to sing about individual players, only the team as a whole."

On hearing this, a fan of Tashkent rivals Pakhtakor snorts with laughter. He tells of fights between the two sets of supporters. One report shown to The Observer by Kislov claims that Pakhtakor players were threatened with a pistol by Djalalov after they equalised against Bunyodkor in a game last August. A website floats the theory from an Uzbek football insider that the Bunyodkor fans are a way for the government to use fans as political support.

At half-time in Namangan, two rheumy-eyed home fans stand grumbling about the game and the referee's bias in favour of Bunyodkor. "It's the team of Karimov's daughter," says one fan with a hangdog look before the Bunyodkor media spokesman appears from nowhere to cut the conversation.

The following day, at training, a relaxed Rivaldo is happy to talk. "When I told my family [about Bunyodkor's offer] they were a bit shocked, they wanted to know what sort of country it was," he says. "There are people who say it is not a developed country but it has turned out not to be true."

Rivaldo's new home is bigger than the one he had in Athens, where he played for AEK, and he has brought along his own Brazilian chef. Zico arrived for four months last September after a call from Rivaldo and negotiations led by Djalalov. Uzbekistan was not a complete leap in the dark for him as he had admired the national team from afar in the 1990s when he was coach of Japan.

"It was a lot worse in Japan [than in Uzbekistan] when I went there," reveals Zico, who moved to Sumitomo in 1992, before the start of the J-League and the arrival of Gary Lineker, who was used to promote the game there in the same way as Rivaldo in the Uzbek Oliy Liga. "There is a public which loves football."

Murray is shocked that Barcelona, who have a shirt sponsorship arrangement with Unicef, should be involved with Bunyodkor.

"I am absolutely appalled," he says. "It would be like linking up with Adolf Hitler to promote a Berlin team in the 1930s – it really is astonishing even in the money-mad world of football to be quite that blind to morality."

Barcelona did not respond to requests for a reply to Murray's comments. They did say, through spokesman José Miguel Teres: "We have a cooperation contract with Uzbekistan. There is some technical assistance from our side for the trainers and managers and a friendly game in Uzbekistan to be played in the coming months." The deal is believed to be worth €5m to Barcelona.

Football is a powerful force in Uzbekistan, but the Bunyodkor project is seen as an extravagance too far in a country where many are on or below the breadline. "If you have money like this to pay a foreign footballer then you have the money to pay the people decent wages," says Kislov.

"It is luxury in the face of poverty."

They sound a well dodgy setup.

The whole Uzbeki deal hasn't seemed right from the beginning with millions being payed for a behind closed doors friendly, bizarre photo shoots of our players in Uzbekistan. How Laporta can justify using the club for this kind of stunt is beyond me, surely all the money we're receiving isn't worth the damage to our reputation that will be incurred by this kind of story? Quite frankly I think it's an almighty ballsup on the part of Laporta and I'd rather have a commercial sponsor on the shirt than be associated with this kind of project.

eZe^ wrote: »
    surely all the money we're receiving isn't worth the damage to our reputation that will be incurred by this kind of story?
    But it's not exactly a mainstream thing so the Barca reputation isn't taking that much of a hammering over it... yet, anyway. Ask football fans in Ireland or the UK and I'm guessing the majority wouldn't have heard of the partnership - at best, a small percentage will remember the Eto'o story from last summer. Even fans in Spain wouldn't all know about it, I'd imagine?

As for the money factor, that documentary that was done on Laporta's first year in charge showed that it's a very commercially-driven management... so I reckon the relationship will last the 3 years at least.

But it's not exactly a mainstream thing so the Barca reputation isn't taking that much of a hammering over it... yet, anyway. Ask football fans in Ireland or the UK and I'm guessing the majority wouldn't have heard of the partnership - at best, a small percentage will remember the Eto'o story from last summer. Even fans in Spain wouldn't all know about it, I'd imagine?

As for the money factor, that documentary that was done on Laporta's first year in charge showed that it's a very commercially-driven management... so I reckon the relationship will last the 3 years at least.

This relationship should cease to exist right now. It's a bad image for the club, how can anybody maintain the 'Mes Que Un Club' motto and look down at the people who are seen as less 'admirable' than us when we are selfishly receiving financial backing from a dodgey club in an area of the world where people are poverty striken. It's not fair at all, and I always knew Laporta was a crook, all Spanish presidents are. This is an absolute disgrace, and it's times like these where I'm ashamed to be a Barca supporter.

• Advertisement

Sunsport saying Eto'o is a likely £18m target for Liverpool. That being said, the story looks a bit wishy washy with words like "sunsport understand" and so on....

Personally, I hope Barca nail down his long term contract very soon. Great scorer.

Lol, 18 million? City would give us at least 50... ;);)

I dont get why a player moves from Barca to Liverpool unless your looking for a step down.

redout wrote: »
    I dont get why a player moves from Barca to Liverpool unless your looking for a step down.

can_o_worms.gif

New challenge blah blah blah. Money is a definite factor. Plus maybe he sees Liverpool as a more likely way of picking up a few more CL medals given their recent prowess in the competition.

While Man City would probably offer crazy more money than Liverpool, moving there will do nothing for his career. They will never win anything of note.

In the article I am on about "a source close to Eto'o reveals his admiration for Benitez".

TBH, its a non story imo.

Agreed considering Samu himself stated he wanted to stay at the club for many years. If he does, I can see him breaking into the top 2 scorers of all time for Barca, which would be a huge achievement for an African player in Spain. :D

I really believe that it is man especially if taking the time since Liverpool last won a league title in 1990.

Liverpool since last league title
    0 league titles
    3 FA cup
    3 League cup
    1 Uefa cup
    1 European cup

FC Barcelona over the same period
    8 league titles
    2 Copa del Rey
    1 CWC
    2 European cups

eZe^ wrote: »
    This relationship should cease to exist right now... This is an absolute disgrace, and it's times like these where I'm ashamed to be a Barca supporter.
    I'm not saying it's right - I'm saying I think it'll continue :)

And redout, I think a better comparison would be comparing Liverpool and Barca over the last 4 years or so since Benitez has been there as there's really no point trying to bring in Liverpool's failures under, say, Roy Evans or whoever into how Eto'o would see the club. Although it still wouldn't take account of future ambition, money, etc.

Either way, I reckon he'll stay - probably the best move for him and for the club so I think it'll happen.

And redout, I think a better comparison would be comparing Liverpool and Barca over the last 4 years or so since Benitez has been there as there's really no point trying to bring in Liverpool's failures under, say, Roy Evans or whoever into how Eto'o would see the club. Although it still wouldn't take account of future ambition, money, etc.

I dont see why as Barca are still more succesful than Liverpool over the period since Benitez took over. They have won their league twice and Liverpool have not even been close.

FC Barca
    2 league titles
    1 European Cup

Liverpool
    1 FA cup
    1 European cup

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it's right - I'm saying I think it'll continue :)

Of course it'll continue, Laporta is a slimey lowlife, like all La Liga presidents. I shouldn't have to sit idly by and accept it though, it's a terrible situation.

What could have been.........

Alex Ferguson Wanted Pep Guardiola, Who Wanted Juventus - Agent

Pep Guardiola was wanted by Manchester United nine seasons ago to control their midfield, but he was only interested in joining Juventus, according to Josep Maria Orobitg.

Manchester United were the first club to try and sign Pep Guardiola in his last season at Barcelona, but it was the breakdown of a move to Juventus that upset the player most, according to his agent.

The Catalan playmaker was due to meet Sir Alex Ferguson for talks about a move in 2000, but the Premier League outfit did not want to wait and pulled out of the deal leaving it clear for other clubs.

A number of English clubs moved as well as Inter and AC Milan, but it was Juve whom Guardiola wanted to join, and when that chance went he was unhappy, Josep Maria Orobitg has revealed.

"Pep liked United because he saw a huge club that was the model for how to run an organisation, but he insisted that I only listened and said nothing until Joan Gaspart was approached first," Sport quote the agent as saying.

"Pep did not see things clearly. United became annoyed that everything was taking so long."

Towards the end of the 2000-01 season, Guardiola decided that he would leave Barcelona and after a press conference announcing his choice, Orobitg began to receive calls.

"The first call came from Inter, then Milan called followed by Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal," he continued.

"I met Inter in Milan and went to a sports complex where I spoke to their directors and they basically offered me a blank cheque.

"[President Massimo] Moratti did not want me to leave Milan without have signed a commitment for Pep to join Inter."

Juve then called and made it clear that they wanted to sign Guardiola. That was the move that the midfielder wanted most, and so he instructed Orobitg to push it through.

"Josep Maria, I would sign for Juve for less money and anything else. It is one of the dreams of my life," the agent recalled Pep telling him.

"Moggi then slapped his hand against the table and everyone else had to leave the room meaning that just Moggi, his son Delane and I remained."

Juve delayed the decision to sign Guardiola as they wanted to sell Zinedine Zidane to Real Madrid first and by the time that deal had gone through the Turin-based outfit had changed their minds.

In the event, Guardiola moved to Brescia Calcio in 2001, but his stay in Italy proved to be an unhappy one.

Barcelona Could Move For Chelsea's Cech - Report

With Victor Valdes not settled at Barcelona, the Catalans have targeted Cech as a replacement...

Barcelona could make a move to sign Petr Cech from Chelsea this summer, with Victor Valdes potentially heading out of Camp Nou.

The Chelsea goalkeeper was widely regarded as one of the best in Europe when he moved to England and attracted interest from other clubs on the continent.

El Mundo Deportivo reports that one of those clubs that is still interested is Barcelona, who are having trouble with their No.1 goalkeeper.

Valdes has not yet signed a new contract with the Catalans, and it is believed that he is asking for more money than the club are willing to give him.

With his deal running out, Barcelona may well cash in on him if he does not extend his deal, and this would leave the door open for Cech.

The goalkeeper has been linked with a move to Barcelona before, and the Daily Mail quoted him as saying in 2007 that a move would have to be considered.

"Can I imagine staying in England? That I cannot answer. So far I have been very happy at Chelsea and I have started to love the Premier League. I have got used to life in London and my wife and I like it," he said.

"But in the case of Barcelona showing interest, yes, certainly it would be worth considering."

Two years down the line, it will be interesting to see what Cech's reaction will be were Barcelona to lodge an official bid for his services.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/03/31/1185092/barcelona-could-move-for-chelseas-cech-report

Barcelona Could Turn To Diego Lopez To Replace Victor Valdes - Report
    Spanish sports daily AS has reported that Barcelona could now finally turn their attention to Lopez to solve their goalkeeping issues. Villarreal had set a €20 million price tag on their custodian to fend off Atletico Madrid when they made an enquiry last month, but it’s an amount Barca would be able to afford, especially if they sell off Valdes before his June 2010 contract expiration.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/04/01/1185628/barcelona-could-turn-to-diego-lopez-to-replace-victor-valdes-repo
    ---

Milito to play again this season
    It has been almost a full year since Barcelona centre-back Gabriel Milito had to undergo surgery to repair the damaged anterior ligament in his right knee.
    He has missed the entire 2008-09 season so far and with only ten more rounds to go in the Primera Division, he could potentially go the entire campaign without playing a single game.
    But the 28-year-old has slowly returned to normal training to regain full fitness and many at the club believe his comeback is just around the corner. And the surgeon who operated on him 11 months ago, Dr. Ramon Cugat, has offered another glimpse of hope to the Blaugrana and the Argentine.
    “I am optimistic and we hope that God will hear our prayers and we could see Milito playing at least a few games this season. His recovery is going very well,” he said in an interview with Radio Catalunya.
    “But I want to make it clear that we should expect him to play the important games. If La Liga is settled soon, we could be available to get some playing time.”

Cugat then went on to reveal that he and his team of doctors had to progress very slowly with Milito's rehabilitation.
    “His knee has been doing fine, but we have had to take things little by little because we did not want to overwork the player,” he stressed.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/04/01/1185418/barcelona-doctor-confident-gabriel-milito-will-play-this-season
    ---

Keirrison In No Hurry To Leave Palmeiras
    Keirrison has reiterated that he is no hurry to move to Europe and his agency have revealed that no bids have been made despite the rumours that several clubs have enquired.
    The Palmeiras starlet was reported to have talked to Barcelona last week, while Milan and Liverpool are also said to be monitoring his situation and could move in the summer.
    But the player himself has stated that he is happy in Brazil and while he is flattered by the interest, he is no hurry to make the move to England, Italy or Spain.
    "There are always rumours about my exit, I have had several moments like this," Sky Sports quote Keirrison as saying.
    "It shows that I am working well, but not only me it's the whole team and at the moment I am only thinking about Palmeiras."
    Keirrison is part owned by Traffic Sports Marketing and the president of the company, Jose Hawilla, has insisted that no offeres have been received for the him.
    "Keirrison has not been offered to anyone and he is intending to stay. He is not for sale," he explained.
    "You see the sporting directors from clubs in Spain and Italy here all the time - nobody can prevent them coming. Last week, four from Germany came to watch games. But Keirrison is not for sale."

Broadcasting Issues Could Blackout Vallodolid - Barcelona Match
    The game might not be shown on television...

Valladolid's clash with Barcelona this weekend is danger of not being shown on television due to broadcasting issues.

The home side are part of the G-30 group, which composes of eight clubs from La Primera and all of the Segunda teams, and it is a deal they have with Audiovisual Sport that is threatening the match.

Sport reports that Javier Tebas, the vice-president of the Liga Nacional de Futbol Profesional (LFP), which is the governing body in Spain, has urged the clubs of the G-30 to break their contract with Audiovisual.

If the deal is not broken then cameras could not be allowed into the ground and hence the match would not be shown on television.

As of today, it is not thought that the Valladolid directors are willing to change their mind on the situation, but that will have to change if the game is to be shown.

.This is not the first time that the G-30 clubs have threatened to upset fixtures in La Primera and a few seasons ago they nearly delayed the start of the campaign with their actions.

Bollox..........

Valdes Is The Best Goalkeeper In The World - Barcelona President
    Laporta believes that his number one is the best in the world...

Joan Laporta has declared that Victor Valdes is the best goalkeeper in the world and that he would like to see Cesc Fabregas at Barcelona.

Valdes has been rumoured to be leaving the Catalan club due to contractual issues, mainly thought to be concerning his pay.

However, Laporta told Marca that he is "the best goalkeeper in the world" and will get "what he deserves" as far as his salary goes.

"I believe that he wants to continue and we will be fair with the amount we say so that we can arrive at an agreement," he explained.

Laporta went on to claim that being a Barcelona goalkeeper is "more difficult than at any other team" as "he saves few shots but always has to be on form".

The president also spoke about the possibility of bringing Fabregas to Barcelona, and admitted that it is something he would like to see.

"I would very much like to have Fabregas in a Barcelona shirt but the opinions of the coach is what makes the decisions. We know that he is a big player and that he would fit our style perfectly," he mused.

When asked if Fabregas' hypothetical arrival would give them the best midfield in the world, Laporta claimed that they already "have the best".

"Everything can improve, but the coach decides on things like this. I am sure that he would adapt to the system," he said.

In a rather contradictory statement, when asked about the rumoured interest of Real Madrid in Fabregas, the president said that he sees him at his current club, and "not" another.

"He is a player who is at home and is comfortable with Arsenal, it would show a lack of respect towards Arsenal to speak about this," he concluded.

LoL........

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5137164,00.html
    BARCA CONFIRM FABREGAS FANCY
    Posted 03/04/09 07:00

Arsenal Stage Of Elimination Stage Of Elimination: Semi Final 11/8

Barcelona president Joan Laporta has confirmed the club want to sign Arsenal star Cesc Fabregas.

Arsenal lured Fabregas away from Barcelona as a teenager after he came through the club's youth ranks.

The 21-year-old has gone on to establish himself as one of the best young midfielders in Europe and a host of clubs have been credited with an interest in his services.

Fabregas has been continually linked with a return to his native Spain with both Barcelona and Real Madrid keen on signing him.

Laporta is a big admirer of the schemer and believes the player would fit perfectly into their style of play.

"I would like very much to see Cesc wearing the shirt of Barcelona," Laporta told Marca.

"He was formed in our academy and it's certain he would adapt to our system of play.

"We already have the best midfield in the world but you can always get better."

Arsenal, who are set to welcome Fabregas back from injury for this weekend's clash with Manchester City, would be loath to sell the Spaniard as he remains a key part of Arsene Wenger's plans.

Could do no harm I suppose. It would suggest one or two will be on the ay out though as how can places be found for everyone?

Barca and their president are acting like fuking Calderon and Real Madrid last year over Ronaldo. I see no difference in it at all. Their president is openly saying they want the player and this is like the upteenth time he has said it in the media. Wenger must be nearing the end of his tether at this stage. I actually thought Barca had some class but obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

One player i would love to see them get is Ribery, undoubtably one of the best players in the world atm.

Champions League - Match facts: Barcelona v Bayern Munich

All the facts and figures ahead of Barcelona's Champions League quarter-final clash with Bayern Munich at the Camp Nou.

Barcelona and Bayern are the joint top scorers in the competition with 24 goals apiece.

Miroslav Klose is the competition joint top scorer with seven goals.

The German side have won three and drawn one of their four games against Barcelona in Europe and tasted victory on both visits to Spain.

Bayern have lost only two of their last 18 matches in the Champions League and only one of the last nine on the road.

Bayern have only won one and lost five of the last seven Champions League matches against Spanish opposition.

Barcelona have only kept one clean sheet in their last nine Champions League matches.

Barcelona have won 10 and drawn one of their last 11 Champions League matches against German opposition.

Barcelona's midfielder Xavi has supplied the most assists so far in the competition, five.

Of the teams remaining in the competition, Bayern have scored the most headed goals, four.

The Catalans have scored the most goals from outside the box in the competition, five.

Bayern have scored the most first half goals, 11, whereas Barcelona have scored the most in the second 45 minutes, 14.

Fact monster right there. Considering Bayern's hammering over the weekend, and Barca's much improved defence it'll be an interesting tie. Very attacking, but I think both Barca's attack and defence is better than their German counter parts. Bayern will be relying on Ribery and history to go their was if they wanna progress imo.

No Lucio or Klose for Bayern on wednesday. Things just got a whole lot tougher for them.

Bayern Munich will be without injured central defender Lucio when they take on hosts Barcelona in their Champions League quarter-final first leg.

Lucio, who sustained a muscle injury and was substituted during their 5-1 league defeat by Wolfsburg, will be out for several days.

"His participation for the Bundesliga match on Saturday against Eintracht Frankfurt is also doubtful," the club said on their website.

His fellow central defender Daniel van Buyten returned to Munich after travelling to Belgium for personal reasons and took part in training on Monday. But it was still unclear whether he would be available to play against Barcelona.

"We hope that he can now travel with us to Barcelona," coach Juergen Klinsmann said.

Bayern are also without injured striker Miroslav Klose who is out for several weeks following surgery but Italian striker Luca Toni returned to action and scored against Wolfsburg.

Bayern director Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said the club must quickly atone for the humiliating defeat by Wolfsburg which left them in fourth place, three points off the top with eight matches left.

"We clearly expect that the team bends over backwards now," Rummenigge told the club website. "It is now up to the team. The team has to shoulder the responsibility now."

Rummenigge also backed Klinsmann despite a less than impressive domestic league campaign in his first season in charge.

"The coach has accepted enough public criticism. But it is the team that is on the pitch.

"We have suffered now for two days and we will try to stand up again when we face Barcelona," Rummenigge said.

"This is nearly a mission impossible but through experience we know that wonders do happen in football."

A not so encouraging stat I just plucked from Uefa.

Barcelona having conceded eleven goals, more than any of the other quarter-finalists have the worst defensive record of the teams remaining in the competition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement