Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Dublin Orbital Route

• 24-08-2015 9:58pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Had a read of the new South County Dublin Development Plan 2016-2022 over the weekend. I notice that a new "high-capacity route" is planned for west Dublin from Rathcoole to east Leixlip. Sounds like it'll be a dual carriageway.
    The detail is on p.112 (PDF p.120) of the main document, and it is visible on the index map.

Many of the new roads planned for the council area have been in planning for decades at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

spacetweek wrote: »
    Had a read of the new South County Dublin Development Plan 2016-2022 over the weekend. I notice that a new "high-capacity route" is planned for west Dublin from Rathcoole to east Leixlip. Sounds like it'll be a dual carriageway.
    The detail is on p.112 (PDF p.120) of the main document, and it is visible on the index map.

Many of the new roads planned for the council area have been in planning for decades at this stage.

I think the answer from the rest of the country would be "scat out of that with your hairy paw". When the non Dublin network is complete (e.g. the Atlantic corridor) THEN and only THEN should Dublin come back looking for more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

touts wrote: »
    I think the answer from the rest of the country would be "scat out of that with your hairy paw". When the non Dublin network is complete (e.g. the Atlantic corridor) THEN and only THEN should Dublin come back looking for more money.

Unlike other parts of the country, the four counties (7 councils) in the GDA can fund hefty enough development from levies and local taxation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

It shouldn't be area specific who or what projects get funded. It should come down to strategic importance and how badly the development is required. There are more important projects than this one but I think it's good to see the councils planning ahead for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Saucer of milk to aisle four please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭cgcsb

lol, a bit rich when the under construction Gort-Tuam motorway is costing circa€700m, with no tolls and it'll never reach anywhere close to it's design capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Any road that takes traffic which is travelling from one of Dublin's suburbs to another of Dublin's suburbs away from the M50 is a good idea in my book.

The M50 is of strategic national importance. If local roads can be built which encourage traffic that currently uses the M50 to move off the M50, we should all be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Originally Posted by touts View Post

how about we simply ringfence money generated in the county? that way Dublin could have a fantastic infrastructure, instead of spending hundreds of millions on schemes linking villages...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not convinced such a route will be the actual solution to the problem in Dublin.

It would well turn out like what happened in Birmingham with the M6 they built a toll bypass as the M6 in the city is like the M50 and yet only 40,000 use it daily. Granted it is tolled however even without toll not going to help a lot.

I don't believe the level of traffic bypassing Dublin more less completely justifies a new motorway.

When Leo Varadkar was in charge of DoT he sort of implied such a route is not a solution to Dublin traffic.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how about we simply ringfence money generated in the county? that way Dublin could have a fantastic infrastructure, instead of spending hundreds of millions on schemes linking villages...

You can't on one hand complain about the lack of accommodation in Dublin and busy roads if the vast majority of jobs bring the people there and then complain about infrastructure been built elsewhere that may allow those jobs to be more evenly distributed and relieve the housing and traffic pressure in Dublin.

The infrastructure has to come first then the job availability then the people to follow.

If you look at Sligo for example, its almost equi distant from Dublin, Belfast, Derry and Galway and within an hour of Knock and has a port but it has terrible roads in all directions and a very slow train service. It has a college workforce, a hospital, a nice place to live etc but it has no jobs. Improve its road links and there is a much greater chance of jobs been located there. This would slowdown the migration to Dublin and release pressure there. Eventually the roads would reach there design capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The M6Toll is 7 euros, which is a lot for a bypass of a free but congested route. If the outer road was to connect to the M/N3 then you are looking at a free route to bypass a 3euro toll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

You can't on one hand complain about the lack of accommodation in Dublin and busy roads if the vast majority of jobs bring the people there and then complain about infrastructure been built elsewhere that may allow those jobs to be more evenly distributed and relieve the housing and traffic pressure in Dublin.

The solution to a housing shortage can be building more houses. It doesn't have to be encouraging regional growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

spacetweek wrote: »

The index map is interesting. This is one of the most high-employment areas in Ireland. Yet it's amazing how little land SDCC are proposing to give over to new housing despite the obvious need at the moment.

I sometimes wonder what planning would look like in Ireland if local authorites made money from houses and not from businesses, and not the other way round as is the case at the moment.

I never understand why local authorities are so keen to preserve so many large, dull, grassy open spaces where at best a ball gets kicked around once a week. Give me a small deciduous forest and a playground for the kids any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It shouldn't be necessary to build on greenfield sites. There are swathes of derelict land in Dublin that could be filled with mid rise high quality apartments as high as 10 storeys, problem solved. But of course we're not a sufficiently civilised nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

cgcsb wrote: »
    lol, a bit rich when the under construction Gort-Tuam motorway is costing circa€700m, with no tolls and it'll never reach anywhere close to it's design capacity.

Immense credit must be given to the planning of our inter-urban motorway network. The vast majority of the network has been designed such that it will not need capacity upgrades for decades (if ever). That is a very good thing in my opinion.

Unfortunately, the same definitely cannot not be said for the planning of major urban routes. It has generally been appalling. Dublin, Cork and Galway all fit the bill. Even the likes of the M50, which is just about providing acceptable levels of service at present, has been so badly planned and managed over the years. And it is just barely holding it's head above water now...

Scenarios where a new road starts experiencing any sort of congestion a few years after opening is not a good thing!

I have no idea why people on here are often pro roads being nearly at capacity soon after opening. And against roads being designed with enough headroom so that they won't need capacity upgrades for very long time. It does not make any sense to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

cgcsb wrote: »
    It shouldn't be necessary to build on greenfield sites. There are swathes of derelict land in Dublin that could be filled with mid rise high quality apartments as high as 10 storeys, problem solved. But of course we're not a sufficiently civilised nation.
    Not with that attitude! :mad:

Advertisement