Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

L Roads - Can I see them online somewhere?

• 28-09-2015 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Is there an online map that shows all L road numbers ?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is there an online map that shows all L road numbers ?

TIA

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not all L roads are shown on this unfortunately

No map shows all L roads. By their very nature, most are of little importance except to locals.

Openstreetmap has mapped quite a lot but probably less than 30% overall due to the way they are managed + the way data is provided on them. For example, I asked Galway CoCo for the data, they sent me a 700 page pdf file which could not be scrapped.

Ask for the same in csv, xls, xml etc, nope sorry, no can do.

As a result I only map the few I drive past when out surveying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

On a slightly similar note, is there anywhere I can find the rules/laws that govern L roads.

I know duplicates are allowed, but are duplicates allowed in the same county?

What does something like Lxxxx-yy mean i.e. the dash?

And are there rules on the length of a road. I ask, as near me, there is a road which is signposted as one number, and at the other end, its signposted as a different number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,563 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The dashes are usually used for related sets of cul-dec-sacs, e.g. along a given road all the cul-de-sacs off it may be the same XXXX with incrementing numbers after the dash.

L Roads which cross county boundaries usually have two numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Does Iris Oifigiúil list them?
    That should be scrapable

Does Iris Oifigiúil list them?
    That should be scrapable

No. Each council is responsible for their own, it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

L1011 wrote: »
    The dashes are usually used for related sets of cul-dec-sacs, e.g. along a given road all the cul-de-sacs off it may be the same XXXX with incrementing numbers after the dash.

L Roads which cross county boundaries usually have two numbers.
    Not quite.

L-roads have a 4 or 5 digit number. Any number after a hyphen is the segment number. Segments are sequentially numbered from the from one end of a road to the other and vary from metres to a few km long.

Victor wrote: »
    Not quite.

L-roads have a 4 or 5 digit number. Any number after a hyphen is the segment number. Segments are sequentially numbered from the from one end of a road to the other and vary from metres to a few km long.

I've seen many cases where the hyphenated numbers are on separate dead end sideroads and do not relate to the main roads number though. Actually, that's the only ones I've seen in person - but I've not driven more than a few percent of the total road network I'd imagine!

Sounds worse waste of money than eircodes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

All roads need a number for administrative purposes, it's just the manner of doing them in Ireland isn't really 100% effective in that it's a mess differing from county to county, and the signage is good to woeful.

So, in a country where many roads don't have names. How would you record which roads have been repaired and where? How would you record "Oh, that roads has been repaired 3 times in the last year, maybe the engineer should have a closer look at it and consider a different repair option.

Seems like a mess is all.

The numbering system works something like the attached image. A 'main' local road is assigned a 4-digit number. The more minor local roads off it are then assigned 5-digit numbers, based on the 4-digit number, adding a fifth digit at the end, odd digits for roads on one side of the main road and even digits on the other side. Obviously, issues will arise for longer roads, when new roads are added, etc.

364228.png

However, given that many individuals in quite a few councils haven't a clue, unnecessary issues arise when short-cuts are taken and people who don't know what they are doing copy things verbatim, when they shouldn't.

Here we have the L1017, L1017-4 and L1017-6. Thes should actually be written as L10174 and L10176

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/52.5603/-7.4169

Here we have L96062 and L96062-2. Given that they are non-contiguous and that 6-digit numbers aren't allowed, this suggest that someone messed up.

L96062 http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/209632501#map=14/51.7082/-8.5611
    L96062-2 http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/28227715#map=14/51.7094/-8.5612

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is there not a circular or standard or something for these roads from the Dept of Env?

Is there not a circular or standard or something for these roads from the Dept of Env?

If there is its only given lip service

Advertisement