Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading in an old car

Options
  • 02-08-2015 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I've found a car I'm thinking of buying and the dealer said they would take my current car off me as part of it (I said I had a car that I was interested in trading in) and they gave me a price for this newer car with some money knocked off. My current car is almost 14 years old and only worth a few hundred.

What typically happens when you trade in your old car? Do they do checks and tests on it first? What if it breaks down as soon as I leave in the newer car? I've never traded in an old car before so I'm not sure of the process. I can't imagine they'd sell it as its not worth much. What do they typically do with them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They won't do any checks on an old car. They will have factored in any repairs needed for yours but your car will most likely be sold to someone in the trade for a couple of hundred, garage will want it gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On a 14 year old car they'll pretty much be taking it off you for nothing so usually won't be bothered as long as it gets in the gate on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Type of car?
    Millage?
    Tax/NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

veganrun wrote: »
    I've found a car I'm thinking of buying and the dealer said they would take my current car off me as part of it (I said I had a car that I was interested in trading in) and they gave me a price for this newer car with some money knocked off. My current car is almost 14 years old and only worth a few hundred.

What typically happens when you trade in your old car? Do they do checks and tests on it first? What if it breaks down as soon as I leave in the newer car? I've never traded in an old car before so I'm not sure of the process. I can't imagine they'd sell it as its not worth much. What do they typically do with them?

Thanks.

No no, they take it as it is

If it's 14yrs old u can be sure it's valued close to 100€ in there eyes.

This is all about ur new car,
    Yes they might take it for a spin, but i like to know the garage that really has a 14yr old car as a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

They'll either scrap it or pass in onto somebody who's in the business of fixing them up and selling it on.

You could push the car to the garage and they wouldn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Its got 77,000 miles on it and MOT'd till next July (I'm in the north). They checked and said it was worth £250 but reduced the newer car price by £500 as the trade in. The salesman looked at it but didn't get inside or open the bonnet or anything. Just checked the exterior and the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

What kind of car is it? It could be worth more than you think. The garage wouldn't be taking it off you unless they're making money out of it. Have you tried selling it privately.

Its a Nissan Almera.

I've seen a few others listed online for a similar price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

With only 77000 miles, sell it privately, you will get more for it or sell it to a friend / family member.

TBH a car like that is worth more to have than to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

veganrun wrote: »
    Its a Nissan Almera.

I've seen a few others listed online for a similar price.

If you've done the deal then just trade it in but if not then you could try selling it yourself but you run the risk of losing out on the other car if you wait to sell it first. For the sake of a few hundred if just trade it and be rid of it with no one coming back to you to complain something went wrong.

• Advertisement

If you've done the deal then just trade it in but if not then you could try selling it yourself but you run the risk of losing out on the other car if you wait to sell it first. For the sake of a few hundred if just trade it and be rid of it with no one coming back to you to complain something went wrong.

I'm not in a position financially to buy a newer car just yet, I will probably need to wait until next month.

There's a couple of cars I have my eye on. Hopefully they will still be available then.

Advertisement